Objectivism Online Forum

Another from the Left Coast

Rate this topic

I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring.

I'm a software engineer living with my wife and pet bird in San Jose, CA. My initial introduction to Objectivism was from a girl in high school. She pestered me for six months to read The Fountainhead, claiming that it was "the most rational thing" I would ever read. She was mostly right.

I went through a libertarian/anarchist phase in college, but I got better. :)

I've been studying Objectivism on-and-off for the last 10 years or so. (Some of you may remember me as a semi-regular on humanities.philosophy.objectivism back in the mid to late 90s, back when it was occasionally good for something.) More recently I've been in an 'off-again' phase, concentrating on my career and integrating Objectivist insights into my everyday thinking processes.

I stumbled onto this forum via Diana Hsieh's blog, and it looks pretty interesting. Smart people, polite and engaged in interesting discussions.

One more post and I'll make "Novice". :)

I've been studying Objectivism on-and-off for the last 10 years or so.  (Some of you may remember me as a semi-regular on humanities.philosophy.objectivism back in the mid to late 90s, back when it was occasionally good for something.)  One more post and I'll make "Novice". :)

I certainly remember you. This place is what HPO should be, but isn't and hasn't been for years, which is why I finally left.

My only problem so far is the really inane system they have here for demeaning new members by calling them "newbies" and "novices." :)

My only problem so far is the really inane system they have here for demeaning new members by calling them "newbies" and "novices."  :)

I'm open to suggestions for a better ranking scheme. :)

This place is what HPO should be, but isn't and hasn't been for years, which is why I finally left. 

KESG - I am curious - what name did you used to post under when you were on hpo? If you don't want to answer, I understand and apologize for asking. Also, since you are from Fort Worth - do I know you? I can think of three other people from Fort Worth who used to be on hpo - but none of them were there for very long. :)

My only problem so far is the really inane system they have here for demeaning new members by calling them "newbies" and "novices."  :angry:

I'm not complaining. As I write this, I am a "Junior Member."

At my age, it's nice to be a junior anything.

Yes, you knew me.  :angry:  On HPO I used my real name (Ken Gardner).

Sure. I remember.

"kesg" is simply the first four letters of my real e-mail address.

Well, whatever the origin, congratulations on finally becoming a mononominal! B)