Objectivism Online Forum

Horror File

Rate this topic

RadCap

I was watching BBC America earlier and they broadcast a commercial I just couldn't believe. It apparently is part of their new "Man on the Street" commercials which are aimed at giving it a new, environmentally 'friendly' image. Apparently gone is BP (British Petroleum) and now there is bp (Beyond Petroleum - with the lower case intended to be less 'Imperial').

In this commercial, a couple with a small child is asked:

"So what would you say to an oil company?"

"I'd say: Your products are a necessary evil, but we all use it, we all partake in it, we all enjoy it."

You KNOW things are bad when a company creates an add and calls THEMSELVES -EVIL- (necessary or not).

I was watching BBC America earlier and they broadcast a commercial I just couldn't believe.  It apparently is part of their new "Man on the Street" commercials which are aimed at giving it a new, environmentally 'friendly' image.  Apparently gone is BP (British Petroleum) and now there is bp (Beyond Petroleum - with the lower case intended to be less 'Imperial').

In this commercial, a couple with a small child is asked:

"So what would you say to an oil company?"

"I'd say: Your products are a necessary evil, but we all use it, we all partake in it, we all enjoy it."

You KNOW things are bad when a company creates an add and calls THEMSELVES -EVIL- (necessary or not).

I usually bypass most "horror" stories, having seen more than my fair share of them throughout the years, but I must say that this one is virtually beyond belief. I suppose the only good part is that the commercial was made primarily for a British audience. If that commercial aired on CBS I think I might go back to using roller skates!

Stephen

Actually this is supposedly an international campaign. The ad I saw was apparently FOR the US market. On their US web site, they say the commercial would be seen on networks such as CNN etc. Their austrailian site has similar commercials. And I believe their UK site has them as well.

So you might actually have to get those roller skates.

Translation: "To live is a necessary evil - one cannot achieve the fundamental value of altrism or nihilism while one is dead; but we are all disgracefully evil, we revel in it, and we are unworthy of existence. Praise be upon us."

Stephen

Actually this is supposedly an international campaign.  The ad I saw was apparently FOR the US market.  On their US web site, they say the commercial would be seen on networks such as CNN etc.  Their austrailian site has similar commercials.  And I believe their UK site has them as well.

So you might actually have to get those roller skates.

Yikes! Anyone want to buy a shiny red corvette convertible?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...