Objectivism Online Forum

Clerks II

Rate this topic

Maybe it's just because I am 17, but I loved this movie. Although incredibly crude (like the first one) it was hilarious and even appealing to my objectivist views. The movie is based around Dante, who ultimately realizes he must choose his own destiny and stop allowing others (like his girlfriend) to control his life. Also his best friend Randal is very in touch with rationality. One of the funniest parts of the movie is Randal's interaction with Elias, a 19-year-old, sheltered, extremely religious dork in love with transformers and LOTR. This is not exact but:

Randal: "So you and you're girlfriend have been dating for over a year but haven't sex?"

Elias: "Well she really wants to...but Pillowpants is in the way."

R: "Pillowpants?"

E: "Her vagina troll."

R: silence

E: "(completely serious) You know how when girls are young their parents put a troll inside their daughter's vagina so she doesn't have sex."

R: "No."

E: "Well Pillowpants will bite anything off that even goes near it."

R: "Wow, I'm surprised you guys have even kissed yet."

E: "Well, we would have if it wasn't for Listerfiend...."

Anyway, I thought it was an essentially pointless and disgusting movie. But, I loved every minute and maybe I am just looking too hard, or there really are some positive almost-objectivist messages.