Objectivism Online Forum

Wikipedia on Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

Silverhawk

Rand was born in Saint Petersburg, Russia, and was the eldest of three daughters (Alisa, Natasha, and Nora)[3]of a Jewish family. Her parents, Zinovny Zacharovich Rosenbaum and Anna Borisovna Rosenbaum, were agnostic and largely non-observant.[4] From an early age, she displayed an interest in literature and films. She started writing screenplays and novels at the age of seven.

The quote above is from wikipedia. From what I know I don't think Rand came from a Jewish family. Can someone verify this, and make necessary changes to the wikipedia if necessary.

Can someone verify this, and make necessary changes to the wikipedia if necessary.
It is completely true, and it's a fundamental problem with Wikipedia as a reliable source of information. If you want, you can change the truth to say that she came from a Martian family, and probably someone will change it back; but you can re-change it. I've long thought that Wiki is communist and this proves it, but that was apparently an unpopular view. They've tried to cover up his death, also his fondness for baboons, and his propensity for prevarication. Remember, truth on Wikipedia is a social construct. What matters is what you believe.

Ha! love it. Actually Jimmy is an Objectivist. I used to see him debate on a.p.o., and h.p.o.m., and was a subscriber to his list mdop. Very smart guy.

Wikipedia is an interesting experiment. I go there often, but realize that you always have to question the source. The better reference the material, the mroe I trust it.

I am generally very happy with Wikipedia despite how susceptible to misinformation it seems to be in theory.

With regards to the accuracy of Wikipedia, I found this study to be particularly interesting. Granted, the study was comparing a mere sliver of the wealth of knowledge that both Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britannica contain, it nevertheless warrants some praise for Wikipedia.

From personal experience, I found Wikipedia to be very good about not succumbing to hearsay. Examples include Wikipedia accurately recording that Thomas Crapper did not invent the toilet but merely marketed it as well as accurately discrediting the urban legend that Stanford University was founded because Harvard University curtly dismissed Leland Stanford when he wished to donate a large sum of money in honor of his late son Leland Stanford Junior. Although the latter can probably be presented to be a little more obvious upon reading the page.

Edited by DarkWaters