Objectivism Online Forum

Hi!

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the concept of objectivism although I've been living many of the basic principles of the philosophy for some time and didn't realize it. I'm very interested in learning as much as I can and hope that I can also contribute something around here. :)

-Wes

Hello Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the concept of objectivism although I've been living many of the basic principles of the philosophy for some time and didn't realize it. I'm very interested in learning as much as I can and hope that I can also contribute something around here. :)

-Wes

Welcome Wes! When you say "new to the concept" tell us what that means. What do you know about it? How have you learned about it so far? Helps us understand where you are coming from.

Welcome Wes! When you say "new to the concept" tell us what that means. What do you know about it? How have you learned about it so far? Helps us understand where you are coming from.

What I mean is that I'm new to being aware of it as a philosophy in itself. I have always seen things in a different light than most people I know, and I had never found a philosophy or group that my personality traits fit into so well until I found out about objectivism. I was raised as a Christian, but turned away from the church long ago. I just couldn't find a rational reason to follow what I saw as pointless dogma. I learned about objectivism from reading Atlas Shrugged and The Virtue of Selfishness. Since then I've been reading as much as I can about the philosophy to learn more. I guess I consider that I've been an objectivist for a very long time, I just never realized it.

Thank you for the kind welcome.

-Wes

Welcome to the forum Wes, I hope that you find this place as useful as I have over the months I have been using it (well over the last year or so). You could hardly have come to a better place. :)

[Opps..this has been edited to fix the accidental repition of the whole message :D ]

Edited by Prometheus98876

I suggest reading OPAR next. I've found it to be the right progression after Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead. OPAR contains the entire philosophy, without getting into too much detail, so it is nice to get the raw data on entire Objectivism.

I second Olex's comment. I'm reading OPAR now and, while I probably would have found it (somewhat) useful after reading Atlas, now that I already know the philosophy quite thoroughly it just seems like a dry repetition of things I've already read.