Objectivism Online Forum

String Theory

Rate this topic

I will agree with you Stephen on the basis of Philosophy. However, I was wondering if there is any scientific merit in the theory-meaning, could some parts be right and others wrong? If so, which would be correct?

I will agree with you Stephen on the basis of Philosophy.  However, I was wondering if there is any scientific merit in the theory-meaning, could some parts be right and others wrong?  If so, which would be correct?

My comment was not based solely on philosophical grounds, but on scientific grounds as well. String theory is an elaborate mathematical structure for which there is no experimental evidence whatsoever. It is a mathematical fabrication based on arbitrary speculation, and remains insulated from experimental test by the very nature of the speculations upon which it is based. This insulation from experiment has insured continued funding during the past two decades, and the scam will go on as long as they can get away with it. The real pity is the waste of money which could have gone to valid research.

Here is a pointer to a nice non-technical article written by an acquaintance of mine from one of my old alma maters. Peter Woit is a mathematician/physicist who has been quite outspoken against string theory for some time. I do not always agree with what Peter has to say -- indeed, he is not even critical enough of string theory -- but he makes a decent case which the layman can understand in this article.

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/...l/assetid/18638