Objectivism Online Forum

What if California were to secede from the USA?

Rate this topic

Geoff

Ive been giving this some thought, not because I think its likely to happen, but its just funny to think about. Imagine what would happen if California became its own country. I would give my left nut to see what constitution they would come up with. Let the law makers in California see exactly how destructive there policys are and let Nancy Pelosi rule as queen over the land. This would be most beneficial to the US I think. Terrorists would try to attack Hollywood, and the Californians or Pelosians cant protect themselves, because they dont own guns anymore. They would be forced to seek protection from the US, and pay a hefty price for it. And as for the energy needs, I really dont know what they would do about that one since fossil fuels ruin the enviroment.

Anybody else have any take on this topic? Would it be beneficial too the United States or destructive?

Edited by Geoff

Terrorists would try to attack Hollywood, and the Californians or Pelosians cant protect themselves, because they dont own guns anymore.

What kind of terrorists do you think would attack the hypothetical People's Republic of California and why do you think they would do so? This nation, assuming Arnold was no longer in charge, would certainly be more appeasing of islamic extremists than the residual United States. Let's not forget how the University of California system as a whole has been more sympathetic to terrorists organizations who stand for the destruction of Israel, such as Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad, more than any other public university system in the United States.

Silicon Valley along with world class research institutions such as Stanford University, the California Institute of Technology and many others would surely be missed if California were to secede.

What kind of terrorists do you think would attack the hypothetical People's Republic of California and why do you think they would do so?

Islamic terrorists, because they dont even distinguish between people who believe in Islam. Look at the sunnis and shiites, they both believe in different forms of Islam and yet they blow each other up. Now this may be over a power issue, but as California becomes more accepting of Islamic terrorism, terrorists are going to flock to Cali. because of it's geographical location next to the US and the last remnants of anything America which would become and easy target for attack.

On the issue of wether or not it would ultimately be good for the US, I would have to reject my previous statment when it comes to terrorism.

• 2 months later...

As a citizen of California, and a member of its Government (I am a state employee), I can always say that this state is pretty [naughty words].

You asked about our constitution. Well, we have a constitution. Its about 140 pages long (not a misprint). I'm sure no one on this board can tell me any lines from our constitution (not even myself).

But, what does our constitution say? Unlike the other 49 states, California is very much of a Democracy. We, the people, vote on some of the laws. Sometimes we make a law that is really really good ("Prop. 13" - This limits how much property tax the state can collect) but most of the time we make really really bad laws (see our gun laws, as an example). If we become our own country, I'm sure guns will be banned.

Lets see... we have the ability to throw out, by popular vote, the governor and any other constitutional officer (such as the Controller, The Treasurer, Insurance Chairman, etc). Why should that power be put in the hands of the people, when it should really be the assembly and senate? If we become our own country, I'm sure it'll get worse.

Lets talk about internal politics, shall we? Right now, Southern and Northern California are fighting about water. So. Cal wants water. Nor Cal has water. Whoever is in power this year gets to decide who has water, and who doesn't (or, to be more blunt, which farmers can continue to grow crops and be successful, and which ones can't). This problem, in the past, gotten so bad that in 1945, California almost broke in half, becomming two seperate states (the state of Jefferson, and California). The only thing stopping California from breaking away was Japan bombing Hawaii (infighting during a war was frowned upon back then). If Cailfornia became its own country, it wouldn't last long.

Would terrorists have a field day in California, if we became our own country? Sure. Kiss SF goodbye. Kiss LA goodbye. Kiss SD goodbye if we ever become our own country.

Will California ever become its own state? I would say no. All the counties east of I5 (which are a deep red color on the political maps) will not go for it. Everyone who lives east of I5 (or maybe even further west of I5) sees SF and LA as being nothing more then a laughing stock. And the idea that SF and LA gets to dictate how everyone will have to live will cause those countries to rebell in a heartbeat and to be put back in the Union.

Or, was this thread about SF and LA becomming its own country? In that case, its a different story... :worry:

... in 1945, California almost broke in half, becomming two seperate states (the state of Jefferson, and California).

Imagine that! I'd love to see a U.S. state named "Jefferson." Of course, having a good name doesn't equate to having a more moral government.

Would terrorists have a field day in California, if we became our own country? Sure. Kiss SF goodbye. Kiss LA goodbye. Kiss SD goodbye if we ever become our own country.

I think you're overestimating the threat of terror. If we haven't had a major terrorist attack in the US since 9/11, I'd say it's simply because the terrorists aren't determined enough, and there aren't that many of them.

Ive been giving this some thought, not because I think its likely to happen, but its just funny to think about. Imagine what would happen if California became its own country.

Aren't there enough anti-American countries? Do we need another one?

Seriously, as has been said, California provides a huge chunk of the American economy. I read a few years back that if California were a country, it would have the sixth largest economy in the world. Plus a lot of defense contractors are based there, too. Overall, it would be bad.