Objectivism Online Forum

Arts Cruise, January 6, 2008

Rate this topic

Linda

We sail in 15 months!! A few people have contacted us saying how much they would enjoy joining us on the Arts Cruise, but that they already have plans. :D Many have mistakenly thought that the cruise leaves this January; not so, we leave January 6, 2008. So get those deposits in and reserve your space. It only takes $250 per person to secure your reservation and no additional money is due until October 1, 2007. Rates start as low as $540.21. That includes your accomodations and all meals for 7 days!

The Arts Cruise will be a great place to attend lectures during the day, enjoy good company over fine dinners, take in shows, enjoy exclusive musical performances and run about on several Caribbean shores in between. It is going to be a rewarding journey!

We have made some recent changes to the Arts Cruise web site making it easier to find out about rates and reservations. Space is limited so early reservations are strongly encouraged.

Be sure to check out the Cruise Blog where regular posts are being made covering a variety of topics, including travel tips, destination information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Feel free to invite family and friends to join you. The Arts Program is an optional feature. Those not interested in participating in the arts program are welcome to come along for the cruise only experience.

We look forward to welcoming some of you on board for our first Arts Cruise. :) Feel free to contact me at the gallery, [email protected], or message me through the forum if you have any questions or comments.

• 5 months later...

Only 40 cabins remain for this wonderful journey. If you have been thinking about joining us but have yet to make your deposit, please contact us as soon as possible. A $250 per person deposit is all that is needed now with the balance not due until October 1, 2007. I am available to answer any questions that you may have and I

am posting information of interest in the cruise blog.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Returned yesterday to 37 degree but sun-shiny (which is the norm actually at this time of year) weather in Colorado. My light jacket was perfect for it. Ah, home.....

I want to be sure to thank Quent and Linda Cordair, and all of the artists (mostly performing artists that I now regret I had never heard of before the cruise, but also including Bryan Larsen) for the fanastic job they did on the Arts Program. THANKS TO ALL!!!

(PS Before someone wonders why I left him out, I am happy to note that Damon Denys was also there but not part of the program.)

Returned yesterday to 37 degree but sun-shiny (which is the norm actually at this time of year) weather in Colorado. My light jacket was perfect for it. Ah, home.....

I want to be sure to thank Quent and Linda Cordair, and all of the artists (mostly performing artists that I now regret I had never heard of before the cruise, but also including Bryan Larsen) for the fanastic job they did on the Arts Program. THANKS TO ALL!!!

(PS Before someone wonders why I left him out, I am happy to note that Damon Denys was also there but not part of the program.)

AHH! I'm totally a Bryan Larsen fangirl!!

Steve, do you or anyone else who went want to give us a run down. What were your favorite sessions? I'm particularly interested in the Larsen sketch session, and of course how Monna Vanna was.

I was considering going at the last minute, and I think part of me will regret not doing it. Linda said it'll be a while before they do it again.

Athena, eat your heart out. I owned a Larsen sketch; only for a week until I gave away it as a gift though. Great stuff!

Hmm, let me see.

There were basically three events that concerned painting and sculpture. The rest was performing arts of one kind or another. Not wanting to compare apples to oranges I'll split things up that way.

There was a series of lectures by Dianne Durante (I hope I spelled that right) on the history of art and also some art appreciation. I missed the last history of art lecture however due to a long shore excursion, but on the whole I enjoyed the lectures.

Bryan Larsen gave a talk that was essentially a chronological sketch of his career, showing paintings and talking about the things he learned while doing each one. Enjoyable, unfortuntely I missed parts of it that were undoubtedly about paintings I really like. I think this edges out the sketch session in my mind as to being my favorite of the two but its a very slim margin. He showed on the second to the last slide a work he did on commission, and when I saw it, my response was "Oh.....My......God!" I think it's my favorite of his works, and I got to see it for only a minute, and will never see it again. Alas there will *never* be a print of it, that was a condition of the commission. (mumble, mumble....)

Bryan Larsen started and came close to finishing a sketch of one of the women who was on the cruise, commenting about what he is doing (I understand that it is very unusual for an artist to be able to talk while working!), Quent Cordair provided additional commentary (I wish he had had a mike).

Okay, on to the performing arts....

There were multiple sessions involving music of some sort or another; I don't have the formal names in front of me so please forgive my vagueness. One was a discussion of what is missing in violin and cello recitals (basically for the past 50 years they've been predominantly sonatas which are so dominated by the piano you get very little violin and cello). That was helpful to me. There was a session of short German songs (can't remember what they are called) and Russian songs as well. There was a "Cornucopia" with original piano works (many inspired by art from the Cordair gallery) and some short arias, there was an evening program by Robin Field the last half of which was fantastic (missed the first half). I really appreciated that; it was a badly needed emotional boost! And at least one other event I just can't remember--my crow is broken.

Not to ignore.... Monna Vanna. Here I must report no opinion of the piece itself. I was able to hear the first act, and part of the second. After that most of the dialog was quieter and I was effectively watching a silent movie. Unfortunately we were enjoined from moving after the start of the second act due to the squeaky floor and basically the rest of the play was completely lost on me. I *did* see and hear enough to know the actors and director did their jobs quite well.