Objectivism Online Forum

Neal Boortz is talking about the AS movie

Rate this topic

The Wrath

just thought you'd like to know

He didn't say much about it...just voiced his approval for the selection of Angelina Jolie to play Dagny.

Yeah, but I think Neal approves of Angelina Jolie in general. I doubt if it's anything specific to do with the movie.

Neal Boortz is a libertarian, with a small L, as are the people who post on this board. Yes, he is also a member of the Libertarian Party, but they've pretty much disowned him, and the feeling appears to be mutual.

Except for a few positions, Neal Boortz's political positions are practically indistinguishable from Ayn Rand's.

I remember at some point Neal Boortz had an advertisement of Atlas Shrugged with the caption "Learn about Libertarianism." Thankfully, this misinformation no longer seems to be on his website. :)

It will actually be somewhat interesting to see how the Libertarians react to the Atlas Shrugged movie. Will they approve of it because of its pro-freedom politics, or disown it because of their hostility to Ayn Rand?

In my experience, most Libertarians are not "hostile" to Ayn Rand. They don't agree with all of the philosophy that underlies her politics, but they still consider her to be a great woman and an inspiration. I think the movie will receive a positive reaction from Libertarians.

One thing you have to remember is that an AS movie is not going to be able to delve into epistemology and metaphysics, because such a topic would bore the audience to tears. Political movies, when well made, can often become crowd pleasers, however. Since the book lacked anything about foreign policy, I can't think of any of the book's politics that would be opposed to the Libertarians' positions.

Edited by Moose

Except for a few positions, Neal Boortz's political positions are practically indistinguishable from Ayn Rand's.

How is Neal Boortz on foreign policy? I do not actually know. Otherwise, this is probably true. However, we still must recognize the importance of the more fundamental echelons of the intellectual hierarchy. If someone hypothetically "agrees" with Ayn Rand on a political issue for diametrically opposed reasons, then it would not really be accurate to say that they agree.

How are Neal Boortz's ethics? I rarely listen to his radio show (despite living in Atlanta) and I could not tell from reading his book. I suspect that he does not really talk about epistemology or metaphysics.

In my experience, most Libertarians are not "hostile" to Ayn Rand. They don't agree with all of the philosophy that underlies her politics, but they still consider her to be a great woman and an inspiration. I think the movie will receive a positive reaction from Libertarians.

When my friend first resurrected my university's Objectivist Club, many Libertarians attended the first few meetings seemingly for the purpose of haranguing him. Mostly, to my recollection, on foreign policy issues and to claim that Objectivists do not understand Kant.

Furthermore, at the first two Dr. Yaron Brook lectures I attended, a handful of Libertarians showed up for the purpose of being antagonistic.

These are just some examples, but in general most Libertarians seem to be hostile towards Objectivists due to their antipodal positions on foreign policy and for the fundamental philosophical differences. Many Libertarians might still be seething over Peter Schwartz's Libertarianism: The Perversion of Liberty.

How is Neal Boortz on foreign policy? I do not actually know.

He would do well to participate in disucssions on here. That is to say that he would not be opposed to turning the entire Muslim world into a parking lot.

How are Neal Boortz's ethics? I rarely listen to his radio show (despite living in Atlanta) and I could not tell from reading his book. I suspect that he does not really talk about epistemology or metaphysics.

You're right...he does not mention epistemology or metaphysics. His ethics are firmly rooted in individualism. He regularly uses the word "individualism" and frequently defends the profit motive, particularly in regards to the oil companies.

Now, since he doesn't talk about philosophy on his show, I don't know what metaphysics or epistemology he uses as his base for his belief in individualism. I do know that he believes in God and claims (rather unconvincingly, IMO) to be a Christian. He has said before that he does not "believe in atheists," because he doesn't believe any rational person can look at this universe and not believe in a God.

I don't hold that against him though. I know plenty of otherwise rational and entirely moral people who believe in God and are Christians. Whatever his philosophical flaws, this country could use a lot more people like him.

In general most Libertarians seem to be hostile towards Objectivists due to their antipodal positions on foreign policy and for the fundamental philosophical differences.
I don't think that's the case, at least no more than Objectivists are "hostile" toward Libertarians.

I agree with hunter. Your example of Libertarians "hostile to Objectivism" is one that takes place on a college campus. Considering that 95% of college Libertarians are just right-wing hippies who want to legally smoke pot, this makes perfect sense. Some of the older more real-life oriented ones still find a lot of inspiration in Ayn Rand, even if they don't agree with all of her philosophy.

I agree with hunter. Your example of Libertarians "hostile to Objectivism" is one that takes place on a college campus. Considering that 95% of college Libertarians are just right-wing hippies who want to legally smoke pot, this makes perfect sense. Some of the older more real-life oriented ones still find a lot of inspiration in Ayn Rand, even if they don't agree with all of her philosophy.

This could be true. I certainly am exposed to a biased sample of Libertarians. Perhaps a lot of the kids I had in mind will grow out of their obnoxious and antagonistic phase.