Objectivism Online Forum

Our Status As the Best

Rate this topic

JASKN

While I believe gun rights are important, I don't believe that they are NEARLY as important as freedom of expression or economic freedom.

Tell that to George Washington.

The American Revolution was not won with free speech or a free economy.

It was won with muskets, bayonets, cannons, rifles, pistols and swords.

• 3 months later...
I don't think the USA rocks. New Hampshire and Nevada rock, but not the whole shabang.

Furthermore, as a (semi-)country, I think Guernsey and Jersey rock. Of these Channel Islands, Sark is renowned to be the most free.

That makes no sense. When you wrote that post, Sark was the only place in Europe to still be ruled by feudalism! The islanders and all property were actually owned by the ruling family! And cars are banned!

• 2 weeks later...

When You say "the best" you have to mean "overall"

We were founded on the preinciples of the Enligthenemt so that gives us an advantage in our basic identity. Most other nations were founded on the accident of race, geography and culture.

The violoations that our government perpetrates are ABBERATIONS, not the norm. and five will get you ten that they are fewer than in other countries. If The US gets worse, the others will beat us there and our principles will enable a quicker and better recovery that the ethnicity-based countries, most of the world, don't have. Beyond that, the liberty that other contries have is a US export.

Now which nation has the best OVERALL track record?

Finally the "full-boat" test. The boat comes here, and leaves here. that is, it brings people in and it takes people out. In which phase does it have more one-way passengers?

Am I wrong to assume a connection between GDP per capita and Economic Freedom?

I think so. GDP = consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports — imports).

My guess is that Hong Kong has low government spending and an unfavorable (by GDP calculation standards) ratio of exports to imports.

Am I wrong to assume a connection between GDP per capita and Economic Freedom?

I think so. GDP = consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports — imports).

Well, that's what the GDP gets spent on. But what the GDP is is: Gross Domestic Product. And how much each individual is able to produce in an economy very much depends on how free that economy is.

Well, that's what the GDP gets spent on. But what the GDP is is: Gross Domestic Product. And how much each individual is able to produce in an economy very much depends on how free that economy is.

No, that's what GDP is (perhaps it's a misleading name). While GDP and production are related, one is not the other.

No, that's what GDP is (perhaps it's a misleading name). While GDP and production are related, one is not the other.

Laszlo's right. This is just the "spending allocation" model of determining GDP.

No, that's what GDP is (perhaps it's a misleading name).

I've never been a fan of these sorts of statistics anyway, but if the GDP is not supposed to measure the domestic product, then what is it supposed to measure? As West said, the formula you gave is the spending allocation model, but what else can you allocate for spending than things that somebody has produced?

The overall wealth of any market depends equally on the freedom of interaction on this market, i.e. the freedom inside the market and the freedom to cross the market borders (Indizes of economic freedom usually only capture the former) and its size. The US is huge, that plays in their favor.

Edited by Tordmor