Objectivism Online Forum

Let's cast Wizard's First Rule

Rate this topic

Groovenstein

Wizard's First Rule, the first in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, is reportedly being made into a miniseries. Since we have so much fun casting Atlas Shrugged, and I just finished reading Wizard's First Rule, I thought I'd start a thread to cast this one.

Please, please, please, do not discuss the substance of the books in here. I plan to read all of them and don't want any spoilers sneaking their way in here. :) We have threads for the substance of the books. Others may feel as I do. Also, it's probably best to use the characters' names in as short and simple a form as possible, so as not to give away any name changes that may occur in the story.

So I'll start:

Richard (strong-looking, handsome but not a pretty boy) - Viggo Mortensen ("older"), Christian Bale (younger), Paul Walker (younger)

Kahlan (pretty, angelic, but can be fierce) - Cate Blanchett ("older"), Keira Knightley (younger)

Zedd (old, smart, funny) - Christopher Walken*

Darken (strong-looking, evil, smart, arrogant) - Vin Diesel*

Denna (a gorgeous, tough, nasty woman) - Angelina Jolie*, Lucy Liu

I included the older/younger thing in anticipation of discussion as to how old the characters should be. Suggestions with an asterisk were made by my friend.

Both Richard and Kahlan are about mid-twenties in the first book. I don't think Goodkind really says anything about the exact age of the other characters, although Darken Rahl is probably around 40 years old, and Denna is around 30ish I would say.

Matt, do you want to stay true to the approximate appearance the characters have in the series itself? Most of the books have a cover that shows some of the characters, and over the course of the series I think most main characters pass that particular revenue. Minor details are probably not so important, so there's a lot of leeway there, but I think it would be best to remain as close to their described appearances as possible within the context of having good actors for it :P

It's probably more important to find someone who can portray the character magnificently, rather than try to emulate the exact appearance.

Oh, and true D'Harans are blonde haired with blue eyes; I suppose you can easily fix this with colored lenses and hair dye, but still. Not sure how Vin Diesel would look with hair, I think I've only ever seen the guy as being bald.

Oh, we also need a voice for Shar (the night wisp), of course! :)

Edited by Maarten

• 2 months later...