Objectivism Online Forum

Alias

Rate this topic

I picked up the first season of Alias on DVD, and my wife and I enjoyed it tremendously. (In fact we watched 11 episodes straight at one point.) It's well-acted, well-produced, well-written and features intelligent protagonists using their minds to defend the United States from criminals, thugs and terrorists.

What's not to like?

That said, I was somewhat disappointed with the second season; they simplified the underlying conflict significantly and by the end it was starting to show signs of X-Files Syndrome (when the complexity of the back-story and the constantly-changing alliances starts to overwhelm all other aspects of the show). I haven't watched the third season as yet, so I can't comment on that.

My girl is an Alias fan and it is the only T.V show she watches AT ALL. She has really enjoyed it though and watches it every week.

Does it live up to the hype? What do you guys think about this television show?

I have watched the show from its beginning. I do not think it to be a great show, but I do find it quite enjoyable.

The main attraction is the lead character Sydney Bristow, played by Jennifer Garner. Smart, capable, beautiful, and ready to kick %$# whenever needed. She floats into a ballroom and every man turns his head to glimpse the skin revealed where her beautiful gown is not, and two minutes later she battles three bad guys and does not mess her gown as they fall to the floor. Garner has a bit of the physical stature of a young Audrey or Katherine Hepburn, a wonderful mix of poise and beauty.

The story lines vary from good to so-so; some intriguing plots followed by something more usual. One of the best characters -- Sydney's mother -- provided a great deal of plot surprises. Unfortunately, she is now gone. All in all, it is an enjoyable show, but not heavy-duty drama.

p.s. I understand that Quentin Tarantino will be reprising the role which he played in earlier episodes of Alias. Vivaca Fox, from Kill Bill: Vol. 1, is currently involved in the storyline.