Objectivism Online Forum

Penn & Teller Bulls...

Rate this topic

2). Is it possible for someone to function in life with objectivist views and not be aware of objectivism as a philosophy?

interestingly, I was listening to my roommate have a conversation with one of his friends, in which he concluded that:

1: making money is a good thing

2: the world would be a better place if people looked out for themselves rather than other people.

3: handouts like welfare only make people lazy

all of this from a black guy who was raised ina devout Jehova's Witness. Needless to say, I was very pleased at the conclusions he made.

• 2 weeks later...
2). Is it possible for someone to function in life with objectivist views and not be aware of objectivism as a philosophy?

interestingly, I was listening to my roommate have a conversation with one of his friends, in which he concluded that:

1: making money is a good thing

2: the world would be a better place if people looked out for themselves rather than other people.

3: handouts like welfare only make people lazy

all of this from a black guy who was raised ina devout Jehova's Witness. Needless to say, I was very pleased at the conclusions he made.

Your roommate is a good example as to how irrelevant ones upbringing can be to ones philosophical ideas, if one is willing think outside of the box their upbringing tries to place them in.(which of course alot of people do not do alot of).

For instance, I was raised mainly by my mother, and she is a socalist to the core. However, I consider myself a feirce advocate of capatalism, and in Objectivism in general as well.

As for the Penn and Teller show, I have only seen the end of the one where they were dealing with 'spoon-bending', etc. But I liked what I saw and I will certaintly make an effort to see more of this show. I especially liked the bit at the end, though this point has been raised alot of times in the past, it goes something like this "all these pyshics can apparently predict everyons lotto numbers, except for their own...."...strange that huh? :P

I have found that one does not have to be an Objectivist to have mostly [very] moral viewpoints and behaviour, at least in certain areas. I certaintly think Penn and Teller deserve some respect for their effort to publicly discredit mysticism and other forms of irrational beleifs.

I might do some research into them, in order to try and gauge where they stand on other key issues.

... it goes something like this "all these pyshics can apparently predict everyons lotto numbers, except for their own...."...strange that huh? :P

This reminds me of something I once read online somewhere:

How come aliens only abduct idiots?

This reminds me of something I once read online somewhere:

How come aliens only abduct idiots?

Lol..indeed, you never hear of credible people being abducted....I wonder why that is?

It could be because the credible people are smart enough to know that no intelligent person worth their weight in salt would beleive them...

Where did you read that do you recall?