Objectivism Online Forum

A New Dark Age? Where is our Churchill?

Rate this topic

Some sort of Dark Age is ahead, or perhaps already begun. Western countries are self-censoring in order to not “offend” Muslims, who, when offended, burn buses and building, riot and kill. Upon the publishing of a drawing of Mohhamed in a Danish Newspaper in like October of ‘04 or something, subsequent riots occurred in several Islamic countries. Over 100 people were killed in riots in Nigeria (or was is Somalia, or Ethiopia?) when Islamic mobs attacked a predominantly Christian area of the town, though the Christians were not responsible for the Danish Newspaper’s “disrespect” of Islam.

In Germany a play by Shakespeare was canceled because at the end several religious leaders including Christ and Mohammed appear on stage, a sacrilage to Islam. Apperently the Muslims have a right to not be offended. Well, their attitude offends me. What about my rights? :thumbsup:

The right to speak freely, free speech, is equivalant to the right to offend others. This right is being voluntarily surrendered to screaming, uneducated, violent religious mobs.

We have now been fighting the “War on Terror” for a longer time than it took to defeat Hitler, Mousoulini and Japan. And there is no end in sight. Indeed, it is getting worse. North Korea has tested a nuke and Iran has announced it will install new facilities to more than double its production of enriched Uranium, the fissile material used in nuclear bombs. The West has threatened both countries with sanctions (reduced trade).

This is like the 1930’s, when Europe watched Hitler rearm and prepare for a massive war. The war came.

This time it may include nuclear weapons. The situation looks hopeless. America is the “city on a hill” and it isn’t defending itself. What will happen when this light goes out?

We need another Churchill, and I don’t see any coming. The British have a saying, “Come the hour, come the man.” But what if this man does not arrive?

Or am I him? But I don't like politics.

Your comments echo my own internal concerns.

The problem is largely in the hands of public education, which is too busy with various distractions from the issues that really matter.

We don't have to mention how absurd the media is, but they aren't helping.

Our nation is too busy with its own internal struggles for political power. Lobbying has destroyed any neutrality and chance of an unbiased government to operate fairly and based on law, not on special interests.

We can't fight our enemies, because we share their same basic philosophical principles, which are faith, self-sacrifice, statism and so on.

The public is largely against reason and is caught up in supporting altruistic actions internationally.

When you live in a world gone mad, a world of idiots, it is quite a terrifying experience to be outnumbered and outvoted by sheeple.

I don't know of any solution either. I was pondering the idea of a group of us starting a new country somewhere on an island, but I know of no islands that are habitable but unocupied. And besides, if we did find an island, the US would probably try to invade it.

What we have is a monster: a government that is so fearful of any other government of similar power existing on the planet, that it will not tolerate its existence. This was seen on a small scale with small religious groups living in communes in Texas. Any group that banded together and possessed considerable numbers of firearms was considered a threat to the US and summarily exterminated with fire.

I hate to say this, but perhaps our only hope is this:

That there is no afterlife

and

That we die before this dark age is fully upon us

and finally,

that the pendulum will once again swing toward a rennaisance after it rebounds from the dark ages.

Sadly, man historically has demonstrated the inability to learn from history.