Objectivism Online Forum

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Rate this topic

The Wrath

http://cube.ign.com/objects/572/572738.html

This game looks amazing. I love how they've ditched the cartoony feel and decided to go with a more realistic, mature-looking atmosphere. I haven't actually played Windwaker...I'll need to do that before I buy this game. I think that this game, along with other series' of which I am a devoted fan, is going to be enough to make me buy a Wii. I'll wait until sometime after Christmas, but it's definitely on my to-do list. Of course, I could just get it for Gamecube, but I want to wait and see if the graphics are the same...if they aren't, I'll wait until I get a Wii. Is anyone else planning on buying this game?

I've already got it reserved and I think about it every day. I honestly don't know if the realistic look is going to be that great though. Not that the Gamecube can't dish out some nice eye-candy, but it will probably be a step back from the graphical perfection of Wind Waker. With cel-shaded graphics you never get any pixel-fuzz, overlapping polygons and the like. Not to mention that with the cartoony look you were never surprised to just find a few symmetrical bushes lined up in a row and the like because it fitted the cartoon motif. It fit with Zelda and the atmosphere of the game was unparalled.

But I am looking forward to a much larger world in Twilight Princess. The world map in Wind Waker was utterly gigantic and now that I know the gamecube can support a world that big I can't wait to see it all filled with land, with at least 3 towns this time. :worry:

I'm thinking Twilight Princess will be pretty good. 'Course, it's a Zelda game, so that almost goes without saying.

If I was getting a Wii at launch, I'd probably be paying it more attention. As it is, I likely won't play it until next year.

Moose: You said "Of course, I could just get [Zelda: Twilight Princess] for Gamecube, but I want to wait and see if the graphics are the same". I'm under the impression that Twilight Princess is a Wii only game. I believe both "Wind Waker" and Twilight Princess are beautiful (from what I have seen, and played with "Wind Waker") however, I think there is much more to video games then just the graphics.

I think there is much more to video games then just the graphics.

I wish the devs and game companies would think that as well. The sad thing is that before the era of accessible internet multiplayer and the hardware for insane graphics, games with great single-player stories, characters and plots were relatively easy to find. Today it is much harder, even on the computer. The last real game I played like that was KOTOR.

There are still games from way, way back I love to play to experience again what pulled me into the story and the game in a way many modern games do not.

Moose: You said "Of course, I could just get [Zelda: Twilight Princess] for Gamecube, but I want to wait and see if the graphics are the same". I'm under the impression that Twilight Princess is a Wii only game. I believe both "Wind Waker" and Twilight Princess are beautiful (from what I have seen, and played with "Wind Waker") however, I think there is much more to video games then just the graphics.

No, it's being released on both. The Wii version is released on the same day as the Wii launch (Nov. 19th), but the Gamecube version comes out about a month later. The only difference that I know of is that, in the GC version, Link is left-handed (as is traditional). He's right-handed in the Wii version, because most players will be right-handed...with the new Wii controllers, that actually matters. In the Wii version, all the dungeons are reversed...so, everything on the left in the GC version will be moved to the right, etc.

I agree that graphics are not the most important, but I'm planning on getting a Wii anyway (eventually). So, as long as I have the choice, I might as well wait for the one with better graphics, if it turns out that there really is a noticeable difference.

I wish the devs and game companies would think that as well. The sad thing is that before the era of accessible internet multiplayer and the hardware for insane graphics, games with great single-player stories, characters and plots were relatively easy to find. Today it is much harder, even on the computer. The last real game I played like that was KOTOR.

There are still games from way, way back I love to play to experience again what pulled me into the story and the game in a way many modern games do not.

I wish they'd quit being so focused on graphics simply because that means they'd quit making new systems. I'm perfectly satisfied with my PS2 and Gamecube and just wish they'd quit making systems every 5 years that cause my current ones to be obsolete. I don't like the idea of shelling out hundreds of dollars for new systems, when I could just continue to buy games for $40 a piece. I will not be getting a PS3 for this very reason, unless (several years down the road) I can get a cheap one off eBay or something. Although, I don't see the PS3 being less than $200 within the next 10 years.

I want the Wii for 2 main reasons: I think it will be revolutionary in terms of gameplay and it will have the Zelda and Metroid games. A while back, I bought a Gamecube for $100 and, so far, the only games I have are the 2 Metroids. They were enough to make me buy the system. Hopefully the Metal Gear and Resident Evil games will eventually come out for Wii, although I don't think there are plans for it at the moment. As much as I like those series, they will not be enough to make me shell out $600 on the PS3. Although, I will be buying a PS3 on launch day...and then it's going straight on eBay. :ninja: