Objectivism Online Forum

Online Piano Lessons

Rate this topic

ChristopherSchlegel

The owner of the guitar lesson site at which I teach http://www.guitartricks.com liked my idea of creating a similar site for novices interested in learning piano. So, earlier this year I put together a set of beginning lessons to have some content. I have gradually been adding content & it now has over 80 little video lessons!

http://www.pianotricks.com

It's very bare-bones simple and basic (no frills!) as we are still putting it together. For the time being, it will be absolutely FREE! We are just trying to generate some traffic & get some feedback while we add content & functionality. Eventually, I hope to build it into something that will be similar to the guitar site.

If you ever wanted to learn how to play piano, learn a little music theory, or if you are simply curious, here's your chance! Please feel free to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

One year later update!

The site continues to grow. I've been consistently publishing new lessons to keep new content happening. We are close to 100 lessons total. And the big new news: The admin just added a forum!

You probably have to register to post in the forum, but viewing the lessons is still free for now. Please feel free to drop by and have a look.

One year later update!

The site continues to grow. I've been consistently publishing new lessons to keep new content happening. We are close to 100 lessons total. And the big new news: The admin just added a forum!

You probably have to register to post in the forum, but viewing the lessons is still free for now. Please feel free to drop by and have a look.

This looks pretty nice, and might be something that I will look into when I have a paino/keyboard and more time to learn how to play.

As for whether this is a proper thread, the Forum Rules contain this:

No advertisements or spam of any kind will be tolerated, including any posts made solely to advertise your website, or solely to direct users to a particular outside source. No advertisements. No spamming. No posts just to advertise links. (Exception: you may advertise websites selling products related to Objectivism on the Marketplace forum - at the moderator's discretion.)

If you wish to discuss a particular outside source, do not start a thread with just a link to the source -- please also discuss why forum members would be interested in viewing your link.

So, it would seem to me, this thread might come dangerously close to breaching this...

As for whether this is a proper thread, the Forum Rules contain this ...

So, it would seem to me, this thread might come dangerously close to breaching this...

I apologize if this is inappropriate. Obviously the mods or admin can completely move/delete the whole thread if they deem it so. I thought it was a fun thing to share because so far the site is completely free of charge. So it's not as if I am advertising for a product. The site might potentially in the future get to that stage. But it is not there now.

And for now I was only sharing a bit of what I do (that is free!) with fellow Objectivists. I have posted quite a bit on Music Theory & such. As a consequence I have had forum members mail me about various musical related issues. This site is one way in which I hoped to address some of those questions while sharing some of the results of my productivity.

Again, to mods or admin, please delete this whole thing if inapproariate. I had/have no intention of spamming the site or it's members.

I apologize if this is inappropriate. Obviously the mods or admin can completely move/delete the whole thread if they deem it so. I thought it was a fun thing to share because so far the site is completely free of charge. So it's not as if I am advertising for a product. The site might potentially in the future get to that stage. But it is not there now.

And for now I was only sharing a bit of what I do (that is free!) with fellow Objectivists. I have posted quite a bit on Music Theory & such. As a consequence I have had forum members mail me about various musical related issues. This site is one way in which I hoped to address some of those questions while sharing some of the results of my productivity.

Again, to mods or admin, please delete this whole thing if inapproariate. I had/have no intention of spamming the site or it's members.

I did not mean to sound like a policeman there, I just thought you might want to be made aware of the situation. It would seem so far that th mods might see enough merit in the thread to keep it around.

The owner of the guitar lesson site at which I teach http://www.guitartricks.com liked my idea of creating a similar site for novices interested in learning piano. ... ... http://www.pianotricks.com
I just checked it out. It's great..I intend to check it out more extensively. I've never played any instrument, but viewing a few of the piano beginner lessons, has made me curious to check out more as a means of understanding some of what is happening when people play, even if not to play myself.

I hope the project goes well.

I'm curious about something else though: when learning music, isn't it important to have an instructor who can see what one is doing and correct one's mistakes?

I did not mean to sound like a policeman there, I just thought you might want to be made aware of the situation. It would seem so far that th mods might see enough merit in the thread to keep it around.

Fair enough. In that case, thanks for the "heads up".

Some participants in the forum add value, some do not. Mr. Schlegel is in the former group, and I am personally not at all inclined to say anything more that "best of luck with your project".

Thanks for your sentiments. :thumbsup:

I've never played any instrument, but viewing a few of the piano beginner lessons, has made me curious to check out more as a means of understanding some of what is happening when people play, even if not to play myself.

This is one way people have used it. I hope you learn something of interest.

I hope the project goes well.

Me, too. Thanks.

I'm curious about something else though: when learning music, isn't it important to have an instructor who can see what one is doing and correct one's mistakes?

Of course. Sites like this should be a suppliment to an "in-person" instructor for anyone truly serious about learning the piano. But with enough discipline this site can be a great value. And for those without the benefit of a local instructor it can be an invaluable resource. In many ways the site is a big experiment.

For me personally, a great deal of the value is in the fact that many people ask me for lessons but I don't have the desire to teach privately anymore. Or the time even if I wanted to. So this project takes care of several objectives in one fell swoop. :D Thanks for your interest.

I think it's great the way the net broadens one's opportunities far beyond one's local area.

Perhaps one day people who learn from the site will be sending in 10-minute videos of themselves playing, and receiving feedback that helps them improve, either from paid instructors or from some type of "online community" who're also at various stages of learning.

Ok, I do suppose having an instructor in person is pretty much essential to becoming really good at the paino in anything resembling a decent time period. Along those lines, might I suggest you add to the forums on that paino site some way of getting in touch with instructors in ones local area?