Objectivism Online Forum

Computing moves forward (multi touch screen demo video)

Rate this topic

mrocktor

Ooops, I guess you can tell I didn't like that movie much.

Yeah, not the best... Also, I didn't see why that connected to the video until a little after I posted, I forgot about the really cool computers in Minority

Damn, and I thought my new Mac was cool...

In your estimations, how long do you think it will take for something like this to hit the market?

A better question is, how long will it take before something hits the market to make this obsolete :lol:

That is indeed a better question, but I'll worry about this thing for the moment...

I was thinking about it, and in a lot of ways, it looks even more advanced than the computer in Minority Report. It does the same basic things, except that the one in Minority Report, as far as we could tell, was not heat sensitive. It's amazing how technology progresses so rapidly -- when the movie came out, I remember thinking something like that will be decades away.

This is a called a multi-touch touch screen, and you can buy one right now. The difficult problem is to make useful software for it, not the hardware. (It's not heat-sensitive, by the way.)

I was thinking about it, and in a lot of ways, it looks even more advanced than the computer in Minority Report. It does the same basic things, except that the one in Minority Report, as far as we could tell, was not heat sensitive. It's amazing how technology progresses so rapidly -- when the movie came out, I remember thinking something like that will be decades away.

It's not an accident that technology from Minority Report is at the forefront of computing research. The movie's producers asked various technologists make predictions about future technology, and they naturally talked about the things they had seen/were doing.

The difficult problem is to make useful software for it, not the hardware.
Why isn't Microsoft investing in this technology? Why is software development for it stagnant? Where is the Dell personal computer that is nothing but a touch screen?

This is so clearly where computers are headed, I am with the demonstrator in that I don't understand why I still have to use an operating system like Windows (primitive!). Imagine how much better the internet would be with this technology! No more of this single-pointer mouse and keyboard-shortcut nonsense.

When it comes to entering and manipulating text-based data, using a mouse/keyboard combo seems more efficient than using a touch screen. How fast could you type an essay on a touch screen? I think my hands would get tired very quickly if I had to hold my hand up to the monitor all the time.

The tablet PC features a touch screen, and sells for a few hundred more (if that) than a plain laptop. Why do you think it hasn't been a hit?

Why do you think it hasn't been a hit?
I think it is unpopular because it isn't easier to use than a mouse-PC yet. Not to mention that the hardware is still cumbersome (heavy, twisting the screen around).

As far as typing an essay, in the video it was mentioned that a keyboard could be made to follow your hands on the screen. That sounds great to me. Until something new and extraordinary is discovered with technology, the next kind of personal computer I am looking for is a flat, rectangular piece of durable plastic, entirely touch-screen, about the thickness of cardboard; something I can throw in a bookbag. This is from a personal computer standpoint.

In the office, for graphic designers, watching full-length movies, etc., some modifications might be necessary. A stand for movies or to step away and get a better look at a jpeg, or perhaps a separate monitor would be appropriate for these type of users. There is also technology out there where a keyboard is projected onto your desk, which might be useful in an office. For me, typically an internet-only user, my previous description would be perfect. I could set it on a table or my lap and poke away. This would also be great for PC books. Why do we still use paper, anyway?

Maybe floating-air displays will advance faster, in which case I will take that. Or how about a computer chip in my mind? I'm thinking something like Google Memory!

Edited by JASKN