Objectivism Online Forum

Hiring a prostitute does not imply low self esteem.

Rate this topic

Ciscokid

I didnt reply to his question of 'why this topic is important' because I dont believe it was sincere or relevant. If it wasnt an important topic, Id imagine a discussion wouldnt of taken place, or that he'd return.

But thanks for hashing over it. aleph_0's posts were really helpful. Thanks!

I understand. I posted it for better understanding and for it to be talked over with objective people. I suppose i could of been more clear on that!

The implication is that poor self-esteem is not derived from a prostitute so long as he can get sex otherwise? This seems opposite of your first suggested implication, that merely having sex with a non-prostitute produces high self-esteem. The former would mean that one can get sex from a prostitute even though having the opportunity to get sex by some other means, and one could still have high self-esteem. The later describes a method of producing high self-esteem. So I'm not sure which you mean to argue is an implication. And both of these are distinct from the claim that, if you have no alternative but to hire a prostitute, then you have poor self-esteem.

And who are you suggesting is doing the implication? Cisco or the person for whom Cisco is acting as a proxy? I'm terribly unclear about what is being said here.

In any case, here is what the pseudo-argument claims: One is able to hire a prostitute and still have high self-esteem. The argument is faulty.

Here is what the initial provisional assumption (supposedly refuted by the pseudo-argument) claims: If anybody ever has the chance to have sex with a non-prostitute but still opts to have sex with a prostitute, then that person has low self-esteem. An implication of this claim is that, if one has high self-esteem then one has not slept with a prostitute when he could have slept with somebody else. Another implication is that, if one has not slept with a prostitute while he has the chance to sleep with a non-prostitute, then it is logically possible for him to have high self-esteem. But I see no way that this implies that, if one sleeps with a non-prostitute, then one has high self-esteem. Nor does it imply that, if one has high self-esteem, then one has slept with a non-prostitute.

For example, take the case that "If anything is a mammal then it is an animal." An implication of this is that, if something is not an animal then it is not a mammal. But it is not an implication of this that, if something is an animal then it is a mammal. Also, not being a mammal does not imply not being an animal. The logical "direction" is one-way. The same goes for the initial provisional assumption. Whenever the antecedent conditions (having the chance to sleep with a non-prostitute but still sleeping with a prostitute) are met, then the consequent follows (low self-esteem). However, having the consequent (low self-esteem) does not imply the antecedent (having the chance to sleep with a non-prostitute but still sleeping with a prostitute). And likewise, not having the antecedent does not imply not having the consequent.

The implication is that poor self-esteem is not derived from a prostitute so long as he can get sex otherwise? This seems opposite of your first suggested implication, that merely having sex with a non-prostitute produces high self-esteem. The former would mean that one can get sex from a prostitute even though having the opportunity to get sex by some other means, and one could still have high self-esteem. The later describes a method of producing high self-esteem. So I'm not sure which you mean to argue is an implication. And both of these are distinct from the claim that, if you have no alternative but to hire a prostitute, then you have poor self-esteem.

And who are you suggesting is doing the implication? Cisco or the person for whom Cisco is acting as a proxy? I'm terribly unclear about what is being said here.

In any case, here is what the pseudo-argument claims: One is able to hire a prostitute and still have high self-esteem. The argument is faulty.

Here is what the initial provisional assumption (supposedly refuted by the pseudo-argument) claims: If anybody ever has the chance to have sex with a non-prostitute but still opts to have sex with a prostitute, then that person has low self-esteem. An implication of this claim is that, if one has high self-esteem then one has not slept with a prostitute when he could have slept with somebody else. Another implication is that, if one has not slept with a prostitute while he has the chance to sleep with a non-prostitute, then it is logically possible for him to have high self-esteem. But I see no way that this implies that, if one sleeps with a non-prostitute, then one has high self-esteem. Nor does it imply that, if one has high self-esteem, then one has slept with a non-prostitute.

For example, take the case that "If anything is a mammal then it is an animal." An implication of this is that, if something is not an animal then it is not a mammal. But it is not an implication of this that, if something is an animal then it is a mammal. Also, not being a mammal does not imply not being an animal. The logical "direction" is one-way. The same goes for the initial provisional assumption. Whenever the antecedent conditions (having the chance to sleep with a non-prostitute but still sleeping with a prostitute) are met, then the consequent follows (low self-esteem). However, having the consequent (low self-esteem) does not imply the antecedent (having the chance to sleep with a non-prostitute but still sleeping with a prostitute). And likewise, not having the antecedent does not imply not having the consequent.

I highly disagree with the view point of the persons post I forwarded here. It is not my opinion at all. And i dont think Ive expressed my viewpoint here yet.