Objectivism Online Forum

Krystal

Rate this topic

Dismuke

This is really great.... Krystal, one of my favorite hamburger chains is finally coming to Fort Worth. My favorite actually is White Castle - but those are only found up north. Krystal is a Southern version of White Castle and if you order a Krystal burger without the mustard you have an ersatz White Castle burger. Both are tiny burgers with thin squares of meat that are steamed over a bed of onions on a grill. They are WONDERFUL - though, for whatever reason, Krystal decides to destroy the taste by putting on lots of iky mustard which one can happily order the burger without. They have had one open in Carrollton for quite a while but that is WAY out of my way. I am actually in Waco where there is another one far more often than I am in Carrollton. A few months ago they opened one in Grand Prairie which I have been to a couple of times - but that too is kind of out of my way. The initial location in Fort Worth will be much more convenient for me.

Anyhow, Krystal and White Castle are one of those things that people either tend to love or they tend to hate. Whenever I happen to be in a part of the country where one of them has locations, I make a point to get my fill of them. Soon, I won't even have to leave Fort Worth - and most locations tend to be open 24 hours which is even better. Our Metroplex has just become a tad bit more civilized and more of a desirable place to live! If you haven't ever tried one, be sure to do so - just ask for it without the mustard.

By ANDREA JARES

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Krystal, the chain whose tiny square hamburgers have a cult following, plans to open four locations in Fort Worth.

The first is planned to open before April near the Wal-Mart SuperCenter at Airport Freeway and North Beach Street, said Stephen Alexander of Hurst, who is planning at least three more.

Krystal, which operated briefly in North Texas several decades ago, opened its first new Metroplex eatery in Carrollton in 2004. Since then, more have opened in Grand Prairie and Denton.

"Krystals are doing very well in the Texas markets," Alexander said. "There's not one on this side of town. I think the demographics are perfect. Krystals have a great following."

Texas is particularly rich in aficionados of the 75-year-old hamburger chain.

"They're certainly some of our biggest openings in our history," said Kevin Caldwell, director of franchise and marketing for the Tennessee company.

Krystal burgers are typically eaten a few at a time because they're only 2.5 inches across. Their taste is unusual because the bun, meat and onion are all cooked together, Caldwell said.

The restaurants have developed a cult status over the years, and openings have attracted long lines of people who have camped out to be among the first customers, Caldwell said.

Alexander said, "I'm just very impressed with Krystal's track record."

Andrea Jares, 817-548-5522 [email protected]