Objectivism Online Forum

An introduction

Rate this topic

Hello, everyone.

You might have seen me posting around these boards by now...so I figured an introduction was in order.

Name: Evan

School : University of Idaho

Majors: Poly Sci, International Studies, Spanish

Level = Sophomore and a half (after 2 semesters in college plus one semester of credit thanks to high school AP classes)

Hobbies: going to rock concerts, hackey sack, writing (on occasion),

a few personal goals:

-To become proficient at Brazillian Ju-Jitsu and another martial art (One that is not ground based but rather a "stand up" style).

-To become a good dancer (I'm taking a ballroom dancing class next semester).

-To make a whole lot of money by getting in to the music industry as an attorney/manager

That is it for now.

-Please leave comments, questions, or whatever in this tread so I can have fun responding ;)

pics:

pimpin.jpg

Me.jpg

Definitely.

I like some ambient stuff like Chicane (brittish dance group)

I like video game soundtracks (beacause I'm a dork) and I own the soundtracks to FFVII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Parasite Eve.

I also like some more mellowed out stuff that isn't agressive rock.

I like Pink Floyd, U2's "Joshua Tree" album, some Elton Jon (here and there) and other various stuff.

I have songs that I really like in a lot of genres.

I would like to get more in to clasical music, but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

My girlfriend is a classical violinist and she has given me a couple of recommendations (I listened to Rachmaninoff's 2nd with her and it was really really wonderful/romantic).

I have no idea where people buy good classical CDs...so if you know any good online shops, please drop a link.

;)

Welcome!

I know a few people that are of the opinion that once you learn Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, you won't need another art. Of course, tactical diversity can't hurt.

From my personal experience, virtually every conflict I have been involved in as a police officer has ended up on the ground. But then my goal is not to "vanquish the foe", merely to stop the threat and apprehend. No implication on my part as to what your goal may be.

An officer I know is quite proficient at Gracie Ju-Jitsu. He thinks it is complimented well with Wing Chun. Both are very practical arts.

VES

I'm unfamiliar with Brazillian Ju-Jitsu except for some reading I have done. I'm going to be taking a sort of class that is offered by the University of Idaho's Brazillain Ju-Jitsu team next semester.

I would assume that a large part of Brazillian J-J training involved getting your stand up opponent on to the ground. Would I be correct in saying that?

My motives in the area of martial arts are:

1) To be able to defend myself...not only against common unskilled cheeseball thugs, but people who actually know what they are doing when the attack and aren't necessarily "benevolent" in nature.

2) Physical endurance training, balance training, and a simple hand/eye coordination improvement are all desired on my part.

3) I think it sparring and practice would be a whole lot of fun:)

I looked in to Wing Chung and it looks very interesting. The history of it is really neat.

It looks like it is super functional....which would make it a great stand up art.

:D

Thanks for the info.

Oh yeah...

I also liked your photos in the photography thread.

You seem to display a lot of love for your son...just in the way that you glorify him through your photography.

I was quite impressed and I thought all of your pictures were quite powerful...if you don't mind me saying so.

-Evan

Yes, a lot of JJ involves taking the opponent to ground. It is largely grappling, joint manipulation, etc. I do believe there are some striking moves, hardly any kicking as I understand it.

From the few folks I know who studied Wing Chun, there is a fast return from the amount of studying you do and what you get out of it.

Thanks for you comments regarding my son and my photography. Yes, I have a great deal of love for him. When I have more time, I will post another picture I took of him that I have always liked. It's very "minimalist", but when I think about it now, I think it speaks volumes about man, his efforts and striving to improve.

VES

Hi Try, I'm very new to this forum as well. I have studied Brazillian JuJutsu or JuJitsu for a while and I believe it's hands down, one of the most complete martial styles you could choose. It's also one of the most difficult styles to learn but once you get over the initial "shock", it's great. I say this because I hold a black belt in a Japanese traditional style and a white belt in Brazillian JuJitsu made a meal out of me once he took me down to the floor. I think RationalCop is right when he says that a style like Wing Chun would be good to cross train with BJJ, only because BJJ looses somewhat of it's effectiveness with multiple opponents for obvious reasons.

From what I see...a combination of BJJ for ground fighting, Wing Chung for multiple standing opponents, and Hock's modern police techniques would definitely make a well balanced fighter.

That would take SOOO much time.

I think I will start out with BJJ for now:)

If you're training for reality combat, Hock's system will give you a complete arsenal. If you're training for sport competition, Lewis's system will give you a complete arsenal. No need for BJJ & WC really, as any useful techniques from these systems are covered by the above systems.

I see this thread turned to a martian arts thread, so...

Did anyone here hear of Krav Maga, the world-renowned Israeli martial art? I know nothing about Brazillian Ju-Jitsu, but I have been studying Krav Maga for years now: it's the official martial art taught in the Israeli army, and I hear in many armies and police departments around the world...

It's a completely scientific martial art, so I think Objectivists may find it interesting.

I've been studying Krav Maga for about a year. It's fun, exhausting, practical, and (unlike other martial arts) quite rational. EVERYTHING is explained. EVERY move has a reason for being. No messing around with pretty movements. No Zen / Buddhist / eastern mysticism. No mindless training-by-rote (i.e., katas).

Think of it as reality-based training for street fighting. Bruce Lee's style was an amalgam of parts from various martial arts, pulled together by the standard of what was actually useful; K.M. is along the same lines.

Check the national training center in L.A., or the Orange County center where I train.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, from what I hear Krav Maga is a very practical, rational martial art. That and Brazilian JuJutsu are amoung the most combat effective martial arts though, at least from what I've heard, Krav Maga tends to be very brutal as oposed to Brazilian JuJutsu, which is extremely efective offensivly but focuses on forcing your oponents into submission more than it does on seriosuly (or permenantly) injuring them.

I myself study Capoeira (I have been doing so for around four years now), another Brazillian martial art which is infinitly less effective but (in my opinion) much more pleasing to the eye. I also studied Kendo for awhile but I soon descovered it was far to ingrained in eastern mysticsim for my tastes.