Objectivism Online Forum

Chairman Mehlman Speaks

Rate this topic

By Myrhaf from Myrhaf,cross-posted by MetaBlog

RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman said this in a speech:

Any government that is as big as ours, as powerful as ours, that controls so much of our lives, will always be susceptible to corruption.

Because power does corrupt.

But we can reduce the temptation by taking power out of Washington and putting it back into the hands of the American people.

It has to be us.

It has to be our Party.

Because the Democrat Party sure won't do it.

They're the party of government.

They believe it has the answer to every question, the solution to every problem.

We Republicans don't believe that . . . but sometimes, over the last few years, we've behaved as if we do.

Sometimes over the last few years? As Neal Boortz writes:

In the 12 years since Republicans took over the House of Representatives, the size of the federal government has doubled. That's right...it's now twice the size of what it was in January of 1995. And it's not hard to see why. Look at all of the new agencies that have been created and/or expanded. The Department of Homeland Security? That was a Republican idea. No Child Left Behind? So much for getting rid of the Education Department...the Republicans expanded it.

Prescription drug coverage for Medicare...that's another one. The list goes on and on. Then there were the endless pork projects the GOP was pushing...the bridge to nowhere among them. There is no question that the Republican Party became the party of big government. The only difference between them and the Democrats is they like to borrow money instead of raise it through taxation.

You know what Alcoholics Anonymous teaches. You must admit you have a problem before you begin to treat it. Repeat after me, Ken, “I am a Republican. I am a big spender. Like the Democrat Party, my party is a party of big government.”

And what about this line from Chairman Mehlman's speech?

I'm talking about expanding the role of faith in the public square for people who need not just a hot meal, but sustenance for the soul.

What th…? Government should be providing people sustenance for the soul? Is that what the Republican Party stands for now?

Sustenance for the soul comes from ideas, values and art. I don’t want the government deciding what ideas, values and art my soul should be fed. That’s what totalitarian states do. That’s what the Inquisition did.

Smug fools like Ken Mehlman will march this country to hell, preening every step of the way about how they’re not as bad as the Democrats.

View the full article