Objectivism Online Forum

Pursuit of Happyness

Rate this topic

The Wrath

Has anyone else seen this previewed?

For those who haven't, it's the true story of a black man named Chris Gardner who was homeless for a while, but ended up being a self-made millionaire. I've heard Neal Boortz talk about him before and, by what little I know, I admire him.

One particular episode that Boortz discussed is actually in the preview, that I think is particularly telling of this man's character. He sees a man driving an outrageously expensive car and decides that he wants to do what that man does for a living. So he asks the man what he does, the man says he's a stock broker, and so Gardner goes on to be a stock broker and makes millions doing so.

So, here you have a homeless black man working an unpaid internship while taking care of his son, alone. And he winds up a millionaire, through the fruit of his own determination. He doesn't blame his poverty on unchosen circumstances or racism. He makes his own circumstances.

I am looking forward to this movie and think that Will Smith will do a fantastic job.

How is it a sacrifice? It's only a sacrifice if he doesn't love his son, which I imagine that he clearly does.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I misread. Keep in mind that Objectivism tends to use an esoteric definition of "sacrifice." To most of the world, it is a sacrifice to do something for another person, even if you love them.

Edited by Moose

Was it really a very practical decision the main character made though? He was homeless and had a son to support, and yet he just now decides he wants to become a stock broker. It takes a long time to learn how to make money consistently in the stock market, especially if you have no experience with it. If he didnt have another job along with his internship, I dont think it was a smart move.

Uh...I imagine there are quite a few details that we don't know. I doubt he was working the internship just for kicks...probably hoping to, you know, use it as a launchpad to a better career or something. Regardless of how he decided to become a stock broker, it was apparently a good choice, because he made millions doing it.

I think it would have been more practical to get a "decent" job for the time being, until he saves up enough money to support him and his son for awhile, and then at that point he could decide if wants to pursue the stock broker job. I think it was too big of a risk at the moment(when he was homeless).

I think it would have been more practical to get a "decent" job for the time being, until he saves up enough money to support him and his son for awhile, and then at that point he could decide if wants to pursue the stock broker job. I think it was too big of a risk at the moment(when he was homeless).

Too big a risk? He was homeless!!! There was nothing to risk!!!

Too big a risk? He was homeless!!! There was nothing to risk!!!

I said he should get a decent paying job for time being so he and his son can afford a home and food, instead of just starting to pursue a job as a stock broker, which is a hard profession to make money at especially for someone who has no experience. But I dont want to comment any further because I dont know the whole story of his life yet.

I said he should get a decent paying job for time being so he and his son can afford a home and food, instead of just starting to pursue a job as a stock broker, which is a hard profession to make money at especially for someone who has no experience. But I dont want to comment any further because I dont know the whole story of his life yet.

Fair enough. I will be seeing it the day it opens.

Has anyone else seen this previewed?

For those who haven't, it's the true story of a black man named Chris Gardner who was homeless for a while, but ended up being a self-made millionaire. I've heard Neal Boortz talk about him before and, by what little I know, I admire him.

One particular episode that Boortz discussed is actually in the preview, that I think is particularly telling of this man's character. He sees a man driving an outrageously expensive car and decides that he wants to do what that man does for a living. So he asks the man what he does, the man says he's a stock broker, and so Gardner goes on to be a stock broker and makes millions doing so.

So, here you have a homeless black man working an unpaid internship while taking care of his son, alone. And he winds up a millionaire, through the fruit of his own determination. He doesn't blame his poverty on unchosen circumstances or racism. He makes his own circumstances.

I am looking forward to this movie and think that Will Smith will do a fantastic job.

I think I'd like to talk to that guy and found out how he did it. I'm close to studying for my series 6 & 63 securities licenses, but I understand one needs others to trade stocks. I have understood for decades that real money is made on the stock market, not working at McD's or in a factory all one's life. I have a strong need to make a lot of money, if only to be able to live my life once again without breaking laws to get by. So I'm thinking along the lines of stock trading, but need to know more about how it's done. This man could be an inspiration to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Was it really a very practical decision the main character made though? He was homeless and had a son to support, and yet he just now decides he wants to become a stock broker. It takes a long time to learn how to make money consistently in the stock market, especially if you have no experience with it. If he didnt have another job along with his internship, I dont think it was a smart move.

Everybody probably knows this by now, but Pursuit of Happyness is probably this year's single greatest movie--maybe the decade's greatest movie. It is an unashamed story of the desire to be great. Will Smith shows, more than any other actor I can recall, a man who celebrates the joy of being alive.

As for his strategic economic decisions, you should really see the movie to know his circumstances. Trying to become a stock broker actually seemed like his best opportunity at the time.

** Vague Spoilers **

As for his strategic economic decisions, you should really see the movie to know his circumstances. Trying to become a stock broker actually seemed like his best opportunity at the time.

I agree. Not only that, but he did have a "financial plan" (however fragile) while he was pursuing the broker job. He did forgot some things (taxes and parking tickets) that damaged his plan. But throughout the whole movie I thought he had a real sense that his very life and that of his son's rested on EVERY decision he made.

I saw this film (among others) the other day. Without any spoilers (which I will save for my Oscar Roundup 2006, to be posted after the nominations), I also recommend the picture. It is quite good and Will Smith gives a solid, refreshing performance. It is not 'perfect.' If you see it, you will see a few moments that don't quite fit. They seem to have been thrown in to moderate the main theme, however they do not significantly damage it. There is also, IMNSHO, a missing element, the presence of which would have thoroughly cured any other defects. I don't want to go into detail here. Look for a more in-depth review after 23 January 2007.

-Q

• 3 weeks later...

Gardner shows his goodwill and determination by helping the needed people of South Africa. According to his Biography. I quote:

"Which is why, on this October day, Gardner keeps working those phones. It's why he's already begun writing his next book. It's why he's in talks with several networks about doing a primetime show, and why, earlier this year, he sold a minority stake in Gardner Rich to a major hedge fund. But most of all, it's why he's about to close a second round of financing -- reportedly to launch a private-equity fund focused solely on investments in South Africa."