Objectivism Online Forum

Amusing Idea

Rate this topic

RadCap

Betsy and CF - glad you liked my little homage to 60's TV batman and thanks for the encouragement. :)

CT - for reasons which you are aware, you may get a couple extra details than most. hehe.

janie - Im glad this has inspired you as much as it has inspired me. Oh - and it sounds like we were listening to the same thing right around the same time. So where do you live and work? How long is that commute that you can listen to these tapes on the way to and fro?

--

Oh - and another little tidbit. (This one is real, where the one for misericordium was probably more of a joke.) For the fallacy "argumentum ad temperantiam": a new 'superhero' comes to AisA City. He is the "Golden Mean" - a 'hero' of gold who promotes Aristotles seemingly rational ethical virtues (as well as other ideas, outside ethics, which seem to be just as reasonable/sensible). Because of the citizen's appreciation for Aristotle and because the "Golden Mean" seems to be doing the work of Rational Man - solving disputes throughout the city based on this golden principle - he becomes toast of the town as well as a media darling (perhaps to the point of overshadowing Rational Man). However, his principle of moderation has a dark flaw which eventually endagers all of AisA city. (This one is almost plotted out now too. These stories are almost writing themselves. Its great. :) )

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant! RadCap, yours will be the best piece of educational fiction ever written.

That is if he finishes his before I finish mine. :) Alright, I'm just joking.

I'm writing a story myself. I'm not making a serial, just a story with two parts, one with lots of action and the other binding them both philosophically. Can't tell much, though, because the conception is such that even if I give a way one thing you'd have the general idea of it already. Let's just say that it's a story about a young boy who wanted to climb a very high mountain and on the way there he had to overcome many obstacles and as he went farther, he learned new things and... I almost went too far. The second part begins when he reaches the top.

I'd still like to read RadCap's work, however. It is always nice to read something new, a fresh idea, especially one presenting the only philosophy I like.

Man I am really coming up with some brainstorms here. I was thinking more about concensus and an idea hit me which basically wrote out another entire story plot (dont even remember now how many that makes so far - hehe). I'm really glad I held off drawing more of the characters and started working on the story ideas instead because this one caused me to rethink the look of concensus and what she does. In fact, her name may not even remain concensus any longer. But I KNOW you all are going to get a kick out of what I have decided to do with her (it is SOOOO much better), her ultimate fate, and the effect she will have upon the population of AisA City.

Im sorry I cant be more specific than that. In fact I am almost ready to explode for holding this stuff in now. I am having so much fun I really want to share this stuff with you guys now. But I think you will thank me when you get the full surprise and impact of the final products instead.

:D:D:nerd::D:D

As to everyone's comments, I can only say again that I am glad you all are having as much fun with this concept as I am. And keep the ideas coming in. They are very entertaining as well.

--

source - its always good to see people pumping their creative juices. I wish you much luck with your project and will be interested in seeing the finished product.

RadCap,

Thanks. I wouldn't actually be writing the story if I hadn't always wanted to write something purely fantastical and fictional but which is also a clear reproduction of reality. My story is something like a fairy tales only fairies are replaced with places and impersonations of certain things (can't tell which, sorry, although I'd like to just as you'd like to share your stories).

What's more, the entire idea just popped up in my head one day when I was writing another story, which I plan to publish as well, and it's a science-fiction novel. I can tell a little more about the novel because some of the ideas I've included have already been used in literature and movies. For example, I'll have shapeshifters in the novel which have already been used in X Files, Star Trek and other sci-fi stories.

I'm only just beginning both of those works, and although I started writing the novel earlier than that other story, I think that the story will be completed sooner because it's shorter. The novel is more intense and I'm actually having a difficult time at the beginning of it because I'm writing about a stalemate between two strong forces, where actually the evil side is winning, only it doesn't show. And I'm also matching the style of writing with how much my lead characters (on the good side) know about the situation on hand. It's really hard because none of them know anything important yet and what they're about to find out will be lies upon lies.

Anyway, I'm rambling about something and you might not understand any of it because you don't know the story.

Sorry about that.

I just wanna say everything. But I guess the best way to do it is to tell you through the completed novel.

Well, I'll be off writing now.

I'm really glad I held off drawing more of the characters and started working on the story ideas instead ...

A few days ago I attended a presentation at Caltech by a senior scientist from Pixar, a company that has enjoyed more than a modicum of success. The presentation was meant for mathematicians, the use of mathematics in digital animation. Pixar excels in the art and science of digital animation, but the very first point made was to underscore that, to Pixar, the story is first and foremost.

He took us through the entire process from conception to release of the final product, and the storyline drove the entire process. The sheer brilliance of their technological achievements in digital animation depended upon and gained signifcance by reference to the story. These are extemely creative people, in every good sense of that word, and they realized that ideas really matter.

Yes - I am always impressed with Pixar - and have been since I saw their first film short Ithe one with the lamp and the ball, which later became their animated 'logo' for some of their films.

I have to say their Toy Story series wass quite entertaining and the artistry that went into it (both in the writing and the imagery) was sublime. Because it is aimed at kids, it is easy to overlook such tings, but I think their work is better than most works aimed at adults these days.

I am eagerly waiting their next film - due out sometime in November of this year - entitled "The Incredibles". It looks quite amusing, and this is the first time they are tackling humans as central characters. From the looks of it, they are pulling it off nicely. And the Samuel L. Jackson character really captures the subtle nuances of some of his movements in real life. It is quite fun to watch.

Check it out here:

http://www.pixar.com/theater/trailers/incredibles/index.html

Watch the theatrical trailer. It is the best of the lot. ;)

--

I have to add a tidbit to my ongoing Rational Man saga. I finished up that stupid medical/legal mess over the weekend, and now have more time to concentrate on pursuing the series. I am now on lecture 4 of Dr. Peikoff's Intro to Logic course. Going through these tapes is a great refresher. I am coming up with all sorts of ideas as I go along.

For instance, I have figured out a way to *visually* represent some of the Formal Logic arguments. In the future, there is much more automatization than today - machines are everywhere and doing everything. There are even robots who serve man.

Most all of these machines are run by what I call Machine Brains. They are not AI, but sophisticated combinations of three different components:

The hypothetical - a holographic component (shows as transparentish green)

The alternate - which are electrical component (shows as bluish white glow)

and the catagorical - solid material components (shows as ? - metalic? or some solid material)

There are numerous types of machine brains, each constructed using different combinations of these components.

The reason this structure is important is because some of the machine brains are starting to go berzerk. They fail to follow their commands. At first this is seen as just random flukes, but more and more start going wrong - dangerously wrong. Enormous cargo ships crash into the city. Personal vehicles run off the roads. Foodstuffs are being destroyed or misshiped. Even some personal household machines - like the molecular manipulator - begin to go haywire.

Now most of the machines in AisA City perform properly. But because more than just a few are acting up - people become afraid - afraid that the next machine they use is going to cause them harm. The problem is - they have no way of knowing which machine or which robot they use is operating VALIDLY or INVALIDLY. They have no method of determining which one to choose - which is the right course of action to take.

Without this knowledge - without knowing what makes one valid or invalid, most activity in AisA City grinds to a halt. Because people dont know if it is safe to use their machines - transportation slows to a trickle - ground vehicles are left in their stalls - ships are not trusted. Air and tube travel are shunned - even the lights of the entire city dim becase people are afraid to use their static energy motors. ( ;) ).

Whatever villian has concocted this dastardly plan, he chose the perfect means of attacking the city. Without a method of validation, either the citizens would have to choose randomly - or not choose at all. They have to make potentially disasterous decisions - or isolate themselves and not make decisions at all.

Whichever path people choose spells disaster for them and for AisA City

This theme would probably be carried over a few of editions with proper cliffhangers in-between.

To save the day - and the city - it is up to Rational Man not only to rescue people from the illogical deeds committed by these machine brains - but he must also come up with a method of identifying which brains are valid and which are not.

And so he begins by designing a special analyzer which can spot and isolate the particular components in a machine brain, identifying their individual structure. While there are literally millions of machines using such brains in AisA City, there are only a handful of combinations used by the particular manufacturers. And all of them at least 2 particular elements in their construction - antecedium and consequentium (which in the example below, are used in their photonic form. These are more recent discoveries on the period table and are identified by the elemental symbol P and Q repectively.

Now, since this is aimed at kids, you might see some of this in the background - or may be mentioned in passing. The focus will simply be more on the structure itself. making the ideas easier to understand. And, you have to remember, without acutally seeing the visuals, this sounds more complicated than it actually will be.

For instance, the Machine Brains manufactured by Mixed Hypotheticals, Inc (MH Brains) are anlyzed and compared to one of the illogical brains. And we will see that the structures are different. One has what Rational Man identifies as an Affirming structure. The other has a Denying Structure. In looking at all the illogical brains, he discovers they ALL possess the Denying structure.

So Rational Man has thus discovered a means of identifying invalid MH Brains from valid brains. And with this information, Rational Man is able to create a scanner which the citizens of AisA City can use to determine if the brains manufactured by Mixed Hypotheticals are valid or invalid. (He calls this the Formal scanner - because it scans the form, the structure, of the Machine Brain)

It is likely Rational Man will have to modify that scanner further to account for the handful of various Machine Brain structures from the various manufacterers - but the principle of analysis will be consistent throughout.

I have a feeling this sounds complex when in fact it will not be. You will have to let me know if it seems muddy or clear (keeping in mind of course that I have omitted some information for plot purposes and because an actual explanation would take longer than my brain can handle at this hour.

But at least I believe you get the idea. AisA City is crippled because it cannot function without a means of identifying things as valid or invalid. And a means of anylzing these things and discovering which structure is valid and which is not, is VITALLY important, so that AisA city can return to its proper, functional glory.

In other words, no villian sitting down with the hero and going P then Q, P, therefore Q - etc. There is action, suspense, conflict, and a very big mystery to be solved - along with Identity who must be protected from this assault, but at one point must be used as bait to attract one of the invalid machines for analysis.

Make sense?

These are more recent discoveries on the period table and are identified by the elemental symbol P and Q repectively.

P is already taken--"by" Phosphorus...

Make sense?

Sounds exciting!

Will the story have an overall moral? Some difference between the Affirming and Denying structure which is analogous to valid and invalid reasoning perhaps?

"P is already taken--"by" Phosphorus..."

This is a new kind of elemental table. ;)

--

"Will the story have an overall moral? Some difference between the Affirming and Denying structure which is analogous to valid and invalid reasoning perhaps?"

But that's the whole point: the difference between affirming and denying structures in Machine Brains is what causes the affirming structured brains to function properly in reality - and the denying structured brains to function in opposition to reality. Identifying the difference between them with the Formal Scanner is what allows the citizens of AisA City to determine which machine brains are valid and which are invalid - BEFORE acting upon them - before accepting them (just as such analysis of arguments allows you to determine their validity before you accept them and then act upon them).

The moral should hopefully be clear - without a means of determining the difference between valid and invalid arguments, you are completely screwed. Life comes to a halt. You simply cannot act (as evidenced by the citizen's fear of using machines because they might be harmed)- or you cannot act and know if that action will lead to life-affirming ends or life-destroying ends (as evidenced by the destruction wreaked upon AisA City when the the invalid brains are used as if they were valid ones). The concretization of this abstact idea is quite striking - you literally have airships falling out of the sky because invalid logic is being accepted. Certainly makes clear the importance - the life or death nature - of valid reasoning.

Or were you asking about some other form of moral to the story?

:confused:

So my question simply is - does this make sense? Is the idea represented well enough - coherently ehnough?

I am eagerly waiting their next film - due out sometime in November of this year - entitled "The Incredibles". --

From all I have seen, it lives up to its name. But, I previously read about the film they are working on now, Cars, and at the presentation I had a first glimpse of some of the graphics. Awesome!

(I understand they hired Paul Newman to do the voice of a car. Newman has a great voice but it is doubly appropriate since he is a race car driver himself.)

... Make sense?

My advice is to stick with your creative juices and forget about asking anyone else. I'll wait to read the book, or see the movie, whichever comes first. :confused:

I wish I could have seen some of the 'Cars' presentation. I had not heard about it before. Im sure it will be fantastic.

As to asking people about this stuff, I like to get a check every now and then about the clarity of my ideas. *I* know what I want to say. I know the idea I am trying to get across. Im never asking about those things. I just like to confirm that it is understood - or if I need to elaborate more than I first imagine. That's all.

Well, that and it is terribly tempting to share the ideas regardless. I am simply so excited about them.

Anyway, I'll make sure you get an autographed copy - or an invitation to the premiere. :confused:

No, I will! :D

The moral should hopefully be clear - without a means of determining the difference between valid and invalid arguments, you are completely screwed.

Oh, I see! I was looking for the moral to be found at the end of the story, that's why I was puzzled.

Well, it wont be introduced at the beginning of the story. Just the problems associated with accepting ideas without validation. Only about halfway through will the source of the problem be identified - from that point a standard of validation, a means of validating, must be 'built' - then it must be applied to all the machines and robots - with the result either of a replacement of their Logitronic Processsors (yes, that is a change from "machine brain") - or its destruction. Then in the end, the point would be unified and reiterated.

oh - for those who know formal logic too well, you might be amused by this a bit. I've determined that there are 256 types of Robot Logitronic Processors (which are different in structure than the standard machine Logitronic Processors, and must be analyzed differently) manufactured for use in AisA city. Of them, only 15 will turn out to be valid. The rest will have to have their LP's replaced or destroyed.

Here are the identifies for those valid robots:

Barbara Series - Model number AAA-1

Baroco Series - Model number AOO-2

Bocardo Series - Model number OAO-3

Camenes Series - Model number AEE-4

Camestres Series - Model number AEE-2

Celarent Series - Model number EAE-1

Cesare Series - Model number EAE-2

Darii Series - Model number AII-1

Datisi Series - Model number AII-3

Disamis Series - Model number IAI-3

Dimaris Series - Model number IAI-4

Ferio Series - Model number EIO-1

Festino Series - Model number EIO-2

Fresison Series - Model number EIO-4

Ferison Series - Model number EIO-3

Of course, besides this information, each robot will be branded by its own Venn logo, indicating which Logitronic processor is inside. Sort of like Intel's "Intel inside" logo. :)

(As I said, only those who know formal logic will really get this) heheheheheheheh :D

heheh - no comment. :rolleyes:

Seriously - I love it when one comes up with an idea that is so good it literally send chills down the spine. Well, I just did that. Figured out who is behind the sabotage of the logitronic processors - and even more importantly - WHY.

Now, I am NOT going to spoil it for you. I will only say that the reason is very epistemologically (and by implication, metaphysically) based. Beyond that I will only say - I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loving all this.

<_<

I havent finished the logic tapes yet - still have to do definitions and induction parts of the series. But I also had some other work to do, and so focused a bit on what will be necessary to cover metaphysically and epistemologically for the series. As such, I have VERY tentative arc titles for the series:

Rational Man - Origins

Rational Man - The Logic Chronicles

Rational Man - The League of Virtues

Lady Liberty - The Sovereign Seven

Now, as I have somewhat indicated, the series is not going to be produced in the above order. It will first start with Logic. From there, I am not certain yet whether Origins or Virtues will be produced next. After thoses two I may add in a series cross over between Rational Mand and Lady Liberty. Finally there will be the Sovereign Seven.

As Ive thought it out, Origins will deal with how a bright young man eventually follows in his father's footsteps to becomes Rational Man. This arc will be oriented towards the metaphysical and epistemological conflicts between the the Primacy of Existence and the Primacy of consciouusness - and will show not only how RM comes to love Identity, but also how he almost turns his back on the Reason family, betraying both his father (the Rational Man of his time) and his love, Identity.

This conflict will be driven by the young man's confusion over which is primary - a confusion fed by both his uncle and his grandfather - each of which have renounced the family name and have embraced different aspects of the primacy of consciousness.

As it stands, the resolution of this conflict will likely take between at least two and four issues.

--

The Logic Chronicles will pick up a few years later - after the young man becomes an adult and has fully assumed the mantle of Rational Man. This arc of issues will follow Rational Man's exploits in defending AisA City from the various fallacy factions. There will usually be about one isssue per fallacy, so there will eventually be around twenty or so individual episodes (some may extend to more than one edition).

There will ultimately be a connection between Origins and The Logic Chronicles. However, that link will remain a mystery for now. :)

--

After the Logic Chronicles will come the League of Virtues. This is somewhat self explanitory. In fact I had some ideas for a similarly themed set of short stories years ago, based on the Objectivist Virtues. I intend to expand upon and adapt these to the RM format. As has been previously indicated, there will be a particular hero for each of the Virtues (as well as a corresponding villian for each of the opposing vices).

Im not certain how many issues there will be for each of the virtues. Most likely it will be one or two alone - which places the number of issues somewhere between 7 and 14 issues (but with a possibility of even more)

--

I also mentioned earlier an idea which was percolating in my brain. Another character - Lady Liberty. Her focus is ethics as applied to politics (and of course to economics to some degree).

It struck me that she can originally be one of the members of The League of Virtues (most likely Independence) - thus providing a link between the League and the Seven. At one point or another though, she and other citizens of AisA City could venture far beyond the bounds of the city and of civilization. I could see them as something of a rational version of the Seven Samurai. They are hired by various opressed peoples to combat fascism, socialism, democracy, and communism (in the forms of gangs, criminals, or mobs who have taken over their hamlets or townships or cities or even nations). They help the peoples rebel against these thugs and remove them from power - regaining their freedom. And they do it by giving them the ethical base for a proper political and economic system - while also helping to provide them with the training and additional force necessary to eject these interlopers and thugs.

--

Anyway, that seems to be the way the overall arc sets are fleshing out. Thought I'd share a little. :(

I needed a bit of a diversion from all the reading and writing I have been doing lately. So I took a couple hours and roughed together a look for Identity. I also tried playing around a bit with a lighting style I want to use for the series as well. Instead of the darkness in a lot of series, I want this to be a brightly lit place. I also want to try line definition with bright lines not dark lines.

Anyway, here she is (note - she is not as 'finished' as Red Herring - simply because I took a lot more time with Red).

identity.jpg

So I took a couple hours and roughed together a look for Identity.  I also tried playing around a bit with a lighting style I want to use for the series as well.  Instead of the darkness in a lot of series, I want this to be a brightly lit place.  I also want to try line definition with bright lines not dark lines.

Great! I like bright and I like colorful -- especially primary and pure colors. It gives artwork a sense of benevolent, sunlight clarity.

Also, in art, as in life, EYES are crucial. If I could draw, I'd make the Good Guys with bright-colored, large, wide-open, perceptive eyes and the Bad Guys with muddy-colored, small, "it's too much effort to lift my eyelids," shifty, and evasive eyes.