Objectivism Online Forum

Rational Sex

Rate this topic

You son of a bitch,

Are you referring to aequalsa as an SOB in the nice,friendly, we're having a conversation kind of way, or in the mean nasty you're an A-Hole kind of way?

I would guess the former, but given the context I don't think it's appropriate either way. How could he have known you didn't finish the book yet?

Are you referring to aequalsa as an SOB in the nice,friendly, we're having a conversation kind of way, or in the mean nasty you're an A-Hole kind of way?

If I were to hazard a guess, it would be like Fez from That 70's show. Which is not really that nasty. I said it 'afore and I'll say it ag'in, this thread has been done already. Do. A. Search.

Edited by Inspector

If I were to hazard a guess, it would be like Fez from That 70's show. Which is not really that nasty. I said it 'afore and I'll say it ag'in, this thread has been done already. Do. A. Search.

Wrong, it is like arnold schwarzenegger in one of those prank calls he is so fond of, though I can't understand why.

RationalBiker is right in saying that could have used a little more context.

Also, what do you expect? If you don't want to read spoilers then don't read content about something you haven't finished yet. Duh!

Edited by Nate

The primary problem that I would expect, for the man in this scenario, is that he would be making decisions primarily by emotion. The high expereienced is primarily related to novelty and anticipation. So say he find a very excellent woman. Knows her for a year and is rationally convinced of her extraordinary charactor. Her year is almost over and he finds himself responding to another girl. She has a nice rack, is very fun to be with, etc. Whatever gets him going. He decides that she is the equal of the first girl in every way. The problem is, he actually knows very little about the new gal, and has filled in all of the gaps in his knowledge with best case scenario details. He doesn't have an accurate picture. So he discards the first one, which he knows to be excellent, for one which he imagines to be "perfect" during the throws of his emotional bliss. In a world where most people were great dagnys and galts the odds for his emotional decision would be in his favor. In the world that I am familiar with, dagnys are hard to come by.

Yeah, it is a little too risky. The man in my example is similar to being a thrill seeker.

Sorry. I didnt realize. If galt died or dumped her for super-dagny, then she would still try to find the best that she could. You are not obliged to be with the best in existence...just the best you can find and get. If you are stuck on a desert island with one women...I'm gonna guess that she'll be your "dagny" within about 3 months.

I agree with the first part. The desert island example, it depends what woman is on the desert island with me, as long as shes not a real lunatic or a nagger, then we would most likely be at least good friends.

I would guess the former, but given the context I don't think it's appropriate either way. How could he have known you didn't finish the book yet?

It was said in a joking way. I know he didnt know I didnt read the ending of AS.

Listen to this if you want to know what I was thinking of when I wrote it: http://www.celebrityprankcalling.com/downl...hp?id_files=120

Edited by konerko14

It was said in a joking way. I know he didnt know I didnt read the ending of AS.

No offense was taken, by the way. I've worked in construction for the better part of my life, so you can imagine it would take a bit more creativity to ruffle my feathers. Shoot! SOB is pretty much a term of endearment in my line of work. No worries.

Well Im trying to figure out if having sex with a lot of (rational) people is a form of hedonism. Having sex with a lot of partners who you love doesnt seem to go against what Ayn Rands depiction of what sex should be, but it might fit the definition of hedonism because all it really is is seeking short term joy. But what benefits would a long term relationship with someone give you as opposed to many short term relationships?

Hedonism is an ethical philosophy which holds that pleasure (in the short term, from the Greek hedone, as opposed to eudaimonia, which meant long term happiness or well being) is the appropriate standard for morality. Seeking pleasure is not necessarily hedonism. It's only hedonism if pleasure is the standard by which all of one's decisions are made.

I think it would be impossible to show that one could only be motivated to have sex with a lot of rational people as a result of hedonistic premises.

• 2 weeks later...