Objectivism Online Forum

Tony Blair grows a pair

Rate this topic

The way that I took that is that he was just saying that it's important that people be allowed to practice their own culture and religion. Interpreted that way, I totally agree.

No, he's not saying that (although he is, for the first time, asserting that right); he's still saying that "diversity," as such "adds" something. In other words, it is not on the basis of the right to practice a different culture; it is still on the basis that non-western cultures somehow add something and it's better to mix barbarism with civilization. Not because he has identified an objective element that it adds, but because this represents "diversity."

In the end, it still boils down to the-sacrifice-of-western-values = good.

But like I said, he's starting to assert himself, and western values.

Meh...when I hear the word "culture," I tend to think more of food and music and the like. I certainly think Western societies have much to gain by having non-Western cultures filter in their respective foods and art. The "barbarism" aspect falls more under their ethical and political systems, which is what Blair was speaking against.

Meh...when I hear the word "culture," I tend to think more of food and music and the like.

You think wrongly in this case. While it includes food and music, it also includes the burqa, the inferiority of women, arranged marraiges, family "honor," the hatred of the Jews, etc. (not to mention the illegal elements, such as honor killings, legalized rape, public stonings, Sharia, etc)