Objectivism Online Forum

Painting and Visual Art

Rate this topic

Patrick

Well, since you are an admirer of Damon Denys, I assume you are already aware of the Cordair gallery's other great artists, such as Bryan Larsen. Those two are definitely near the top of my list of favorites.

Well, since you are an admirer of Damon Denys, I assume you are already aware of the Cordair gallery's other great artists, such as Bryan Larsen.  Those two are definitely near the top of my list of favorites.

I love the Cordair gallery, as well as the Art Renewal Center. I have a difficult time finding good art anywhere else.

Then I have some treats for you!

Go to my CyberNet Links page and scroll down to the "Visual Arts" links.

p-city.jpg

p-venus.jpg

These are two of my favorites from the ART 21 site.

Betsy,

Thank you. I think I've actually been to most of those sites already in my constant searches of the web for good art. But I did find a few gems I must have overlooked since the last time I went to these sites.

I like a few things by Dali, along with the concepts of surrealism. The rest of my liking is in abstract art mostly. Though cubism intrigues me at times. and there was 2 paintings I saw once. I think they were called "The 3 or 4 stages of man" and the other was, "The bottom of the sea" or something like that. I love sculptures too. The idea of someone carving out the body of some image in their mind. Like James Taylor (but he's not famous, i don't think).

Hey! That's where I live! I've never seen it look like that, though . . . those are gorgeous, Patrick. I think I'll check out what else Mr. Jerins has done, too.

As for favorites, you'll find me squarely aligned with the British neoclassicists, including Lord Leighton (you have to see the man's house in Holland Park; it's jaw-drop amazing), John William Godward, Edward Poynter, etc. I also like a few of the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Evelyn De Morgan.

Contemporarily (hmm . . . word? :) ), Han Wu Shen has recently snuck his way to the top of my list. I also like just about anything made with acrylic, a la Michael Wilkinson's stuff.

So far, though, what's actually made it onto my walls has been vintage posters--http://www.vintagearte.com. I especially like the art deco style stuff, and some of the World's Fair ones. This style of art suffers little in reproductions, vs. the neoclassicist stuff above, which tends to be less fun in affordable posters than it is in the original.

Hey! That's where I live! I've never seen it look like that, though . . . those are gorgeous, Patrick. I think I'll check out what else Mr. Jerins has done, too.

As for favorites, you'll find me squarely aligned with the British neoclassicists, including Lord Leighton (you have to see the man's house in Holland Park; it's jaw-drop amazing), John William Godward, Edward Poynter, etc. I also like a few of the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Evelyn De Morgan.

Contemporarily (hmm . . . word? :) ), Han Wu Shen has recently snuck his way to the top of my list. I also like just about anything made with acrylic, a la Michael Wilkinson's stuff.

So far, though, what's actually made it onto my walls has been vintage posters--http://www.vintagearte.com. I especially like the art deco style stuff, and some of the World's Fair ones. This style of art suffers little in reproductions, vs. the neoclassicist stuff above, which tends to be less fun in affordable posters than it is in the original.

I also enjoy works by William Godward and Lord Leighton. :P BTW, where exactly do you live? I have known of that painting for 2 years and never knew what city it was.

• 4 weeks later...

my fave painting

this is my favorite painting...its on my wall. it is by Jack Vettriano. i've seen the rest of his work and i can't say i'm crazy about it. but this one painting i love. i was walking down the mall one day and i literally did a double take when i glanced at it through the window. i love how the couple are dancing and looking (or rather acting) so happy despite the lousy weather! in general i'm into romantic realism art.

my fave painting

this is my favorite painting...its on my wall. it is by Jack Vettriano. i've seen the rest of his work and i can't say i'm crazy about it. but this one painting i love. i was walking down the mall one day and i literally did a double take when i glanced at it through the window. i love how the couple are dancing and looking (or rather acting) so happy despite the lousy weather! in general i'm into romantic realism art.

That is a great painting. I laughed aloud when I clicked on that link and saw it. There's just something so joyous about it!