Objectivism Online Forum

Honesty About Relationships

Rate this topic

By Diana from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

In a recent blog post on Rule of Reason, Nick Provenzo notes that the op-eds of Robert Tracinski posted on ARI's web site now appear with the following note in the tagline: "Robert W. Tracinski is no longer associated with the Ayn Rand Institute--neither as a writer nor as a speaker."

I agree wholeheartedly with Nick's sentiments about the change:

Objectivists are often criticized for their public break-ups, but I think being forthright when a relationship ends is the more honest approach. Reality demands an unflinching dedication to the truth, including the fact that some relationships deserve to end.

In my opinion, Tracinski has publicly embraced a theory of history that rejects the importance of Objectivism and principled consistency in defining and defending the long term good. As such, it would be dishonest to claim that he continues to be a public advocate for Ayn Rand's philosophy. If the end of Tracinski's association with ARI was brought on by his recent thinking, I am glad for it, for it would be an honest end to recent events.

If I can manage the time, I'd like to write a post or two on Robert Tracinski's significant departures from basic principles of Objectivism in recent years. In particular, I have much to say about his switch from rationalism to empiricism in his view of the role of philosophy in human life found in his not-yet-finished "What Went Right" series. At the moment, however, I'm intensely busy with real work. If I can find the time though, I'll write what I can.

(And speaking of terminated relationships, I won't be posting further on SoloPassion for the reasons detailed in this post.)

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/blog/archives/002185.html

Thanks Ifat. I have the most recent TIA on my nightstand, whith Tracinski's "What Have We Learned" article. I read it through once and somethign didn't make sense to me. For some reason I missed the issue with Pajama Epistemology.

Tracinski fundamentally mischarterizes the Objectivist position on the theory of the role of philsophy in history. And the resulting empiricism that Diana mentions above is evident in the "What Have We Learned" article.

The link you provided let me see his claims clearly.. Thanks!

Tracinski fundamentally mischarterizes the Objectivist position on the theory of the role of philsophy in history.
Could you elaborate on this?

The linked article was the only one by Tracinski that I have read on this topic; but, within this article, he seems to make the leap from "philosophy drives history" to "philosophers drive history" as though the first automatically means the second. I don't think that link is as obvious as one may assume.

ARI's web site now appear with the following note in the tagline: "Robert W. Tracinski is no longer associated with the Ayn Rand Institute--neither as a writer nor as a speaker."

When did that tagline first appear? Anyone know? I've seen it there before, about two weeks ago.

Edited by intellectualammo

Could you elaborate on this?

The linked article was the only one by Tracinski that I have read on this topic; but, within this article, he seems to make the leap from "philosophy drives history" to "philosophers drive history" as though the first automatically means the second. I don't think that link is as obvious as one may assume.

Sorry, SN, missed this post. I am working this topic, as I am re-reading in detail the What Have We Learned? article and trying to do some concrete detection.

Ifat's link no longer works, but there are some salient points being made by several bloggers, as this article demonstrates.

I'll come back to this when my thoughts are more fully formed, but I'm becoming more convinced that Tracinski has blown it. The irony is that his own analysis is an example of how philosophy, as an ultimate cause, determines courses of action in history, against his own claims to the contrary.

Stay tuned.

Edited by KendallJ