Objectivism Online Forum

Reichstag fire

Rate this topic

Jimbean

The Reichstag fire was the one event that greatly empowered the Nazis and allowed for the nightmare of Nazi Germany. Taken this same concept, wouldn't the effect be magnified if the attack was a religious target on a day like Christmas? And what are some of the fundamental differences between *conspiracy theorists* and objectivists (if you chose to give out names)?

For a very detailed analysis of how the Nazis rose to power, see The Ominous Parallels by Leonard Peikoff. It was NOT due to some, one, isolated incident like the Reichstag fire.

But the Reichstag fire was an important part, as well as the concept behind it. I am mostly after the concept here.

But the Reichstag fire was an important part, as well as the concept behind it. I am mostly after the concept here.

Not really, no. Nazism was caused by the prevailing philosophies of the country which had been calling for a Nazi-style system as early as the mid-nineteenth century. It had been advocated by every single cultural force in the nation for nearly one hundred years (including factions at odds with each other). In no way was any minor incident "responsible" for it.

Not really, no. Nazism was caused by the prevailing philosophies of the country which had been calling for a Nazi-style system as early as the mid-nineteenth century. It had been advocated by every single cultural force in the nation for nearly one hundred years (including factions at odds with each other). In no way was any minor incident "responsible" for it.

Forget the philosophy of nazism. What did the Reichstag fire help do, what can we learn from it.

Just from my brief look, I'd have to say that the fire was a random incident, which if it hadn't happened wouldn't have affected much because Hitler was already in power and would have found any other sort of random incident to precipitate his intent.

This is sort of like blaming the match that lights the fuse rather than the dynamite and the person who put it there, for an explosion, don't you think?

Let me ask this. Why do you think it was so important relative to the power of the ideas that had been swirling in Weimar Germany and for decades previous?

Edited by KendallJ

JimBeam,

Why don't you tell us what the concept is, instead of repeatedly alluding to it but not naming it?

Alright, I wanted to draw out people's thinking on this forum in such a way that I could learn from.

I will first give you this quote:

“Naturally, the common people don’t want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.”

-Hermann Goering-the man who, most likely, set fire to the Reichstag

My point is that dishonest politicians use and need disasters in order to survive. The planned disasters are even better for them, but any disaster will do for the dishonest politician, bureaucrat, media personality (aka talking heads), etc.

This sounds pretty evil doesn't it?

Watch out, because where I am going with this will get controversial, some of you may know where I am going with this, but if you don't, that is okay for now. I want to discuss the possiblities and implications of subjects that I will use, using different points of view.

Watch out, because where I am going with this will get controversial, some of you may know where I am going with this

If you wanted to discuss the George Bush planned 9/11 controversy there are easier ways to get there. Or is that not where you're going with this.. :lol:

“Naturally, the common people don’t want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.”

-Hermann Goering-the man who, most likely, set fire to the Reichstag

My point is that dishonest politicians use and need disasters in order to survive. The planned disasters are even better for them, but any disaster will do for the dishonest politician, bureaucrat, media personality (aka talking heads), etc.

Well, ok. Was Goering right? or was he a fool? and what evidence do you have for your claim? Just because the Nazi's were able to come to power doesn't mean that they understood why the were able to, and I'm not so sure Goering was a strong student of history. What if he was an arrogant windbag?

Take the thesis of "The Ominous Parrallels" which articulates what has come to be referred to as the Objectivist theory of history. That Goerring's statement is only true given certain philosophical ideas that had to infuse themselves into the culture over the course of decades. That in fact, his statement is not true, for any culture, with any set of philosophical ideas.

If that is true, then the particular event that precipitated anything is really unimportant. Yes, some event had to, but any event would do. But more importantly, that different set of philosophical ideas in the culture could withstand such an event.

Where does that leave the point you were going to make?