Objectivism Online Forum

Nude Calendars

Rate this topic

Mimpy

You said you weren't concerned with other peoples consciousness though. How is someone looking at you with lust different than someone calling you names?

The concern with other people's consciousness in the first instance (of name calling) is that I tie my self-esteem to their evaluation of me, and therefor when they call me names I feel bad about myself. But in the second case the disgust is simply by the concepts involved. If you have a hard time understanding my disgust in the second case, try taking it to the extreme, like... someone eating chocolate syrup with raw egg and cockroaches in it. It's eatable, but oh man, you have to be a perve to wanna eat that! Get it now?

Why is being naked so personal for you?

As for the other half of my answer: why I would mind if someone sees me naked when it won't be disgusting, and in what way my metaphor of stealing property applies even though no material property has been taken from me in any way.

I'll answer it later, have no time now.

The concern with other people's consciousness in the first instance (of name calling) is that I tie my self-esteem to their evaluation of me, and therefor when they call me names I feel bad about myself.

Thats not second handed psychology? Shouldnt your self-esteem be tied to your own actions and reasons for them, not other people's opinions of your actions?

But in the second case the disgust is simply by the concepts involved. If you have a hard time understanding my disgust in the second case, try taking it to the extreme, like... someone eating chocolate syrup with raw egg and cockroaches in it. It's eatable, but oh man, you have to be a perve to wanna eat that! Get it now?
No. How does that analogy relate to strangers enjoying your body? I get that you find it disgusting, but why. Maybe because you dont want others(or anything) to make a mockery of you, which, in this case, is strangers treating photos(or images in their head) of your naked body in a way you dont approve, or how you dont want your actual body to be handled.

As for the other half of my answer: why I would mind if someone sees me naked when it won't be disgusting, and in what way my metaphor of stealing property applies even though no material property has been taken from me in any way.

I'll answer it later, have no time now.

Just want to remind you..

I think that there is one thing most of us are forgetting: These women posing for these pictures are probably not objectivists, and therefore are not thinking about it the same way we are. That means that their motives are most likely less than honorable. It doesn't matter what your veiw of the human body or nudity is; what really matters is their motives. I had the chance to hear one of the calander girls speaking on the radio, and to me she sounded like a naive, ignorant, college girl, that just wanted attention. If that is her motive, then none of you can defend those girls, because they have no honorable reason for doing this calander.