Objectivism Online Forum

Blood Diamond

Rate this topic

Myself

I just finished seeing Blood Diamond in the theaters - it would be an understatement to say I was pleasantly surprised. If not for the fact that the last 10 minutes of the film were pointless and should have been cut, and a few shaky scenes re-worked, I would say this film is a masterpiece. DiCaprio's acting was superb and the conflict and storyline were fascinating. I actually wouldn't mind going to see it for a second time, if only to study the film with a more critical eye this time.

Any thoughts?

I have yet to see the movie, but anything with Jennifer Connely in it, and I'm there.

If anyone should be playing Dagny in AS, it should be her.

duhrooool...

I'm interested to know how they played DeCaprio's character. Immoral guy who turns moral or what?

I'm interested to know how they played DeCaprio's character. Immoral guy who turns moral or what?

Without giving away any spoilers - no, it's much more complex than that. Archer (DiCaprio's character), was never particularly immoral and he was never "redeemed." At some points he has a bitter, somewhat cynical mentality, but overwhelmingly he was a realist - with a burning, overarching goal. His character development traced his attitude toward men and "sense-of-life" in general. I actually didn't sense any bias or judgment toward Archer by the director or writers - if anything they portrayed him as a very benevolent character in a gritty sort of way.

Edited by Myself

• 3 weeks later...

I did get a chance to see this film. I loved it. Somewhat naturalistic, but good plot and character development.

The director, Edward Zwick, has made some of my favorite movies, including Glory, and Courage Under Fire, and also The Last Samurai.

And Jennifer Connely continues to impress as one of the best options for Dagny!

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw it, and it was amazing. Despite my hatred of Titanic, I always hail Leo as an amazing actor. I especially liked the part where Jennifer Connely's character, who has that "humanitarian" air about her, slips up and says something to the effect of, "Forget about Solomon. Do you really think saving one person will make any difference? ... Shit, I can't believe I just said that."

Anyways, this movie has brought some questions to mind. Mainly, what do people think about this situation? I ask because I wonder if I am missing something. At the end of the movie, the guy who used to be on 7th Heaven (give me a break, I was like, seven when I used to watch it) was giving a speech saying that the natural resources of another country are not ours to use for our own comfort. I disagree with that statement as such, but not in the case of conflict diamonds, where those resources are being worked on through slave labor, at the expense of many lives. Is it immoral to buy diamonds that were mined at gunpoint, or am I missing something? ... I personally liked the solution proposed by the movie, which was not legislation, but simply to ask, when buying a diamond, if it is conflict-free...

Anyways, this movie has brought some questions to mind. Mainly, what do people think about this situation? I ask because I wonder if I am missing something. At the end of the movie, the guy who used to be on 7th Heaven (give me a break, I was like, seven when I used to watch it) was giving a speech saying that the natural resources of another country are not ours to use for our own comfort. I disagree with that statement as such, but not in the case of conflict diamonds, where those resources are being worked on through slave labor, at the expense of many lives. Is it immoral to buy diamonds that were mined at gunpoint, or am I missing something? ... I personally liked the solution proposed by the movie, which was not legislation, but simply to ask, when buying a diamond, if it is conflict-free...

***SPOILERS***

The director could have perfectly ended the film on an emotionally powerful note with Archer on top of the mountain in Africa, letting the red soil slip through his fingers as he was about to die. Unfortunately the last 10 minutes of the film were propoganda which I don't approve of in art. If I end up purchasing the DVD I know exactly where to stop watching. At least that's something...

/SPOILERS

Edited by Myself

• 1 year later...

I had to watch this movie for my English class because we are currently focusing on the civil war in Sierra Leone. I thought the movie was just excellent. Leonardo Dicaprio's character was so intricately complex. I especially enjoyed the dynamic of his relationship with Solomon: sometimes Dicaprio was holding him at gunpoint, other times they were talking about marriage and family. It showed how complex of an individiaul Dicaprio was and that he was not a bad person, as such. He grew up in a bad place, saw horrific things and was trying to live the best he could.

I also enjoyed the director's message at the end when he said that even though countries had signed agreements to not purchase conflict diamonds, some still slip through. He mentioned that it was ultimately up to the consumer to decide whether or not he wanted to purchase conflict diamonds. I wholly agree with that statement.

Also, the portrayal of the Sierra Leone civil war was very vivid and accurately done. This was a great movie!

Just a "if you liked that, you'll like..."

The Director Edward Zwick is one of my favorites. Somewhat of a fatalistic streak, but always gripping dramatic ideas, and generally movies that involved values and virtues. And always great complex characters.

Courage Under Fire

Glory

The Last Samurai

The Siege

And he was the director and later producer of one of my favorite series in the late 80's "Thirtysomething..."

And one of my favorite romantic comedies, although it's a bit dated now, "About Last Night..."