Objectivism Online Forum

Pesos for Pizza

Rate this topic

neuromancer

Yeah, if someone is accepting British Pounds in New York for an Armani suit, no one cares. They had the guy who owns all of the restaurants on Fox this morning and he was very good. I think he made a fool of the two hosts. I'm not sure if they are upset that he is "encouraging illegal immigrants" or if it's because he is, I'm assuming, a foreigner running a successful business.....Most likely just a combination of both. The thing that upsets me is that if this can make it to prime time news, next thing one knows, laws are being passed outlawing money altogether.

Its funny these are the same people that are crying that America is importing to much, and trade imbalances are killing us. If you think about it, this little transaction is an export of pizza to Mexico (or the Mexican economy in general), and an import of wealth into the United States. How is this not a good thing? Of course, such people tend to be anti-trade and anti-immigration in general, but it would be refreshing if they actually thought before opening there mouths!

Personally I say, Applause to that Pizza Chain! They are fixing the US trade imbalance one pepperoni at a time!

Just about every supermarket in Mexico accepts dollars. Many other stores, particularly those in tourist areas, take US currency as well. Most hotels do, too.

During the 1980s, Mexico went through several currency devaluations. This hit cities like Laredo and McAllen in texas pretty hard, as many Mexicans shopped there. On one trip to Laredo, one fo the big stores at the mall took pesos at a very favorable rate for the buyer. In effect, it was giving a discount to Mexican buyers.

Ultimately, currency is currency. Any convertible type can be exchanged for any other. Money may be lost on the exchange, but that is the taker's business.

The Pizza chain in question is called Pizza Patron and they market themselves almost exclusively to the very large Hispanic market here in Texas and locate their stores in predominantly Hispanic neighborhoods. Here is their website: http://www.pizzapatron.com/

My guess is that they will take in very few Pesos when all is said and done and that the small number of people who actually do pay in Pesos could just as easily have paid in U.S. Dollars had that not been their policy. But the policy has been given extensive coverage in the local news media here in Texas and, now, apparently across the nation. In other words, that simple change in policy which will, in and of itself, have little impact on traffic in its stores has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars of free publicity which will be positively received by the very people who are in their target market. Furthermore, Hispanics in states that do not yet have a Pizza Patron will now have heard of it and probably be curious about it. And guess what? A major section of their website plugs franchise opportunities.

Someone associate with that company is absolutely brilliant, I think.

Pizza Patrons are all over the place here in the Fort Worth/Dallas area. I have yet to eat at one - but it is on my list of places to eventually try out.

Edited by Dismuke

In other words, that simple change in policy which will, in and of itself, have little impact on traffic in its stores has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars of free publicity which will be positively received by the very people who are in their target market. Furthermore, Hispanics in states that do not yet have a Pizza Patron will now have heard of it and probably be curious about it.

You got it right. For any bath they'd take on an exchange rate basis they gain so very much more marketing wise. Plus they garner some of the us vs them viva la raza sentiment.

There was one near my old house when I lived in the heart of Houston. It wasn't bad pizza. Especially good was the pepperoni and jalapeno. It grows on you.

You got it right. For any bath they'd take on an exchange rate basis they gain so very much more marketing wise. Plus they garner some of the us vs them viva la raza sentiment.

There was one near my old house when I lived in the heart of Houston. It wasn't bad pizza. Especially good was the pepperoni and jalapeno. It grows on you.

Oh, they've got them here? I haven't eaten there yet. Well, I'm curious now. I think the marketing ploy has worked on me.

According to one of the articles on the company's website, a large pizza with everything on it only costs $7.99. That's pretty cheap. I hope it tastes better than CiCi's Pizza. CiCi's is a chain of very low priced pizza buffet - all you can eat for less than $5. Unfortunately, no matter what kind of pizza you get from their buffet, it all tastes the same. That has kind of made me a bit biased against cheap pizza. There is another chain here in Texas called Double Daves which sometimes has very decent pizza buffets - but some locations seem to offer buffets and others do not and those that do are not consistent about the time of day it is available.

I think the very best pizza is the kind you get by the slice in hole-in-the-wall dives in New York City. That stuff is so good - anytime I am in New York I pig out on that and White Castle hamburgers which does not have locations here in Texas. I have tried several places in various parts of the Fort Worth/Dallas area which sell pizza by the slice and which claim to offer "New York style" pizza - but I have yet to find a single place that has pizza at all like the stuff in NYC.

I can't say I have high hopes of finding such pizza at Pizza Patron - but for $8, I will give them a shot. What I ought to do for kicks is take some of the Euros I have in and watch the look on their face when I present them. Somewhere around here I have an envelope with approximately 60 Euros in cash left over from when I purchased some records from Germany a few years ago. The owner refused to sell them to me unless I sent him the money in cash in Euros. It was a real pain - I had to order the Euros from my bank and the minimum amount I could order was 100 Euros. So I ended up sending the Euro cash in the mail (not the smartest thing, probably) and by the time I finally received the records, it was such a long time later that I had already give up hope of ever seeing them figuring that the money either got stolen in transit or the seller was a crook and did not send them knowing there was very little I could do about it. I really ought to either find some more records in Germany to buy or else take the notes back to my bank and deposit them back in my account. In the meanwhile, however, I could always take them to Pizza Patron and amuse myself by watching the staff try to patiently explain to what they will suppose is a crazy gringo the difference between a Euro and a Peso! For $8 I would not only get a pizza, I would get an amusing side show as well!

I think the very best pizza is the kind you get by the slice in hole-in-the-wall dives in New York City. That stuff is so good - anytime I am in New York I pig out on that and White Castle hamburgers which does not have locations here in Texas. I have tried several places in various parts of the Fort Worth/Dallas area which sell pizza by the slice and which claim to offer "New York style" pizza - but I have yet to find a single place that has pizza at all like the stuff in NYC.
You can't beat that thin New York crust. I definitely prefer it to Chicago-style pizza. As for White Castle, that's a taste I've never grown to like. I think it has something to do with the liver paste on the burgers. It just doesn't agree with me.

You can't beat that thin New York crust. I definitely prefer it to Chicago-style pizza. As for White Castle, that's a taste I've never grown to like. I think it has something to do with the liver paste on the burgers. It just doesn't agree with me.

You are a philistine on both counts. :blush: