Objectivism Online Forum

Any Objectivist Politicians?

Rate this topic

norak

On another thread I read the following: "Objectivists need to consider building a nation we can call our own, where our principles can be put to practical use. If we are so great, then we should have no trouble repidly forming the greatest nation on earth. We need only find John Galt, stop the motor of the world, and bring all those producers to our country. The rest of the world, lacking it's scientists and technical geniuses, will be helpless to do anything about it. If we take all their mechanics, engineers and scientists and bring them to our side of the table, it will paralize the world government and we might have a chance to rise to a world power."

Instead of building anohter country, why not just overtake the ones that exists and change them? That being said, are there any Objectivist politicians out there? Christians have a strong influence in politics, especially in American politics. Can Objectivism ever aspire to the level of influence that Christians have?

Because neither of the above ways is how it works. Not on principle, and not practically. The form of government in effect ultimately depends on the dominant ideas of the culture. Take a lesson from the Ayn Rand Institute's approach, the ultimate purpose of which is to convince. The ARI spends its efforts on educating people: on publishing essays, on sponsoring public talks, on promoting and subsidizing Ayn Rand's novels for high-school students, on giving Objectivists advanced training in philosophy, and on helping to place Objectivists at universities. The ARI is attempting to change the American culture by expose people to reality-based philosophy, both in general and, specifically, in university.

• 5 months later...

Ayn Rand stated (and Im paraphrasing) in Philosophy: who needs it, Reason and Freedom were corollaries. When people are free they choose reason, and when people are rational they choose freedom.

So I don't necessarily agree that we need an entire cultural/philosophical shift before we have a political shift. We do need a philosophical revolution though. It would be very very difficult for an Objectivist to be elected anywhere in the world, but if say that were to happen, or at the very least a Barry Goldwater non compassionate, non neocon, pro reason conservative well then it would only open the doors to more freedom, more wealth, and more reason.

One of my goals in life is to found and head a mutli-national corporation, preferably a financial corporation.

I wanted to use that power to "experiment" with the under-developed third world and find a nation that would be willing to accept more capitalistic principles. There are small areas in Africa where tribal leaders rule, but they are peaceful because that tribal leader is a good and wise leader for the most part. Find some place like that and convince them how capitalism can help them and help us (my company) greatly.

So they let us "set up shop" and then we pay the workers better wages so they can live a lot better and use this as an example for other Africans to come to this country and work. Basically transfrom the country into something like modern day Dubai. Dubai impresses me too no end about how quick a country can develop if they become more friendly to capitalism and the Western philosophies behind it.

There are small areas in Africa where tribal leaders rule, but they are peaceful because that tribal leader is a good and wise leader for the most part. Find some place like that and convince them how capitalism can help them and help us (my company) greatly.
You mean, convince the king of the Swazi to relinquish his absolute power of life and death over people and let untaxed free enterprise be the order of the day? A nice idea, but how about naming names. Where exactly do you think this is plausible? I think that tribal leaders are exactly why Africa is in trouble, and the farther they can get from tribalism, the better.

One of my goals in life is to found and head a mutli-national corporation, preferably a financial corporation.

I wanted to use that power to "experiment" with the under-developed third world and find a nation that would be willing to accept more capitalistic principles. There are small areas in Africa where tribal leaders rule, but they are peaceful because that tribal leader is a good and wise leader for the most part. Find some place like that and convince them how capitalism can help them and help us (my company) greatly.

So they let us "set up shop" and then we pay the workers better wages so they can live a lot better and use this as an example for other Africans to come to this country and work. Basically transfrom the country into something like modern day Dubai. Dubai impresses me too no end about how quick a country can develop if they become more friendly to capitalism and the Western philosophies behind it.

Um. Good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I think "purchasing" land in Africa and putting in place a "night watchman" state would be a much more likely scenario to promote capitalism in Africa than convincing a tribal leader to give up his absolute power.

Edited by Solid_Choke

Personally I think "purchasing" land in Africa and putting in place a "night watchman" state would be a much more likely scenario to promote capitalism in Africa than convincing a tribal leader to give up his absolute power.

I can recall someone once talking about buying Sakhalin Island from the Russians, just like Alaska was, and developing that as a capitalist country. That ain't happening any time soon either, as Shell found out the hard way.

JJM

I beleive that one of the United States Supreme Court Associate Justices Clarence Earl Thomas is a huge Ayn Rand fan. He even tried to make all the other justices read the Fountainhead.

I suspect Ayn Rand would not be a huge fan of him! Justice Thomas advocates overturning Roe v. Wade. He also perceives that the Establishment Clause does not extend to the states via the Fourteenth Amendment.

It is great if he did try to get the other justices to read The Fountainhead.

• 3 years later...