Objectivism Online Forum

Debates, Past and Future

Rate this topic

By Diana from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Trey Givens blogs a report on a recent debate on the UN between critic Dr. Yaron Brook and defender Dr. Gilligan. (One of these days, opponents of Dr. Brook in debate will realize that they must show up prepared!)

Speaking of debates with Dr. Brook, Boulder's Philosophy Department (or more precisely, its Center for Values and Social Policy) will be hosting a debate on just war theory between Yaron Brook and Martin Cook on March 13th from 7:30 to 9:30 pm in the lovely Wittemeyer Courtroom of the Wolf Law Building as part of its "Think!" series. Martin Cook is a professor of philosophy at the Air Force Academy -- and one of the preeminent just war theorists in the country.

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/blog/archives/002243.html

Glad to see Yaron kicking ass.

I'd like to make a comment concerning the following from Trey Givens' blog:

Trey said:

I did want to discuss one argument that Dr. Gilligan presented this evening. He said that he is baffled when people claim that the UN is both ineffectual but also detrimental to US interests and an enemy of our freedom.

I'd say the answer to this is that the U.N. is not ineffectual. It acts to bog us down, to thwart our efforts, in that way it is very effective. This is all the more reason to pull out of the organization.