Objectivism Online Forum

Is Divorce rate higher for Internet Savvy people?

Rate this topic

robinayala

Many feel that divorce rate higher for Internet Savvy people with following valid reasons

1) Chat rooms and sites which reunite friends make it easier for unhappy husbands or wives to meet other people and possibly go on to have an affair.

2) They work long hours (even at home) without giving enough time for family affairs.

What is opinion about it? Do you think it can be true?

Robin :)

Since this is a debate, why don't you tell us what you think about it first

:), sure. IMO it can be true as sometimes we end up loving our innovation and put extra time to make it happen. This extra time comes out of the 24 hrs allotted to us everyday. We end up consuming the hours allotted for our family. This can create some distance and if not taken care on time, it can create bigger communication gaps which can lead to a divorce.

I think this is without a doubt true. Romance is a market with extremely high transaction costs, and anything that will lower these transaction costs will lead to more "transactions."

More transactions could also mean that people who were before not getting any relationships are now getting some. I don't see how that would be a bad thing.

The bigger issue is that the ease of finding a new partner is not an essential reason as to why relationships fail. I mean, if you are at the point where you want to find someone else, then I think the relationship is probably dead in the water, anyway. It would just take a longer time for the breakup to occur otherwise, but I don't see how that is ever a good thing. I think the opening statement of this thread says more about the rationality of the people involved than about them being internet-savvy.

It's like saying: drugs are bad because they mess up people's lives. But the thing is, people choose to take the damn things, and they would probably find some alternative way of messing up their life if they couldn't use this particular one. To stay in a relationship just because it's too hard to leave is one of the most insipid reasons I've heard to date.

It seems to me that the internet has made it easier for people to "trade up" in relationships, which is not a bad thing. But it's important to keep in mind that if someone is browsing the internet for a better partner, then their current relationship is already not healthy, as Maarten pointed out. If anything, the internet may have made it more enticing for people to end their bad relationships, since it makes the task of meeting someone new less daunting, but I can't say it is necessarily responsible for these failed connections.

More transactions could also mean that people who were before not getting any relationships are now getting some. I don't see how that would be a bad thing.

The bigger issue is that the ease of finding a new partner is not an essential reason as to why relationships fail. I mean, if you are at the point where you want to find someone else, then I think the relationship is probably dead in the water, anyway. It would just take a longer time for the breakup to occur otherwise, but I don't see how that is ever a good thing. I think the opening statement of this thread says more about the rationality of the people involved than about them being internet-savvy.

It's like saying: drugs are bad because they mess up people's lives. But the thing is, people choose to take the damn things, and they would probably find some alternative way of messing up their life if they couldn't use this particular one. To stay in a relationship just because it's too hard to leave is one of the most insipid reasons I've heard to date.

Woah, time out.

I never said this was a bad thing. I haven't used this new online dating thing, but I think it's great for everyone. Like you, I'm not interested in ill-matched couples staying together. Divorces are not inherently bad.

• 7 months later...
Many feel that divorce rate higher for Internet Savvy people with following valid reasons

1) Chat rooms and sites which reunite friends make it easier for unhappy husbands or wives to meet other people and possibly go on to have an affair.

2) They work long hours (even at home) without giving enough time for family affairs.

What is opinion about it? Do you think it can be true?

Robin :)

Is there a database out there pertinent to this question? If there isn't then one must either gather data or talk about something else.

Bob Kolker

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly, anecdotal - and by anecdotal I mean each result taken individually, quite accessible 'evidence' can be found simply by googling Everquest and Divorce. A short-cut for sure, but .25 million results seems to say something.

There's your database :P

JB

Edited by Saiphes

Admittedly, anecdotal - and by anecdotal I mean each result taken individually, quite accessible 'evidence' can be found simply by googling Everquest and Divorce. A short-cut for sure, but .25 million results seems to say something.

I wonder how that rate compares with the effect that WoW has had. I see a lot of couples who play WoW together, and WoW certainly has more subscribers than EQ ever did.