Objectivism Online Forum

Tax protesters in NH?

Rate this topic

So we can't have a philosophical revolution until the government stops controlling education. But the government isn't going to stop controlling education until there's a philosophical revolution.

I wonder how long it will be before we're all arrested for plotting to bring about the economic collapse of the US Government.

Hmmm... Maybe one could convert all one's assets to gold, buy oneself a fancy, well-equipped yacht and go live in 'international waters.' If one keeps moving about on the high seas, one might just make oneself sufficiently hard to find.

-Q

I meant I do not view it as likely that success will be achieved in our lifetime. Because they do control the educational system. But I really don't remeber saying that we ought not try. In fact, I explicitly pointed out that the ARI Book project was an excellent step in wresting control away from the commies that run the education in this country. There is no contradiction in pointing out the extremely large obstacles in the path of philosophical change and making effort towards it. Something being difficult does not mean that it ought not be done.

That being said, I wouldn't hold it against anyone to do as you suggest with the yacht. In most cases I would consider it wise. No one has an obligation to save the world from itself.

I meant I do not view it as likely that success will be achieved in our lifetime. Because they do control the educational system. But I really don't remeber saying that we ought not try. In fact, I explicitly pointed out that the ARI Book project was an excellent step in wresting control away from the commies that run the education in this country. There is no contradiction in pointing out the extremely large obstacles in the path of philosophical change and making effort towards it. Something being difficult does not mean that it ought not be done.

That being said, I wouldn't hold it against anyone to do as you suggest with the yacht. In most cases I would consider it wise. No one has an obligation to save the world from itself.

There is a guy on BroadbandReports who posts in their Liberal "Blue Room" alot who goes by the handle "TamaraB" which is the name of his trawler. He lives on it and plans to do just this.

More practical would be a large submarine, a la, Captain Nemo's "Nautilus". I can imagine that raising a family on a yacht would be confining over the years. Not to mention the ship would have to dock for repairs regularly. Sustainability would be very unlikely. And remaining out of sight from surveillance satellites and out of the crosshairs of government military ships would require some advanced stealth technology.

• 3 weeks later...

This site is very interesting. If the wealthy are leaving the US to escape rising taxes on the wealthy, then we may be seeing a version of "Atlas Shrugging" going on right now.

This article has facts, figures and links to specific US code to back it's statements.

Poor and middle class could be paying over 300% more in income taxes once the top wealth earners leave the US.

A fascinating read:

http://www.actionamerica.org/taxecon/tickfast.shtml

And here's a modern alternative to Galt's Gulch:
No it is not. To say it is, one would also have to say that Ted Kaczynski (a.k.a. "The Unabomber) in his little mountain-cabin was creating a little Galt's Gulch too. Indeed, he might have the better claim, having chosen mountains rather than sea. ;)

No it is not. To say it is, one would also have to say that Ted Kaczynski (a.k.a. "The Unabomber) in his little mountain-cabin was creating a little Galt's Gulch too. Indeed, he might have the better claim, having chosen mountains rather than sea. ;)

I don't understand your absurd comparison. What the Seastead project is attempting is a free society outside of the many tolatiarian nations' control and since there isn't anymore land available, the new fronteir is the ocean.

Looking at the "politics" sections on their site, it really doesn't talk about the political principles of such a place, what government principles will be in force, how people can be assured they will be, and so on. The site appears to be anti-govenment, but that's a non-essential. Since we're Objectivists, for the sake of this thread, we'll take it for granted that non-government is worse than most existing forms of government today. Therefore, any such community must focus, first and foremost, on what government they will have, rather than on what they won't have. In its essentials it's clear what they're running away from, but unclear what they're running away to. There's no assurance or expectation that what they're planning is going to anything better than what they already have.

It's a large site, so I could have missed the section where they address what type of political system they will follow, how they will fund their government, and so on. If so, a link would be appreciated. If they do not address these issues, then I don't see how they're substantially different from any commune that goes lives in the mountains somewhere away from society.

This project is something similar to the "Freedom Ship" project.

The only case that I know where people have actually gone ahead and tried something similar (as opposed to planning for it), is the case of "The Principality of Sealand".