Objectivism Online Forum

Hating Bush

Rate this topic

oldsalt

I would hope that by now most of you have read about the lecture the Olympic committee gave to our atheletes about being humble in victory. They were told not to grab the flag and run with it if they win. They were told to be humble as they receive their medals. They were told that we must be "sensitive" to the world's hatred of us. As Lileks wrote in an article today, we mustn't upset the Arab street, the French street, the German street, the Greek street, the Mexican street, or the Canadian Rue.

After lifting my head out of the toilet, a thought came to me about the upcoming election: Everyone in this country ought to vote for Bush for one reason -- to flip the bird to the rest of the world.

We are told on a daily basis how the world hates us. This hatred is now personified in a pathological hatred of President Bush. Let us all give the world our answer to their sensitivities. Let us give them a landslide election FOR Bush. Let us tell them that we don't give a fig for what they think.

I'm only half kidding here. Objectivists have valid reasons for hating Bush, as opposed to the emotional claptrap that rules the left's bloviation. But the consequences of voting against Bush will be exactly the same no matter what our reasons are. If Kerry wins, the terrorists will have been given a victory they couldn't have hoped for, and the world can pat us on the back for finally "growing up," as they dictate further policy to us.

So I say, give the world the bird, VOTE BUSH!

Everyone in this country ought to vote for Bush for one reason -- to flip the bird to the rest of the world.

As much as that thought amuses me, I don't think that's really a very good reason to vote for Bush.

And was it really necessary to start a new thread for this? As I've said to AutoJC about his Kerry-promoting threads, we already have a thread for debating about the presidential candidates and one is enough! Don't let it happen again.

Ash, sorry if I've broken some rule I wasn't aware of. I meant no offense. I meant it as a joke. If you're unhappy with the thread, by all means delete it. I've given my serious reasons for voting against Kerry elsewhere.

As much as that thought amuses me, I don't think that's really a very good reason to vote for Bush.

And was it really necessary to start a new thread for this?  As I've said to AutoJC about his Kerry-promoting threads, we already have a thread for debating about the presidential candidates and one is enough!  Don't let it happen again.

Who said I'm promoting Kerry?

I'm merely debating against the FUD that has been posted on this forum that attempts, and wrongly so, to cast Kerry as bad.

America should not heed the words of the hippie elitists who chair the International Olympic committee.

If Americans win an event they should proudly go about their victory celebrations like anyone else would.

The worst that could happen is that Team America gets disqualified from the Olympics for doing what any other nation would do in the thrill of victory.

That being the case, America should just give up on the Olympics, allowing this institution, hijacked by the elitist, multiculturalist hippies, to rot of its own leaden agenda. :nerd:

Who said I'm promoting Kerry?

I'm merely debating against the FUD that has been posted on this forum that attempts, and wrongly so, to cast Kerry as bad.

Heh. :P

All right, you're going to have to tell me what FUD means. I'm afraid I'm not hip to that particular piece of liberal lingo.

That being the case, America should just give up on the Olympics, allowing this institution, hijacked by the elitist, multiculturalist hippies, to rot of its own leaden agenda.

Maybe they could give gold medals to everyone, so every country will be a winner!

Exception: Israel, Britain, Australia, Japan, and any other country that supports the U.S. do not get any medals.

FUD is what the media excels at.

FUD is what you'll hear in large doses during this election campaign.

Some examples of FUD:

First, from the Kerry Camp:

George Bush has done almost nothing to get soaring gas prices under control. Watch our new ad for a look at Bush's unusally close ties to some of America's biggest oil companies.
Right from his head page!

In my first 100 days as President, I will revoke every Bush executive order that favors polluters and the special interests. My first major bill to Congress will be national health care reform, taking on the insurance industry to hold down costs and cover all Americans. I will repeal Bush’s tax cuts for the wealthy so we can invest in education and health care. I will take on the oil industry and make energy independence a national priority while creating 500,000 new jobs. I will attack corporate corruption and end the special interest feeding frenzy in Washington. And in my first 100 days, I will declare an end to the Bush policy of unilateralism and pre-emptive war.

Bring it on, Mr. Ketchup! :lol:

Now, the Bush camp:

John Kerry Is Out Of Touch With Mainstream Values

While Senator Kerry Has Skipped 78 Percent Of His Senate Votes This Year, He Made A Point Of Coming Back To Vote Against The Unborn Victims Of Violence Act.

Kerry Has Voted At Least Six Times Against Banning Partial-Birth Abortion.

Kerry Says, "There Is No Such Thing As A Partial Birth." (Glen Johnson, "Kerry Hits Ban On Abortion Procedure," The Boston Globe, 11/6/03)

Yup. Kerry is a baby-killer! :rolleyes:Read that Here

Kerry Attacks And Seeks To Replace The Patriot Act

Kerry Wants To Replace The Patriot Act. "So it is time to end the era of John Ashcroft. That starts with replacing the Patriot Act with a new law that protects our people and our liberties at the same time." (Remarks By Senator John Kerry, Iowa State University, http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/speeche..._2003_1201.html, Accessed 3/11/04)

Kerry Says "We Are A Nation Of Laws And Liberties, Not Of A Knock In The Night." (Patrick Healy, "Kerry Pledges To End 'Era Of Ashcroft,'" The Boston Globe, 12/2/03)

Kerry Attacks Patriot Act As Creating "Blind Spot In The American Justice System." SEN. JOHN KERRY: "If you are sensitive to and care about civil liberties, you can make provisions to guarantee that there is not this blind spot in the American justice system that there is today under the Patriot Act." (NPR's "Morning Edition," 8/18/03)

:dough:

This should be a very interesting campaign.

I'm reminded of a lyric from one of those old Buffalo Springfield tunes:

"Nobody's right if everybody's wrong."

:dough:

[edit] Merged this post into this topic. Please do not create new topics unnecessarily, when you could have answered my question within this topic. [/edit]

Edited by AshRyan

Aaargh! When I merged AutoJC's previous post into this topic, it renamed this topic with the title of the topic that AutoJC's post had been in. Oops! Oldsalt, if you (or anyone else) can remind me what this thread's original title was, I will be more than happy to change it back.

Sorry for my inept moderating!

Aaargh!  When I merged AutoJC's previous post into this topic, it renamed this topic with the title of the topic that AutoJC's post had been in.  Oops!  Oldsalt, if you (or anyone else) can remind me what this thread's original title was, I will be more than happy to change it back.

Sorry for my inept moderating!

;):)

So now that we have been derailed and thrown off course in subject matter here, I'd just like to try to address Old Salt's post regarding Bush-hating and the Olympics:

HOW ABOUT A POLITICALLY CORRECT OLYMPICS?

PCOlylmpics-X.gif

:)

So now that we have been derailed and thrown off course in subject matter here...

Oh, come off it. The thread has been "derailed" because I accidentally changed the title? I offered a simple solution, that I could easily change it back if someone reminded me of the thread's original name, but apparently it wasn't that big of a deal (nor was anyone in the middle of a focused discussion that I interrupted) since no one replied to this thread for several days. I would apologize again, but I think once was enough--and you were the cause of the problem to begin with, since you made your FUD post in a separate thread for no good reason.

Ash, I just came back here because I saw my name next to that piece of stupidity in the title. My original title was "Hating Bush" (I think). When I didn't see the title, I thought you had mercifully killed the thread, as I had asked.

I had meant my suggestion to vote for Bush as a bird to the rest of the world to be humorous. I realized how badly I had failed when you told me that it wasn't a good reason to vote for Bush. (I've been voting since 1968 and understand such things by now, by the way.) Now I see that it has degenerated even further.

Please put it out of my misery. At the very least, change the title. I don't want my name next to something explaining FUD! I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner, but I didn't care to read AutoJC's thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this has taken me so long to do. I have been in Pittsburgh for the last couple of weeks, and due to a problem with my network login at the university have not had access to the internet until the last couple of days. I just barely read your last post for the first time.

I will of course restore the original title. I don't think it's really necessary to delete the whole thread. It's not a big deal. I'm sorry if I killed your joke with my first response--I did realize that it was meant humorously (which is why I said that "the thought amuses me"), but I guess I thought there was some element of seriousness to it and that is what I mainly chose to respond to. Anyway, I think your original post as well as other material in this thread should stay up. I hope that it's not really a source of misery for you now! I would hate for my amateurish attempts at moderating to make this board a negative experience for you.

Again, I apologize for all of the problems I have created with this thread, and hope that we can put it behind us now.

fud

\Fud\, n. [Of uncertain origin.] 1. The tail of a hare, coney, etc. [Prov. Eng. & Scot.] --Burns.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

fud

/fuhd/ n. Defined by Gene Amdahl after he left IBM tofound his own company: "FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt thatIBM sales people instill in the minds of potential customers whomight be considering [Amdahl] products." The idea, of course, wasto persuade them to go with safe IBM gear rather than withcompetitors' equipment. This implicit coercion was traditionallyaccomplished by promising that Good Things would happen to peoplewho stuck with IBM, but Dark Shadows loomed over the future ofcompetitors' equipment or software. See IBM. After 1990 the termFUD was associated increasingly frequently with Microsoft, and hasbecome generalized to refer to any kind of disinformation used as acompetitive weapon.

Source: Jargon file 4.2.0

p.s-> AutoJC you know its better to define terms than giving ideas about them. ;)