Objectivism Online Forum

Endangered Species Sighting!

Rate this topic

By Gus Van Horn from Gus Van Horn,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Yes. Politicians with spines do exist!

Via HBL, Matt Drudge posts the entirety of Harvard Professor Lubos Motl's translation of excerpts from an interview with Czech President Vaclav Klaus that pertain to global warming hysteria. Here's a sample.

Q: On Wednesday, the European Commission has approved carbon dioxide caps for new cars. One week earlier, the U.N. IPCC climate panel released a report that has described, once again, the global warming as one of the major threats for the whole civilization. The Stern report about similar threats was published before that. And you suddenly say that the global warming is a myth. Try to explain, how did you get this idea, Mr President?

A: It's not my idea. Global warming is a myth and I think that every serious person and scientist says so. It is not fair to refer to the U.N. panel. IPCC is not a scientific institution: it's a political body, a sort of non-government organization of green flavor. It's neither a forum of neutral scientists nor a balanced group of scientists. These people are politicized scientists who arrive there with a one-sided opinion and a one-sided assignment. Also, it's an undignified slapstick that people don't wait for the full report in May 2007 but instead respond, in such a serious way, to the summary for policymakers where all the "but's" and "if's" are scratched, removed, and replaced by oversimplified theses.

This is clearly such an incredible failure of so many people, from journalists to politicians... If the European Commission is instantly going to buy such a trick, we have another very good reason to think that the countries themselves, not the Commission, should be deciding about similar issues. [my bold]

This is nothing. Klaus also discusses how an intelligent layman ought to think about global warming and questions Al Gore's sanity.

Need I tell you to read it all? Better yet, he is writing a book on the subject!

[T]his topic troubles me which is why I started to write an article about it last Christmas. The article grew in size and it became a book. In a couple of months, it will be published. One chapter out of seven will organize my opinions about the climate change.

Environmentalism and green ideology is something very different from climate science. Various findings and screams of scientists are abused by this ideology.

As soon as I get wind of a title, I will be sure to spread the word.

And speaking of books on the science of climate change, I have added links to a scientific report and a book on the theory of climate change I blogged about yesterday. Follow the link and scroll down.

-- CAV

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/blog/archives/002269.html

I'm moving to the Czech republic, who's with me?

I strongly reccomend reading the whole translation. In addition to trouncing GW ideas, he also directly supports individual rights. And he's not some small-fry politician, he's the pres!

I'm moving to the Czech republic, who's with me?

I'm so down!! I stayed there a couple of summers ago, my dads from there. Its amazing to see the progress made from when I first went there (2000ish), to now. There were so many run down shacks abandoned on the side of the road, whereas now there are hardly any of those. Plus you got the beautiful scenery. A taki, mluvim trocu ceske.