Objectivism Online Forum

How to eat right with little money

Rate this topic

For a person who doesnt have much money to spend on expenses, it can be tough to find enough healthy choices at the grocery store. It seems like the majority of foods that are of low cost are unhealthy choices, either with high sodium, fat, or sugar. For a physically active person, it can be even harder to buy enough of the right foods because these people require more calories. What is the best solution to managing your diet with little money?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a person who doesnt have much money to spend on expenses, it can be tough to find enough healthy choices at the grocery store. It seems like the majority of foods that are of low cost are unhealthy choices, either with high sodium, fat, or sugar. For a physically active person, it can be even harder to buy enough of the right foods because these people require more calories. What is the best solution to managing your diet with little money?

The most healthy and cheapest thing to do is to cook yourself. Vegetables and grains (rice, potatoes, pasta ect) are cheap, healthy and filling (a 10lb bag of rice is going to last a grown man for months). Find inexpensive produce grocer (may not be your big supermarket) and try to buy vegetables in season as much as possible. The meat portion of your meal should not be bigger than the size of the palm of your hand. Also, make things in bigger batches (more than one serving of things like spaghetti sauce) and store/freeze the left-overs (put a date on the container) that way you only have to do it few times a week.

A common fallacy is that a man on a budget cannot also be a well-fed, nutritious man on a budget.

The first step is identifying what it actually means to eat healthily. There are countless resources concerning this, and I recommend reading up for yourself (be wary of trend health information. A good book I have found comes from Harvard's Medical School), not only because it would be impossible to cover what you need to know in this thread, but because you should not take this (sometimes disputed) information from authority; your health is too important. In the end you also need to take into account your specific body, where for example my body requires a lot more fruit and fats than most of the population. I rely a lot on what I'm hungry for, backed by my knowledge of nutrition.

Wal-Mart is your best friend, once you've figured out what you should be eating. And as Sophia noted, some of the healthiest foods are also some of the cheapest, if you are willing to put a trivial amount of extra effort into cooking for yourself; no frozen dinners for you (well, maybe sometimes)!

If you know what you're after and know how to read a nutrition label, there is nothing standing in your way to a healthy diet.

In my area, New Jersey, Asian (Chinese) Supermarkets have much less expensive produce and meats than regular grocery stores. Costco also typically has very good deals on large supplies of meats/fish. Learning to cook from raw materials yourself can save a lot of money, but if you are doing it solo, it can get boring and tiresome. It also requires more up-front investment (equipment, education, technique, time). Pre-processed foods typically load up on inexpensive starches.

I recommend Rob Faigin's Natural Hormonal Enhancement for several reasons: First, if you are trying to eat healthy, you are going to be lost with the common wisdom in terms of fats, carbohydrates, sugars, etc. The whole "fat makes you fat" paradigm is thoroughly and expertly gutted in his book. It is supplanted with a much more integrated understanding of how different foods effect your hormones, which effect your energy levels and how you store foods (ie, fat burner vs. sugar burner).

Unfortunately, I think the fact that processed foods, starches, etc. are cheap and abundant goes a long way towards explaining why obesity is such an issue in the US and other industrialized nations. It is much harder to make a profit selling perishable foods like fresh vegetables, fresh meats, seafood, etc., but if you understand the benefits of the fiber, proteins, omega-3s, etc. that only such foods can provide, along with the understanding of how protein and fat (yes fat) are much better sources of energy than carbs and sugar (though this book recommends a periodic carb load to replenish glycogen stores), you can see that it's a no-brainer.

I think you'll spend a tad more on food than, say, your average Ramen Noodle warrior would if you focus on fresh, unprocessed foods, but you'll have way more energy and be much healthier than someone whose insulin levels are constantly skyrocketing and crashing because his body can't use the nutrients efficiently.

I second what Sophia mentioned about cooking at home. I live in NYC and save easily hundreds of dollars a month, not to mention eating much healthier, by cooking at home. When I do go out to eat nowadays, it is truly a treat and I don't have to worry about whether I can afford a glass of wine, nor do I worry about all the bad stuff restaurants put in their food to make it taste good, since what really matters is what you eat day-to-day.

The suggestion of making large quantities and freezing for later is also a good one. I have a simple shredded chicken and black bean chili that I make about six quarts of at a time, which can easily be stretched to twelve meals. The only issue is remembering to take it out of the freezer to let it thaw.

If you need some recipes, let me know, I have lots of easy and healthy ones that I've adapted from my years as a grunt in restaurant kitchens.

Tuna and eggs are pretty cheap sources of protein. You can't beat milk (unless you're intolerant). I buy a lot of ground turkey as well.

Like everyone else says, cooking for yourself is incredibly helpful. I can pretty much eat the same thing 6x a day, but for those who won't, it's not hard to come up with a few recipes for turning cheap and wholesome food into a variety of dishes.

Protein powders/shakes are good for filling out the edges of your caloric needs.

/weightlifter
Haha, that's the same thing I was thinking.

Besides being poor, I was always in a hurry in college, so I rarely cooked anything that required more than five-ten minutes to make. I didn't have a car, so I had to get supplies for two weeks at a time.

Things I made (You can Google recipes for these):

Spaghetti (this was my staple, but unhealthy unless you burn off all those carbs)

Tofu stir-fry (you can add chicken or eggs)

Beef brisket (marinated overnight and cooked in beer for 6-8 hours - cooked on the weekend and ate for up to two weeks)

Couscous and sardines/steamed vegetables

Croque-madame (minus the ham)

These days, my staple is fish and steamed vegetables, which generally takes just 10 minutes to prepare (but must be defrosted a day in advance) and is very healthy.

By the way, I think that frozen food gets a bad rap. Frozen vegetables and fish are cheaper than the fresh version, last longer, and are just as (or nearly as) nutritious.

I highly recommend "The Bean Book" by Rose Elliot. I am far from vegetarian, but living on a boat sometimes very far from 'civilization', one cannot always have (a) refrigeration, (:) ready access to every convenient facet of 1st-world foodstuffs, and © getting what you want may not even be possible even if you can afford it a thousand times over. So I know a good deal about keeping healthy on minimal stuff :) Beans and grains provide one with 99% of what you need, the rest can be supplemented with vitamins and occasional fish and seaweed.

You hit it on the money, most low costs foods are sugar and sodium laden. High fiber foods tend to add bulk and create a fuller feeling. I often cook a few meals once a week and re heat so that I can save time and money. Try making chili with beans and veggies like onions and peppers. Some brown rice. There are many whole grain pastas now with high amounts of protein which covers several nutritional needs. Making 2 quiche with a dozen eggs and some veg and cheese lasts all week and its good for breakfast and lunch. A big pot of soup lentil or pea are substantial enough for dinner with a good bread. A bag of apples or oranges are usually affordable. Seasonal foods are generally cheaper.

Places like costco are ideal for good prices and bulk purchase. If you don't know how to cook, maybe you can barter with someone who does, for an activity they need help with. Buon Appetit

Beef brisket (marinated overnight and cooked in beer for 6-8 hours - cooked on the weekend and ate for up to two weeks)

Is it a family secret or would you be willing to share the recipe. I make a decent brisket on the grill but have not had much luck with ovens. (and grilling in the snow sucks) So if you have a recipe or even general directions for it, I'd love to guve it a try.

Is it a family secret or would you be willing to share the recipe. I make a decent brisket on the grill but have not had much luck with ovens. (and grilling in the snow sucks) So if you have a recipe or even general directions for it, I'd love to guve it a try.

I just looked up the recipe online and experimented. Here's basically what I did, though you will find similar stuff on Google. I got brisket rub at the store to simplify the dressing and usually marinated it for 6-12 hours.

I just looked up the recipe online and experimented. Here's basically what I did, though you will find similar stuff on Google. I got brisket rub at the store to simplify the dressing and usually marinated it for 6-12 hours.

Ok, thanks GC. I have tried a couple recipes but nothing I have liked so far. I'll give it a shot.

There have been some good ideas on here. Personally, I like the idea of cooking large quantities of pasta and mashed potatoes, and storing the rest in the fridge. The pasta I got was $1.00 and has 16 servings, and it has plenty of calories with no fat or sodium. I bought a pre-packaged mashed potatoes mix because its so much easier to make than real potatoes and it's probably even cheaper, too. It costed $3.50 for 43 servings, with no fat or sodium. I also stacked up on yogurt, which is pretty cheap and healthy as well. Tuna was a good idea, and I ended up buying a few cans of that. A package of burritos, too. Milk and orange juice(for my vitamin C) is very important to me, even though the cheapest gallon of orange juice out there is $3.50.

But overall, the total cost was very reasonable for me and yet I now have a lot of healthy foods to choose from at home. I love Walmart and the Great Value brand they stock there.

I would not suggest making pasta or potatoes staples unless you are very athletic. They have high calorie/carb content and provide no essential nutrients. You should not be worrying about sodium intake unless you or your family has a history of high blood pressure.

I would not suggest making pasta or potatoes staples unless you are very athletic. They have high calorie/carb content and provide no essential nutrients.

Yeah, I agree with most of what you said there. If you dont need a high amount of calories to suit your daily needs, then pasta and potatoes wont be a good long-lasting choice. They cause high insulin spikes and slow your metabolism. But I think your mistake is saying these two foods have no essential nutrients. They have high calories(calories are essential nutrients) and they have high carbs(which are especially important for athletes). Maybe you mean they dont have many vitamins and minerals. I cant agree with that either though, because as far as most foods go, potatoes do have a lot of vitamins/minerals and a lot of pasta has some too. But it doesnt matter too much either way if you already take a multi-vitamin tablet.

You should not be worrying about sodium intake unless you or your family has a history of high blood pressure.

But even if you or your family doesnt have a history of high blood pressure, I think consuming large amounts of sodium can still raise it, cant it? My family and I actually do have a history of high blood pressure, which is exactly why I am careful with sodium.

Edited by BaseballGenius

But even if you or your family doesnt have a history of high blood pressure, I think consuming large amounts of sodium can still raise it, cant it? My family and I actually do have a history of high blood pressure, which is exactly why I am careful with sodium.

My understanding is that salt does not cause or raise high blood pressure, but rather that if you have high blood pressure, reducing your salt intake will lower it. So no effect if your blood pressure is normal. Assuming here that you can measure your daily salt intake in grams and not Kg's.

With a full time (mostly overtime) job and part time college classes I have very little time to cook. Generally I wake-up just in time to get a quick shower than rush out the door. My first meal is usually lunch. When I get home around 7-10 PM I'm too exhausted to cook. As a result I've been eating very unhealthy lately.

I'm going to take the advice of earlier posts, that is, cook large amounts and store. Tomorrow I'm going to cook up a large batch of chicken curry! Yum! Pasta is good solution too. Al Dente!

My understanding is that salt does not cause or raise high blood pressure, but rather that if you have high blood pressure, reducing your salt intake will lower it. So no effect if your blood pressure is normal. Assuming here that you can measure your daily salt intake in grams and not Kg's.

As far as salt goes, I'm no expert, but I remember hearing that it is iodized (processes) salt that is bad for you. Natural sea salt is good for you and has all the correct nutritional stuff.

If you're on a budget, I hope you are using good sealing, reusable containers to freeze stuff. It's cheaper than zip bags, even if you try to reuse them.

...... I have a simple shredded chicken and black bean chili that I make about six quarts of at a time, which can easily be stretched to twelve meals. ......If you need some recipes, let me know,....

(underline and break up of wording mine)

Are you willing to share it with others? I'm happy to share one with you if I have one you have been looking for, though I admit I'm not a Chef or anything. :)

Edited post due to some kind of glitch with the quotes and posting

Edited by kuuipo

I just found a very interesting long-term study on the effect low salt diets had on people. The results showed that people on low salt diets actually were more likely to have cardiovascular problems with their heart than people who ate higher levels of salt. Those results caught me by surprise, mainly because most articles I've read from "experts" seem to say that high levels of salt raise blood pressure and is therefore bad for the heart.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:_3G8mx...;cd=9&gl=us