Objectivism Online Forum

List your all-time favorite games

Rate this topic

The Wrath

Since I've got a 3-day weekend, I've been on a bit of a video game binge.

1.) Final Fantasy 6

2.) Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

3.) Super Metroid

4.) Chrono Trigger

5.) Zelda: A Link to the Past

6.) Final Fantasy 7

7.) Age of Empires/Mythology series...hard to pick just one

8.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

9.) Metal Gear Solid 3

10.) Secret of Mana

I'm envious of your blitz!

My favorites (though the value usually decreases with each revisit. Worst case so far: Street Fighter II):

1) Soul Calibur (on the Dreamcast. Holy wow! What a game; still the best)

2) Halo 1 and 2 (different reasons, equally fun)

3) Mario 64

4) Goldeneye

5) Mario Kart 64

6) Super Smash Bros. (first and second)

7) Perfect Dark (first)

8) Street Fighter II

9) Tetris (I will absolutely destroy anyone at this game)

10) Grand Theft Auto III

I've never been much of a Zelda fan, though I recognize the superior quality of the games. It's difficult to make a list like this, since new games are continually increasing in value many times over. The current nextgen is ridiculous! I remember a time when a 3D Mario absolutely blew my mind, and I wondered if Nintendo Power was lying to me for the first time.

Notable mention, though I haven't had a chance to play it much: Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2

5) Mario Kart 64

Forgot about this one...definitely deserves a spot in my top 11.

9) Tetris (I will absolutely destroy anyone at this game)
I once got to level 52 on Tetris...beat that. :lol:

It's difficult to make a list like this, since new games are continually increasing in value many times over.

I've actually found the opposite. There are a few good series (Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc.) that would not have been fun in the 2D era, but that are ridiculously fun to play in 3D. In general, however, I am not a fan of the transition to 3D. Note that I listed the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid, rather than any of the 3D Castlevanias or Metroid Prime. Still good games, but I much prefer the 2D. Of course, graphics and music are constantly improving, and these are a nice bonus. But there are tons of old school games with pixelated graphics and tinny music that I'd rather play than any of these new souped-up games.

I'm also starting to find that I am more attracted to PC games, than I am to console games. I recently started playing Metroid Prime 2 for the first time, and I find it difficult to sit down long enough to get very far in a single sitting. But give me a game like Diablo II or AoE, and I'll be occupied for hours. Of course, this will all change when I save my money to buy a Wii and the new Zelda.

1-Final Fantasy VI

2-Final Fantasy VII

3-Metal Gear Solid 3

4-Xenogears

5-Baldur's Gate II

6-Neverwinter Nights

7-Resident Evil 4

8-Chrono Trigger

9-Final Fantasy Tactics

10-Metal Gear Solid

I like your taste. Four of our games are exactly the same, and we have the same one listed as #1. I never actually played Xenogears or FF Tactics, but I know that they are supposedly some of the best Squaresoft games ever made. I also haven't played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, but I'm sure I would like them, considering what a Diablo fiend I used to be.

Also have not played RE4, but I'm a fan of the series. After I finished Code Veronica, I kinda gave up on the series, since they're all the same thing...find a battery and kill zombies--plug it into a generator and kill zombies--get the clover-shaped key that falls off the generator--open the door with the clover on it and kill walking pirhana plant--get the shovel and kill giant worm--ad nauseum.

Of course, this will all change when I save my money to buy a Wii and the new Zelda.
No kidding; I can't wait to get one myself. I'm especially looking forward to a good fighter game on this console, though given Nintendo's history, it may not ever happen.

I've read a comment of yours elsewhere on the forum about 2D games, but I didn't mean to imply the phenomenon is exclusive to 2D; It happened with Mario 64 as well for me. I conflated the two, technological improvements and the switch to 3D, as the reason for game devaluing, which isn't always the case. Though it looks like we have a little different taste in video games, too. Most of the time I like playing games with other people that are high on action, though like I hinted there are exceptions. I really enjoyed Ocarina of Time (last Zelda I played), and I think I could enjoy others like it. I'm not a fan of RPGs, though (minus when I got caught up in the Pokemon hype for a couple months. "Zapdos used Thunderbolt attack!" I have younger brothers, what can I say?)

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty interested in the really old games you still like to play as much as newer games. For instance, a couple years ago I played through the entire original Mega Man games for the NES, and I have to say I was really underwhelmed. Bubble Bobble, crap. Donkey Kong Country, really boring (I was amazed with this game when it first came out for its "depth.") Even Uniracers (hella fun game), I can only play for maybe a day. Street Fighter II isn't even fun anymore because I can immediately observe when they programmed the computers to cheat against me on the hardest setting (ignoring my blocks, hitting me from too far away, tripling the damage, etc.) Some of the 64 games are still really fun, but I am not amused with even them for nearly as long as originally.

In no particular oder:

1. Hearts of Iron II

2. StarCraft

3. Civilization II (didn't like the presentation of III and have not yet played IV)

4. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire (equally superior to Civilization in many aspects)

5. Tropico

6. Homeworld 2

7. Sim City 2000 (I had issues with 3000 taking out the Acologies)

8. Myst, Riven, Myst III, and Myst IV (Myst V should never had happened)

Newer games definitely hold your attention for longer, because they take much longer to learn, not to mention complete. The original NES games are fun, but have little replay value for someone living in 2007. The SNES is, in my opinion, the best video game system ever made. Many of the games have a lot of replay value and have a minimal degree of repetitiveness. Super Metroid and Zelda come to mind, as do Squaresoft's games. Although, if you don't like RPGs, I guess Squaresoft's games won't do much for you. Donkey Kong Country is a great game, but definitely gets old after a while.

I think part of the reason I like the old games better is because the new ones take so long. I'm just not willing to invest the time needed to learn and complete the newer games. You can sit down and plan SNES for 20 minutes...try doing that with a PS3.

10. Final Fantasy 8 - most folk's least fav FF. But I was hooked from the beautiful opening. I dig the storyline and the quirky battle system. Sue me.

9. Number Munchers - Stop acting like you didn't play this in elementary school.

8. Metal Gear Solid - If you haven't played this, I probably can't make you understand how good this is.

7. Age of Empires II - I haven't played a lot of RTSes, but this one was a mainstay for me in college.

6. Final Fantasy Tactics - Byzantine storyline, sweet character classes, the Thunder God? About $20 these days. Saving right before fighting Wiegraf? Priceless.

5. Goldeneye - Nothing like a speed run through this game. This game was the reason I bought a N64. Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess...

4. Devil May Cry 3 - Hard. Core. God of War has nothing on this beast of a game.

3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - In the immortal words of OG Loc, I'm gangsta. And I'm still thinking of insane stuff to try in this game.

2. Virtua Fighter 4 - The excellence of execution. VF5 comes out Tuesday, and school is back in session. I may have to spring for that PS3...

1. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - This is the funniest game ever, dood. If I could only play one existing game for the rest of my life, this'd be it.

Edit: Put Disgaea's official title.

Edited by hunterrose

You meant favorite video games?

Not a huge gamer, but ...

Mario Games

Mariokart

FIFA Soccer, which is odd because I generally don't like sports games or soccer

Final Fantasy, especially tactics

Ultima Online (Siege Perilous)

Civilization IV

... I'd probably enjoy similar games if I played them, both Sid Meier titles

... and games of a similar TYPE i.e. rome total war, rise of nations, etc

1) Zelda, all of 'em

1) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

2) Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan!

3) Doom II

4) Sonic Rush

5) Sonic The Hedgehog 2

6) World of Warcraft

7) Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

8) Sonic Riders

9) Prince of Persia Trilogy

10)Phantasy Star Universe (Mainly for the online mode)

One game that I am really looking forward is Sonic and the Secret Rings for the Wii. I also want Twilight Princess, but for me, Sonic comes before Zelda :lol:

What a great topic

1. Everquest (for anyone interested, 56 Ranger with epic and about 110K worth of equipment when I left)

2. Everquest II (32 Ranger when left)

------by the way, no game even comes close to Everquest. There should be a separate list for 3-10

3. Starcraft

4. Final Fantasy VII

5. Quake 3

6. Warcraft 3

7. Metal Gear Solid

8. Goldeneye

9. Counter-strike

10. Quake 2

don't play PC games anymore, but these are the best I've ever gotten into. But I'm trying really hard to get FF7 on my mac for study breaks, but so far unsuccessful.

1. Kings Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

2. Tribes (the first one)

3. Metal Gear Solid (all of them)

4. Natural Selection

5. Day of Defeat: Source

6. Day of Defeat

7. Age of Empires II

8. Medal of Honor (PS1)

9. Star Wars Galaxies (Pre NGE)

10. Counter-Strike

11. Counter-Strike: Source

12. Half-Life 2

13. Red Orchestra

Since I've got a 3-day weekend, I've been on a bit of a video game binge.

1.) Final Fantasy 6

2.) Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

3.) Super Metroid

4.) Chrono Trigger

5.) Zelda: A Link to the Past

6.) Final Fantasy 7

7.) Age of Empires/Mythology series...hard to pick just one

8.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

9.) Metal Gear Solid 3

10.) Secret of Mana

I like

1. Scrabble

2. Mille Borne

3. Monopoly

4. Name That Tune

5. Hide and Seek (especially at night)

Edited by Alessa36

When playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night lately, I noticed something a little odd.

There is a rather gruesome looking enemy named Malachi. Here is a picture.malachi.gif

Note the Jewish name. Note the fact that he looks strikingly similar to Cthulhu. Note that he has 666 hitpoints.

Not all the big of a deal. But, when fighting him, you notice that his special attack consists of summoning up a Star of David with a skull in the center. I'm thinking the Japanese might have inherited a bit of anti-Semitism from their former allies.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Zelda: A Link to the Past

2) Final Fantasy 7

3) Metal Gear Solid

4) Super Mario 64

5) Doom 2

6) Soul Caliber

7) NFL 2k

8) Goldeneye 007

9) Streetfighter 2 Turbo

10) Metroid

There are so many! It's hard to break down best games of all time, it would be easier to do it by genre. It's difficult to make a really fun sports game, for instance.

--Dan Edge

• 2 weeks later...

1. Chrono Cross

2. Final Fantasy 9

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

4. Xenosaga(yes, I know it's a trilogy, but I love them all and have to count it as one :P)

5. Secret of Mana

6. Terranigma

7. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

8. Super Mario 3

9. Super Mario RPG

10. Star Ocean: The Second Story

Personally I've always preferred competitive games. These are the games where I've spent countless hours honing my skills:

1) StarCraft

2) CounterStrike

3) Super Smash Brothers Melee

4) WarCraft III

5) Tekken Series

As far as single player games go, I liked:

1) Tetris

2) Simcity 2000

3) Civilization III

4) Doom II

5) Diablo II