Objectivism Online Forum

James Cameron making anti-Christian documentary

Rate this topic

The Wrath

http://time-blog.com/middle_east/

It'll be good to have a big name director doing something. I don't know if "anti-Christian" is the right word, but it'll still piss off the Christians, since its premise is that Jesus wasn't resurrected and had a son with Mary Magdalene. At the very least, this could only be accepted by a very liberal interpretation of Christianity. This is supposedly based on a tomb that was found by archaeologists 27 years ago, with coffins bearing the names of Jesus' family. If anyone knows anything about this, feel free to clarify, because I'd never heard of it before now.

It also mentions DNA testing...I'm not sure how you go about proving someone's identity through DNA, when they died 2000 years ago.

Edited by Moose

We'll have to see their "proof" before determining whether they really have found Jesus' coffin or not...but regardless, the documentary is sure to excite many and infuriate others.

Can't wait till they start sharing more information on Discovery Channel and such.

There was a movie called The Body with Antonio Banderas where the premise was that some archaeologists found the remains of Jesus Christ. Needless to say, this drew swift and often violent responses from religious figures in Judaism, Islam and Christianity as well as from politicians. The film was good.

Saw that in another board, to be honest the whole Jesus was a myth or Jesus married Magdalene thing is too cliche. It has been going on for several years in books and now into movies.

I think that a much more effective thing would be to make a movie in which the real Christian teaching and logic is expressed. A "loving" God showing no evidence of himself, torturing for eternity in hell those who do not believe in him, bringing the apocalypse to destroy 90% of mankind along with the earth, that women have no right to speak in places of authority, that they should be subject to their husbands, etc.

Most Christians do not know their own religion. That would do more to scare people off than just claiming Jesus never existed or some similar thing.

Evo

Edited by Evoken

I think that a much more effective thing would be to make a movie in which the real Christian teaching and logic is expressed. A "loving" God showing no evidence of himself, torturing for eternity in hell those who do not believe in him, bringing the apocalypse to destroy 90% of mankind along with the earth, that women have no right to speak in places of authority, that they should be subject to their husbands, etc.

Most Christians do not know their own religion. That would do more to scare people off than just claiming Jesus never existed or some similar thing.

Evo

I like this idea, and I nominate MisterSwig as producer, director or writer. When he tells Bible stories, religion takes on a whole new meaning to me. :) What do you think, MisterSwig?

It seems to me that proving Jesus existed at all would be a major vindication of Christianity. Obviously such evidence would not be enough to prove the religion true, but important just the same. As of right now, there is essentially no evidence that such a person existed.

Saw that in another board, to be honest the whole Jesus was a myth or Jesus married Magdalene thing is too cliche. It has been going on for several years in books and now into movies.

Evo

I generally agree, but, all the same, it'll be fun to watch the Christians squirm.

It seems to me that proving Jesus existed at all would be a major vindication of Christianity. Obviously such evidence would not be enough to prove the religion true, but important just the same. As of right now, there is essentially no evidence that such a person existed.

I'll grant that there is no proof that he existed, but I think it at least counts as evidence that, real or unreal, he was easily the most influential person in world history.

Edited by Moose

I think that a much more effective thing would be to make a movie in which the real Christian teaching and logic is expressed.

I agree with that sentiment. All this debating about whether Jesus existed is beside the point. The problem is, saying that Christianity actually teaches X, when today's Christians don't believe that it does, won't work: they'll just say that you're distorting their religion and attacking a straw man.

Here's my approach: Christianity and Judaism and Islam all agree that it is necessary and proper to lie to people for their own good. It's the same principle as using force on people for their own good. So why wouldn't religious leaders lie, about Jesus or anything else, if they think it's the only way to keep morality and order in a society? They cannot conceive of the possibility of a morality that's actually based on reason. Religions were invented before such a thing could occur to anyone.

I wanted to write a story called "For Their Own Good" that goes like this: Moses goes up on Mt. Sinai to pray and meditate, then he comes back down and he sees the Israelites making the Golden Calf and partying and everything. So he's horrified. He goes back up (without having been noticed by his people) to seek help from God, but of course there is no God. So he creates the Ten Commandments himself. He is torn between needing to govern his own people and feeling guilty about lying to them. But he decides to go with the lie: it's for their own good, he tells himself, and besides, maybe God is working through him after all, maybe he is the instrument that God is using to carve the Ten Commandments in the first place. So he makes up this story and believes, God must want him to make up this story and spread it, because otherwise his people will have no law; they'll descend into chaos.

Why couldn't that have been what happened? Why wouldn't that sort of thing happen over and over throughout history?

I'll grant that there is no proof that he existed, but I think it at least counts as evidence that, real or unreal, he was easily the most influential person in world history.

I'm not sure what evidence you are referring too. Regardless, I will agree that this fictional character has been enormously influential.

• 2 weeks later...
I like this idea, and I nominate MisterSwig as producer, director or writer. When he tells Bible stories, religion takes on a whole new meaning to me. :lol: What do you think, MisterSwig?

I just got around to reading this thread and saw this question addressed to me. If I were writing that documentary, the first thing I would do is point out that the biblical Jesus could never have existed, because no son of God would curse a fig tree for having no figs, when it wasn't the season for figs. (see Mark 11:12-14 and 11:20-21) No son of God could possibly be that idiotic.