Objectivism Online Forum

Clemson Summer Conference

Rate this topic

By Diana from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

This summer conference at Clemson promises to be an excellent opportunity for undergraduates to learn about Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and the moral foundations of capitalism from some of its most knowledgeable and engaging experts. (And, it's free!) So please forward this message to any undergraduates you think might be interested in applying.

2007 Summer Conference: Ayn Rand's
Atlas Shrugged
and the Moral Foundations of Capitalism

• What is the moral basis for the free market?

• How do individual rights function in a capitalist society?

• What does the history of capitalism teach us about its moral basis?

• How is Ayn Rand's view of capitalism unique?

The Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism is pleased to announce its first summer conference for college students. We invite you to join us for an exciting program of lectures, seminars, and discussions from June 1-5, 2007.

Students will participate in an intensive and exciting program exploring the moral foundations of capitalism and Ayn Rand's novel
Atlas Shrugged
. Students will attend lectures, participate in small-group seminar-style discussions, and question and answer sessions. Outside of class, students can relax and socialize on Clemson's campus. Evening activities will include an
Atlas Shrugged
casting party, a barbecue dinner, and a career advice discussion.

The Clemson Institute will be accepting twenty undergraduate students to participate in the summer program on full scholarships. All housing and meals will be provided on the campus of Clemson University. Attending students are eligible for up to $450 for travel. Reading materials will be provided.

Direct any questions about the conference or our programs to
[email protected]
. To apply to the Clemson Institute's Summer Conference, simply download and fill out
the application form
and return it by March 5, 2007 to
[email protected]
or via postal mail to:

Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism

Summer Conference

165 Sirrine Hall - Box 341310

Clemson, SC 29634-1310

The Clemson Institute has assembled a faculty of leading scholars and teachers who study the moral foundations of capitalism, specializing in fields ranging from history and literature to philosophy, political science, and economics. Our faculty join students for meals and interact with them outside of class for informal discussions and questions. The faculty will be:

• Andrew Bernstein, Ph.D., Visiting Professor, Marist College

• Yaron Brook, Ph.D., Executive Director, The Ayn Rand Institute

• Eric Daniels, Ph.D., Visiting Scholar, Clemson University

• Onkar Ghate, Ph.D., Senior Fellow, The Ayn Rand Institute

• C. Bradley Thompson, Ph.D., Executive Director, Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism, Clemson University

When I first heard about this conference, my immediate thought was "Wow, I wish I could sit in on that, as I'd really love to see those guys teach Atlas." Then, much to my surprise and delight, I was asked to serve as the graduate assistant for the conference. (Of course, I accepted eagerly!) Given the faculty, I expect the conference to be an excellent opportunity for students to expand and deepen their understanding of the moral foundations of capitalism.

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/blog/archives/002299.html