Objectivism Online Forum

I've got to see more Objectivists -- NorCal, SoCal, or China?

Rate this topic

Old Soul

I recently met up with Isaak Sky, another OO.net member, in the Palo Alto, CA area for lunch. It was really refreshing, and any of you that have spent time with a fellow Objectivist know it.

After having lunch with Isaak, I have had a really strong desire to meet as many of you as possible. So here's where I'll be over this upcoming year, and if any of you will also be around that area, I will do whatever possible to try to get in touch.

I go to school at Stanford in Palo Alto in the San Francisco Bay, so if you're anywhere in or will be anywhere in the bay (fremont, mountain view, berkeley, San Fran, oakland, San Jose, etc) it's easy to get together. I surf a lot in Santa Cruz, central california, if anyone lives there or around there.

Over spring break I'll be in San Diego -- my break is March 23rd - April 1st. I'll just be surfing and chillin, so getting together wouldn't be a prob (if you have a car). Oh and anyone in SD, know of any hotels near Mission bay for under $100/night?

This summer I'll be working as an intern at GE Healthcare in Beijing, China. I'll be there from late June to middle September, and even though I have yet to see anyone of asian decent on the forums, if anyone shows up this summer or (possibly) lives out there, I would love to get together.

And if anyone here has spent time in China, northern or southern, are there any traces of Objectivism anywhere? I remember seeing one sign online whose picture looked very objective-esc, and was in Chinese. Oh, and this is sort of a sub-category of the 9 major topics I'm waiting to post. They're coming, just been busy recently.

Is there an Objectivist club at Standford or in the nearby area, Rob? Just curious. :)

If not, perhaps you could start one of your own, if you have the time for it. For all you know, fellow Objectivists could be lurking in the shadows...just waiting for a chance to reveal themselves and get together for good times.

Perhaps we could meet during breaks, as I live in San Diego (though that's quite far away from Palo Alto); since I go to school on the other side of the country (in Durham, NC) other times aren't possible.

I've spent six weeks in China (Beijing, Xian, Wuhan, Lhasa, Chengdu, Chonqing, Three Gorges area), and the only places I've even seen Ayn Rand's books were in Hong Kong, which is largely independent from China currently. I doubt you'd find many Objectivists in China.

Is there an Objectivist club at Standford or in the nearby area, Rob? Just curious. smile.gif

If not, perhaps you could start one of your own, if you have the time for it. For all you know, fellow Objectivists could be lurking in the shadows...just waiting for a chance to reveal themselves and get together for good times.

There isn't one, but there is a Facebook group of Stanford Objectivists. There are 5 of us, 1 graduating this year. I think there are more people in the "Ayn Rand ruins lives" facebook group. Interestingly enough, though, many people I have talked to have read Ayn Rand, but no one strong enough to live it. They argue with me but no one has presented any case worth discussing. I've really been thinking about starting a group and think I could really go somewhere with it, but I'm taking the max # of units every quarter this year, so don't have the time.

Perhaps we could meet during breaks, as I live in San Diego (though that's quite far away from Palo Alto); since I go to school on the other side of the country (in Durham, NC) other times aren't possible.

I've spent six weeks in China (Beijing, Xian, Wuhan, Lhasa, Chengdu, Chonqing, Three Gorges area), and the only places I've even seen Ayn Rand's books were in Hong Kong, which is largely independent from China currently. I doubt you'd find many Objectivists in China.

Yeah I spent the summer before my junior year in high school in Beijing. I was Zen Buddhist then and hadn't read any Ayn Rand yet (which immediately converted me from 1 extreme to another), so I wasn't really on the look out for objectivism anywhere...found a lot of Buddhism though, which may say something about the former.

Spring break sounds great -- we just booked the hotel and flight over the past week. March 23rd to April 1st I'll be 2 miles from Pacific Beach on Mission Bay Drive. Get back to me.

• 1 month later...