Objectivism Online Forum

lo-fi version of the site?

Rate this topic

Didn't there used to be a lo-fi version of Objectivism Online? I've been looking all over for it and can't find it. Sometimes I use my cell phone to get on the internet now, but it's way too slow to try to come to this site in its normal version.

Is there a way to tell from the lo-fi version which sub forums have new topics?
Whut? Lo-fi, with all the features of hi-fi? Well, I guess you've identified a potentially lucrative and exploitable market. Anyhow, I'm not a cell phone guy, but just a few days ago, I was talking to a guy from BFE and I was stunned an how he can send text messages to beyond the back of beyond, and half of his family has cell phones, though not much running water. So in principle, seems to me you ought to be able to come up with something along those lines.

Whut? Lo-fi, with all the features of hi-fi? Well, I guess you've identified a potentially lucrative and exploitable market. Anyhow, I'm not a cell phone guy, but just a few days ago, I was talking to a guy from BFE and I was stunned an how he can send text messages to beyond the back of beyond, and half of his family has cell phones, though not much running water. So in principle, seems to me you ought to be able to come up with something along those lines.

You see exactly where I am headed with this. I was not a cell phone guy until a few months ago, and now I have become dependant on my smart phone. However, I still can't get a good version of OO on cell phone.

I have books (thanks to Charlotte) and Blogs and the Wall Street Journal (thanks to SN) and even weather reports for my business (thanks to... well... me), but can't check OO easily yet.

SN Help!

You see exactly where I am headed with this. I was not a cell phone guy until a few months ago, and now I have become dependant on my smart phone. However, I still can't get a good version of OO on cell phone.
Like, the thing in the middle. You want fewer bits to represent more useful information, and also greater bandwidth so you can get more bits per second. IP/browser issues are probably nearly written in stone for a decade or so, bandwidth issues are the next least likely to change, so I'm guessing that you're looking for a low-level "more info, not a lot more cost" tweak in format. Yeah, that's an SN issue. Me no do code on this board. Send me a free cell phone, and maybe I can make some suggestions ;)

Like, the thing in the middle. You want fewer bits to represent more useful information, and also greater bandwidth so you can get more bits per second. IP/browser issues are probably nearly written in stone for a decade or so, bandwidth issues are the next least likely to change, so I'm guessing that you're looking for a low-level "more info, not a lot more cost" tweak in format. Yeah, that's an SN issue. Me no do code on this board. Send me a free cell phone, and maybe I can make some suggestions ;)

Zactly. Not only fewer bits, but smaller display capacity on the receiving end. I was not a big believer in RSS until I tried to get info on a cell phone. On a LAN connection, RSS is just "handy". On a cell phone, its essential. You can't operate without it because of the fact that it is an information compression tool. Browsing the web on a mobile stinks. You have to compress further.

Well, duh (I must be blind). Right there at the bottom of the page is a recent posts RSS button. SN will that link to the lo-fi or hi-fi version of the page? Can you make a feed for each?

Hey BS, not sure what sort of phone you have, but if it would be compatible with an RSS reader that might be the way to go. Will be faster than surfing even lo-fi version.

UPDATE: Just tried it and the RSS feed links to the hi-fi version of the site, but if you use a mobile compression tool such as mobileleap or google it renders something close to the lo-fi version.

Edited by KendallJ

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.