Objectivism Online Forum

The Milton Friedman Choir

Rate this topic

Based on the choir's performance alone, one might only get some vague hints that the aim was to slant Friedman's views negatively.

Wikipedia's article on the Canadian (go figure) documentary The Corporation, which apparently presents the choir performance in its special features section, states in summary:

One central theme of the documentary is an attempt to assess the "personality" of the corporate "person" by using diagnostic criteria from the DSM-IV; Robert Hare, a University of British Columbia Psychology Professor and FBI consultant, compares the modern, profit-driven corporation to that of a clinically diagnosed psychopath.

With that context, the poor quality of the performance and the melancholic drone of the music make more sense (although I still can't manage to think of the lyrics negatively).

Edited by JASKN

Well, the lyrics are poorly written in a poetic or grammatical sense, aside from evaluating their content. For example, words that would be grammatically useful in intelligent speech are left out. A skilled poet can avoid doing that.

Anyway, part of my judgment on the nature of the clip was based on the fact that I knew it came from the special features of the DVD of The Corporation, which my economic professor had us watch. That DVD is, literally, the most offensive trash I've ever seen in my life. It's a giant polemic against capitalism and corporations that doesn't contain a single valid argument and rests almost entirely on feelings the "documentarians" evoke through satire, plain making fun of people, and so forth. This kind of piece is typical of their work.

In context of the film, it is purely offensive in that it is both anti-freedom and expects you to adhere to its claims by abandoning your mind. Out of the context of the film, it could go either way, but it's just of very poor artistic quality.

• 7 years later...