Objectivism Online Forum

Things you fancy

Rate this topic

KendallJ

Coming off of some serious debate recently, and wanting to "wind down" a little, I thought I'd ask a little on that very topic.

Even productive people need to recharge, and relax. That kind of time also let's us indulge in things that we enjoy, but which may be somewhat arbitrary in terms of choice. Call them things you fancy, or hobbies or the like.

Just like choice of career is arbitrary, but the fact that you choose something that is in some way productive is not, what are some of your choices for liesure time? And are they related in any way to time when you are not relaxing?

Coming off of some serious debate recently, and wanting to "wind down" a little, I thought I'd ask a little on that very topic.

Even productive people need to recharge, and relax. That kind of time also let's us indulge in things that we enjoy, but which may be somewhat arbitrary in terms of choice. Call them things you fancy, or hobbies or the like.

Just like choice of career is arbitrary, but the fact that you choose something that is in some way productive is not, what are some of your choices for liesure time? And are they related in any way to time when you are not relaxing?

My hobbies are very much related to what I study/work at. In my leisure time, I engage mianly i (not necc. in descending order):

Programming

Mathematics

Music

TV ( a few select shows)

Reading

Power-walking

Writing

Table-top RPGS (well Id LIKE to get back into this)

With work and school I have little time to do what I want, but heres a list, in order of preference:

Hike

Read

Watch House :smartass:

Do rubiks cubes (I havent done it in ages, but I am proud of my talent, so I am broadcasting it...)

With work and school I have little time to do what I want, but heres a list, in order of preference:

Hike

Read

Watch House :smartass:

Do rubiks cubes (I havent done it in ages, but I am proud of my talent, so I am broadcasting it...)

Do you mean House md the TV show? Because that is one of the few TV shows that I quite enjoy....

My biggest hobby is basketball, and since I'm not in the pros, no it doesn't relate to what I do for work. I also like hitting the gym, although less frequently after I graduated from college.

I also like playing games - particularly competitive games or gambling games that requires some skill. Computer games, card games, board games, mahjong, poker. Although generally I pick one game that I like and play it continuously for a while before switching.

I also draw a fair deal, and likes to hit up museums when I have the time and company.

The rest of my time is spent on media consumption. Books, movies, TV, and of course the internet.

Yep, I just bought the season two dvd this weekend.

Oh yes, I have seen them both on DVD, and recently got Season Two ( I had One, but gave it to someone). I am a little disappointed with Season Three so far, as I dont think a lot of this Trigger storyline is going to work out as it SHOULD..

I enjoy a variety of things, but of late these two occupy most of my recreational time;

Motorcylcing

World of Warcraft

The other day I put 320 miles on my bike touring a few back roads I hadn't been on before in VA and NC. Every minute of it was golden!

PS: Oh yea, and as of the day before yesterday I'm all caught up on House. :lol:

Edited by RationalBiker

Dance dance revolution (the video game), reading, this forum, ballroom dancing, drawing, writing, cooking, watching movies & hanging out with friends, jewelry making, teaching myself to play the piano, biking, boggle, sudoku, crossword puzzles... there are occasionally other things that take up my spare time too, but that's most of them.

House is definitely a good tv show, but I watch the Law & Order shows more often. (Except when my sister, the physical therapy student, is home... then we watch House constantly.)

As the profile says,

Philosophy, Bodybuilding, Guns, Fast Cars.

Ask me about any and I'll talk your ear off. In fact, I do blog my ponderings on all of the above. (except bodybuilding... I don't think I've anything profound to say on that, yet)

Other than that, I like watching TV, reading, and PC games. I guess I should update that or something.

My most enjoyable liesure time activites are:

Sailing -weekends

Ah, a sailor. That is addicting. I've sailed since I was 10. I used to crew on Lightning class boats in my younger days, and even dabbled in windsurfing. There is a zen to sailing for me. Hard to explain to a non-sailor. where do you sail?

Ah, a sailor. That is addicting. I've sailed since I was 10. I used to crew on Lightning class boats in my younger days, and even dabbled in windsurfing. There is a zen to sailing for me. Hard to explain to a non-sailor. where do you sail?

Hi KendallJ, could you recommend a good, trailer-able sailboat that can be sailed by one or two adults? I already windsurf, but you really need at least 20-25 knots of solid wind to have fun, so I'm looking for something to sail on the lighter wind days. I think the pleasure of sailing/windurfing/surfing comes from the satisfaction of harnessing the wind and waves to go fast. To explain it to a non-sailor, I'd say its like flying on the water.

I started at 17 on a Baltic Sea. These days mostly Georgia Strait coastal waters. In the summer, I sometimes race on Fridays - for fun - that is always exciting as seconds count.

I know what you mean about the 'zen' thing being hard to explain. You are very alert, active yet relaxed, peaceful - at equilibrium within yourself.

Hi KendallJ, could you recommend a good, trailer-able sailboat that can be sailed by one or two adults? I already windsurf, but you really need at least 20-25 knots of solid wind to have fun, so I'm looking for something to sail on the lighter wind days. I think the pleasure of sailing/windurfing/surfing comes from the satisfaction of harnessing the wind and waves to go fast. To explain it to a non-sailor, I'd say its like flying on the water.

You did not specify the size but you can check this website: PocketCruiserGuide

Well, I'm not an expert, but my first inclination would be to look to the one-design classes and see which ones are popular racing boats.

http://www.sailmiami.com/racing/one_design...s_directory.htm

There's a zillion to choose from, but most of these one-designs are proven designs and are popular because they are great "fundamentals" boats. I know of Solings, 210's and Snipes, and I've seen Etchels raced. I think the Etchel is a bit big for 2, but it has very pretty lines. Some of the newer "speed machines" would be something like the Melges class boats.

The class I sailed in was the Lightning class. A favorite of mine, and an extremely active class in my area (Michigan). Crewed by 3 in racing situations, but for day sailing can be crewed by 2 or even one. Boat is a little boxy, but great fundamentals, and it is one of the smaller boats that will carry a full spinnaker.

If you're looking for something more akin to windsurfing (fast, easy to single skipper) then maybe a Yflyer or a Laser.

Maybe look for some class associations in your area and get out and talk to hte skippers. They'll all be biased, but you get a chance to see what the boats are good for.

I know what you mean about the 'zen' thing being hard to explain. You are very alert, active yet relaxed, peaceful - at equilibrium within yourself.

To me the sailboat is a phenomel example of ingenuity and elegance, a two bladed foil, one designed for aerodynamic principles, and the the other for hydrodynamics. The craft literally "flies" through both the water and the air simultaneously and complimentarily. And it was perfected as a craft long before bernoulli ever came up with his dynamics equations.

As you say, it takes skill to pilot but once mastered is a wonderfully peaceful ride.

I currently fancy Wakeboarding, Snowboarding, Tennis, Selling lots of Cool Stuff, things that don't break, Subaru WRX's, reliable people, playing with my Son, Coffee, Red Bull, Warm Weather, The Internet, Good Sci-Fi,.........That's all I can think of right now.

I realized I actually forgot to list mine! :dough:

Business history - all kinds (industry history, businessmen biography, company history, etc...)

This guy. His name is Moxie.

Animal behavior and dog training. Specifcially Moxie and I compete in agility.

I run and cycle.

Love all kinds of music.

Collect Fountain pens, both modern and vintage, and do some of my own restoration. It's an esthetics thing. Pocket jewelry maybe.

Read a bunch.

Let my kid beat me at Halo every now and then.

Used to be big into sailing and windsurfing, but not much time anymore.

Also used to be into solo backpacking, but again somethings gotta go.

Edited by KendallJ

I realized I actually forgot to list mine! :P

Business history - all kinds (industry history, businessmen biography, company history, etc...)

This guy. His name is Moxie.

Animal behavior and dog training. Specifcially Moxie and I compete in agility.

I run and cycle.

Love all kinds of music.

Collect Fountain pens, both modern and vintage, and do some of my own restoration. It's an esthetics thing. Pocket jewelry maybe.

Read a bunch.

Let my kid beat me at Halo every now and then.

Used to be big into sailing and windsurfing, but not much time anymore.

Also used to be into solo backpacking, but again somethings gotta go.

I was not going to say anything about you not listing your own...but can I slap you on the forehead if you have not done so to yourslf already? :dough:

How many fountainpens do you reckon you have roughly? Are we talking a few smaller boxes or enough to build a small house?

How many fountainpens do you reckon you have roughly? Are we talking a few smaller boxes or enough to build a small house?

At last count around 60. That is quite a small collection in collecting circles. I know a few people by reputation whose count goes into the thousands. I'm a user though so I rotate them all into use at some point. Different one goes to work with me every day (and I have spares everywhere!). I am particular to Sheaffer Snorkels from the 50's and Parker Vacumatics from the 40's. Very art deco.

Dance dance revolution (the video game)

My kid has DDR, and I am a total clutz. I won't go near the pad now.

At last count around 60. That is quite a small collection in collecting circles. I know a few people by reputation whose count goes into the thousands. I'm a user though so I rotate them all into use at some point. Different one goes to work with me every day (and I have spares everywhere!). I am particular to Sheaffer Snorkels from the 50's and Parker Vacumatics from the 40's. Very art deco.

My kid has DDR, and I am a total clutz. I won't go near the pad now.

Yes, I would think in that circle it is a small collection.

Thanks for the links, those are some nice pens...it almost makes me want to take up the hobby too one day...if not they seem a pleasure to use.