Objectivism Online Forum

Iran to try Britons for espionage

Rate this topic

I am sure many of you are aware of the recent capture of 15 British sailors by Iran. If you are not, you can read about the story here. Basically, Iran claims that the soldiers were in their territory, while Britain claims they were in Iraqi waters. A similar situation happened in 2004, with British soldiers being held captive for 3 days before being released. In the previous case, no charges were made.

I didn't think much of this story until recently, when I heard about the planned espionage charges. It is my suspicion that last year's war between Israel and Hezbollah served to give Iran evidence that the western world will tolerate these types of activities. How far Iran is willing to go, and how the West responds will tell us much about the course of international politics. I am curious to hear your opinions and predictions.

I wrote something about last year’s war in Lebanon for a class. It was a response to a piece by Alan Keyes, and you can read it here on my profile, as soon as I find the file. I'll post it in my blog, as well as a link to Keyes's essay, if I can find one.

Really? You don't think Prince Harry is going to personally lead a daring rescue?

But seriously, I need help. The only option I see in the Community Blog menu group is ‘Blog Tracker.’ Is this my mistake? I am trying to post a blog and can’t figure out how to follow the instructions in the help section.

Edit: I think you are right. If killing British and American soldiers isn't enough to start a war, then hostage taking probably won't do it either.

Edited by FeatherFall

We'll wind up agreeing to a prisoner exchange.

If they do it would be a serious blow for PR, as UK officials condemned the Italian government for doing just that the other day. From Wikinews:

March 22, 2007

Italian journalist Daniele Mastrogiacomo who was held hostage for 15 days, was traded for five Taliban prisoners, as confirmed by Italian and Afgani authorities. ... The move received sharp criticism from allies of Italy. ... A spokesperson at the British Foreign Office said the deal sent "the wrong signal to prospective hostage-takers".

A blogger somewhere, I can't remember who, has suggested that Iran has just done something DUMB by iritating a substantial power who was vacilating on the Iranian question. I tend to agree, and that this goes beyond just what the Blair government wants and into UK public opinion. People up there are beginning to get cheesed with Muslim antics generally.

JJM

They're already offering a prisoner exchange. Do you really think Britain will go to war over this? I don't think so. And, if I'm right, I think this illustrates the huge gap in resolve between Western nations and Israel. Israel went to war over a single kidnapped soldier. Britain is unlikely to go to war over 15 kidnapped sailors.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the British military folks have been freed, most likely in a prisoner-exchange. Iran's leaders got the chance to posture to their citizens. They also got a chance to float a trial-balloon, to test the west's resolve.

Given the current situation in the west, I'm hoping the house will vote to cut off all funds to US troops, and insist that they be brought home immediately. It's a shame to send these young kids off to die in a foreign land simply as a game, where we pretend to fight a war. The troops should be brought home immediately.

This is a pretty expectable outcome. Thanks for the link to the USA today article.

I am starting entertain the notion you presented, Softwarenerd. In the absence of a properly fought war, US troops should not be endangered. It sucks that the notion that America has put its strongest foot forward and failed will be more widely accepted. I resent that notion but I really don't see much success in staying in Iraq with more and more stories like this one.

I never expected the US to unleash bombers on Tehran. However, the response (if it can be called that) to this incident has been more meek than the meekest I'd have expected. While Bush does not have the moral courage to use some type of force in response, the least he could do was to make some type of threat. Even if he was not willing to act while the Brits were being held, one would expect some type of response after they were released.

For instance, he could have said that Iranian navy ships have to stay a further nautical-mile inside their territory, because they cannot be trusted to judge when they're near the limits of their waters. I expected some such minor upping of the ante even from this battered President. I did not expect him to ask himself "what would Saddam do? ", but he's proven that he really does ask "what would Jesus do?"