Objectivism Online Forum

Tipping Threads

Rate this topic

D'kian

Why are tipping threads so controversial?

I don't mean only in this forum, but in every forum or message baord I've ever posted on. Any comment on tips or tipping, regardless of what it is, unleashes a torrent of comments, arguments, counter-arguments, nitpicking quotes, overly detailed analyses of the semantics used, etc etc, until only two or three poeple are involved in it and the rest no longer care, or even wish to take the trouble to find out what the fuss is all about.

Few other topics elicit such effect. Why should tipping do so?

Woe unto he who creates a thread about tipping prostitutes.

You need to throw in something about the endless debates on Peikoff's recommendation to vote straight Democrat.

Woe unto he who creates a thread about tipping Republican prostitutes.

Woe unto he who creates a thread about tipping prostitutes.

That's the most amusing thing I've read all day. Thank you.

Internet debates are too fast. The debaters are not as careful as they would be in a protracted debate between scholars in, for example, a journal, where the response time is necessarily at least three months. They aren't as invested, either, though they may be just as passionate. The careful deliberation between responses is lacking. I think this applies to all Internet debates, but with complex issues, the problems it causes compound over time. A faster response is more likely to contain (inadvertent) technical or procedural faults. When the facts are inconclusive or incomplete, as I think they are in these issues, and no new facts are added, a debate (Internet or otherwise) will eventually degrade into arguments over technicalities.

-Q

I think the problem is that people are unaware of what has already been written on the topiv. Internet debates are too fast. The debaters are not as careful as they would be in a protracted debate between scholars in, for example, a journal, where the response time is necessarily at least three months. They aren't as invested, either, though they may be just as passionate. The careful deliberation between responses is lacking. I think this applies to all Internet debates, but with complex issues, the problems it causes compound over time. A faster response is more likely to contain (inadvertent) technical or procedural faults. When the facts are inconclusive or incomplete, as I think they are in these issues, and no new facts are added, a debate (Internet or otherwise) will eventually degrade into arguments over technicalities.

I think the problem is that people are unaware of what has already been written on the topiv. Internet debates are too fast. The debaters are not as careful as they would be in a protracted debate between scholars in, for example, a journal, where the response time is necessarily at least three months. They aren't as invested, either, though they may be just as passionate. The careful deliberation between responses is lacking. I think this applies to all Internet debates, but with complex issues, the problems it causes compound over time. A faster response is more likely to contain (inadvertent) technical or procedural faults. When the facts are inconclusive or incomplete, as I think they are in these issues, and no new facts are added, a debate (Internet or otherwise) will eventually degrade into arguments over technicalities.

You're right about this. I tend to engage into debates without reading through all the material that has already been written on the topic. It's fun to dive right in sometimes, I don't always research as much as I should. Your comment is a good reminder for how to approach these forums as a student/scholar, as a opposed to a pure polemecist.

Thanks,

--Dan Edge

Your comment is a good reminder for how to approach these forums as a student/scholar, as a opposed to a pure polemecist.
Thanks much, though I think that Tom deserves pretty much all of the credit for the main insight.

I have a separate rant about "Preserving scholarship in the Web-age" which sometime I ought to clean up and whip out.

(I split Dan's post about that topic into a separate thread. sN)

Edited by softwareNerd
Added 'Thread split' note

I think that Tom deserves pretty much all of the credit for the main insight.

Yes. Quite.

<Qwertz checks his copyright settings.>

Indeed.

<Grin>

-Q