Objectivism Online Forum

Links to ARI Media Appearances

Rate this topic

Yup, he just got two opportunities to speak. I find that CNBC's Melissa Francis is often clueless, and in this particular case, she really did not frame the issue. On the other hand, this type of "brief snippet" TV appearance is not at all uncommon. Sometimes, its a shouting match, with nobody getting anything across, and if one can end up saying the words "Ayn Rand Institute", one can consider oneself fortunate.

Edited by softwareNerd

From ARI Media:

Peter Schwartz, former chairman of the board of directors of the Ayn Rand Institute, is scheduled to appear tomorrow, 4/11/07, on CNBC's "Morning Call" at 11:20 am Eastern time (8:20 am Pacific time) to discuss "Who is Gouging Whom," a recent ARI op-ed by David Holcberg.

I think Dr. Brook does an excellent job in his appearances. He is able to communicate something meaningful at least. He also never lets his opponents interrupt his opportunity to speak while at the same time not interrupting them unless it is absolutely necessary, such as if they are eating up all the time, even though they don't extend the same opportunity to him. I do think Yaron would have been more forceful here, particularly when the host and co-guest interrupted him two or three sentences into his opening remarks. The host addresses the co-guest three times during the clip. Each time he is given plenty of time to respond. Binswanger is only addressed twice: once interrupted and once when only a few seconds remained after which the co-guest butted in again.

That said, in this case I think the setup was so bad that nothing much could have been done with it anyway.

This also happens to be the first time I have seen Dr. Binswanger on television.

Also, given the number of appearance by ARI on this program, I find it annoying that they don't pronounce "Ayn" correctly. Apparently Dr. Binswanger feels the same way.

I used the IE Tab plugin to open an IE tab in Firefox, eventually I had to install a Flash plugin, but after that the video worked fine for me DM...

Firstly I tried Firefox, then tried Firefox with IE Tab, and then Internet Explorer by itself. It just complained about the x-mplayer plug-in. Oh, and I already have the Flash Player plug-in

I just used Firefox w/o the IE tab plug-in. Not sure what other plug-ins I have installed, but it plays fine for me.

Edit:

Under tools > content > options > file types all I see is QT, WMP, Flash, and adobe, and I'm on version 2.0.0.3

You can look there to perhaps see what is going on.

Edited by Nate

I think that keeping it in a single thread is fine if it is just brief remarks about the appearances. If anything becomes a longer discussion about the issue of the interview, etc. then I guess we should split that out into a separate thread.

Under tools > content > options > file types all I see is QT, WMP, Flash, and adobe, and I'm on version 2.0.0.3

I have those plugins and 2.0.0.3. I don't even have to look to know that.

I used both firefox and IE on Vista Home Basic and neither worked. I assumed my problem lay in Vista.

BTW how do you open an IE tab on Firefox? That could really come in handy.

I am using Home Premium, so maybe it is a Vista problem.

IE Tab is a Firefox extension that opens the IE rendering engine (not the full browser) in a Firefox tab. Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419 to get it.

P.S. The new one doesn't work either. Damn it!

Edited by DragonMaci

I see that, presumably sNerd, anticipated my next post and changed the thread title.

I guess I sort of read between the lines on your post about the upcoming appearance on this thread.

On the troubleshooting side, I'm on XP.

Edited by Nate

• 2 weeks later...

CNBC's web site has a clip of an apprearance by Peter Schwartz of ARI. This link ought to work (scroll down the page a bit); else search for "Green or Yellow". It is a segment for Green Day or Earth Day...about whether businesses ought to "go green".

Yes, it was a longer than normal segment, so he (and the other guest) were given lots of time to make their case. I loved the way he did not respond to the interviewer's question about his preferred energy source, and instead stuck with his training by saying what he had come to say. Funnily enough, it got her to repeat the question and when he did answer he ended up with a freebie response.

Edited by softwareNerd