Objectivism Online Forum

Some strange posting dates

Rate this topic

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that sometimes the posting date in the "Last Action" column of a subject forum has the wrong date. For instance, right now in the "Miscellaneous" forum, I see the following:

---------Topic Title----------------------- ... ----------Last Action------------------

Poll: Pro Choice = Pro Death Penalty?..........1st June 2004 - 11:44 AM

(Pages 1 2 3 ...9 )agree or disagree?...........Last Post by: mvkormes

But, if you click on that last post, when you go to it the post clearly shows that the posting date was "May 23 2004, 10:34 PM," not June 1. This is annoying, because it appears as if it is a new post, but it is not. I find myself clicking on what turns out to be old posts.

p.s. I know about the "View New Posts" option, but for several reasons I prefer to discover the new posts myself.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that sometimes the posting date in the "Last Action" column of a subject forum has the wrong date.

Actually, this has annoyed me too. It comes up even if one uses the "View New Posts" option. I think I know why: these threads are polls. So any time anyone adds his/her vote to the poll, it registers as a new "action." I don't know if anything can be done about it without completely reprogramming the software that runs the site, but perhaps GreedyCapitalist will let us know...

I think you are seeing this because thid thread has a poll.  I think the last date attributed may be due to someone answering the poll rather than posting a new response as a post.

Yes. It looks like everyone except me had this figured out. :D

Arrest me, officer, for politicking too near a polling place. :D

I don't know if anything can be done about it without completely reprogramming the software that runs the site, but perhaps GreedyCapitalist will let us know...

It's an option in the software. Do other people prefer that votes not bump threads? Let's have a vote ;)

It's an option in the software.  Do other people prefer that votes not bump threads?  Let's have a vote  ;)

I'd rather a poll vote not update the thread date. But, if it does, the thread should at least have the name of the last poster be the poll voter, not the last person who previously (perhaps a long time ago), made an actual post.

I'd rather a poll vote not update the thread date. But, if it does, the thread should at least have the name of the last poster be the poll voter, not the last person who previously (perhaps a long time ago), made an actual post.

I like the idea of votes bumping threads because popular no-reply threads could get lost otherwise. Having the last voter show up is not a an option in the software because it would violate the anonymity of the vote.

I like the idea of votes bumping threads because popular no-reply threads could get lost otherwise.  Having the last voter show up is not a an option in the software because it would violate the anonymity of the vote.

Both of those seem like good reasons.

But if polls were a separate category by themselves, that would satisfy my concern as well as yours. However, then the polls would not be attached to each separate subject category, and I bet that would bother someone else.

I guess that you, the moderator, just has to decide, knowing someone, somewhere, for some reason, will not be entirely happy. Life can be rough at times. ;)

Does the setting apply to new threads only, or also to existing ones? I see that the poll in the Ethics forum, "Is pro-life consistent with Objectivism?" is still updating to the current date.

Oops, I somehow missed that one forum when I updated the settings. Thanks.

I like the idea of votes bumping threads because popular no-reply threads could get lost otherwise.

I actually agree with David. The issue of letting the value of the poll "stand or fall on either of its merits" doesn't change this, because if no one is interested in the poll (if it has no merit), then they won't vote in it, and it will not get bumped to the top of the list. But if they aren't bumped, then even if it is a good poll it could quickly get lost several pages back where most people will no longer see it.

And we have relatively few polls here anyway, so it isn't too much of an inconvenience if you open it up to just quickly glance at the date of the last post to see if it is actually new. And if it's a topic you don't like, just ignore the thread.