Objectivism Online Forum

Dawkins vs. O'Reilly

Rate this topic

Right, thanks. ... so FoxNews doesn't have any copyrights that will prevent the clip from being shown on those sites?

Yeah, it does. But it's really hard to control sites like YouTube. They do have people going around deleting accounts of those who post copyrighted videos, but the job is immense, considering how many users YouTube has. It is likely that a clip from O'Reilly will get overlooked for some of the more popular videos, such as those of American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Lost, etc.

ahhh gotcha -- because I always come across videos that have been deleted on YouTube due to copyright infringements... RIP Chronic(what)cles of Narnia...

But you're probably right about the O'Reilly thing-- and it just occured to me that maybe Dawkins will post it on his website.

That was a complete let-down. Too short, Dawkins looked pissed the whole time, and O'Reilly's arguments were the things I'd expect to read on a fundy messageboard. If I'd realize they were just going to have a 4 minute debate on the existence of God, I wouldn't have bothered to watch...I thought it was gonna be about the rise of atheism or something.

This is the first time I've heard Richard Dawkins speak. I've never read any of his work either. I liked him. He was polite and he defended himself well. O'Reilly made himself look very idiotic: "It's true for me!" Dawkin's look of amusement to that comment was priceless after he explained that something can either be true or not and O'Reilly responded, "No, no!"

I normally find the many accusations leveled at O'Reilly to be either unfounded or exaggerated, but this time I won't defend him. He isn't really as prone to interrupt his guests as people like to think he is, but this time he seriously didn't let Dawkins finish a complete thought. As far as his arguments being idiotic...well, they certainly sound that way to me but, in truth, they aren't any different from what most Christians would say. I wish Dawkins had been a bit less polite and a little more confrontational.

No, it wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped it would be. I have only watched O'Reilly a few times, so I don't know everything there is to know about him, but from what I have heard of the guy, his arguments against Dawkins were just as poor as I expected them to be...

Although, doesn't O'Reilly have somewhat of a reputation for going nuts with these conversations? He seemed pretty reserved, and he even gave Dawkins a nod at the end, saying that his book was fascinating, or something like that... Obviously that's expected professional courtesy for a talk show host, but from what I have heard about O'Reilly, he usually doesn't give in to things like that..

And I was surprised to see Dawkins so calm, cool, and collected... but then again, the only other clip I have seen of the man is from that interview he did with Ted Haggard, where he was almost yelling at him.